Shooting practice | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Shooting practice

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
Hopefully this weeks training has been focused on shooting practice.

Possession doesn't win games, especially when half of it is back and forth between the defenders.

Last game 63% possession 1 Shot.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
The more of the ball you have, the more opportunities you have the ability create, and the fewer opportunities your opponents have the ability to create. Generally speaking. Our possession based style has us 4th and more often than not works. We don't pass for the sake of passing, we often pass to try and draw the opposition in, shifting them out of their formation and then we hit them and make an incisive pass. That didn't happen against Cambridge, granted partly because we looked a bit shy when we had shooting opportunities, but most because we looked jaded, and because Cambridge sat very deep, a lot deeper than most sides, and weren't really motivated to score/win the game. Bradford will come out and play a lot more than Cambridge did & we'll create better opportunities for it. Cambridge was 1 game, but it seems to have provoked an oddly disproportionate reaction among fans.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
I have some sympathy with the comment. In the last two games we were very guilty of ignoring the opportunities to shoot when there were clear opportunities to at least test the keepers. We were preferring to pass out wide instead.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
The concern I had from Saturday was that we had 14 shots but only 1 on target and, looking back to the game before that (Macclesfield) we had 15 shots with 3 on target. So in the last two games, ones that I feel we probably should have won if we are genuine automatic promotion contenders, we had 29 shots (plenty) but only 4 on target (not enough). However we do it, we need to be creating more on-target goal attempts.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Last game was tough because every time we got forward they had 10 men behind the ball. BUT, that being said it was of our own making. Yes the passing football is nice to see, but we need to do it with some speed.

Every time we won the ball on Saturday it was shared around the team slowly enough that Cambridge got back into their defensive formation and there was nowhere to go.

Personally, I'd like to see more decisive, quicker play rather than shooting practice. If we get the ball in the final 3rd before the opposition are able to set up to defend we'll get loads more quality chances to practice those shooting skills.

Sep 6, 2006
The Doctor":xolylqfq said:
The concern I had from Saturday was that we had 14 shots but only 1 on target and, looking back to the game before that (Macclesfield) we had 15 shots with 3 on target. So in the last two games, ones that I feel we probably should have won if we are genuine automatic promotion contenders, we had 29 shots (plenty) but only 4 on target (not enough). However we do it, we need to be creating more on-target goal attempts.

And I think the 3 shots v Macc included 2 from the penalty!

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Think there’s quite a bit of over reaction to the Cambridge result. The previous home game was a really good performance and we scored a brilliant goal from Jephcott following a swift break by Moore. Occasionally, some teams will come and set up to avoid defeat (PTB) like Cambridge did. Sometimes we will defeat their tactics, sometimes we won’t. That’s football. We are 4 unbeaten. Every chance we will beat Bradford this weekend in front of their critical fans.
W A A A W
:scarf:

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
I'd also like to see the ball passed quickly and behind the defenders into space with our forwards holding a line just in their half, so a ball can be passed between the defenders line and the 18 yard box. This would allow our diminutive forwards to attack using their strengths, instead of having a 6'4 gorilla over their shoulders and them trying to win a crossed ball.

At the moment it looks like we'd rather go to the line every time, before checking and passing back for someone else to hit a cross in, which ultimately gets cleared more often than not.

Jul 12, 2016
argobenz":1tn25ljc said:
Hopefully this weeks training has been focused on shooting practice.

Possession doesn't win games, especially when half of it is back and forth between the defenders.

Last game 63% possession 1 Shot.
Agreed!

Jul 12, 2016
The Doctor":bjsu0fb4 said:
Careful you'll be accused of being a moaner if you highlight our weaknesses!

metroace

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
The Doctor":23l1wo3n said:

Does this depend on the definition of “on target”? Does this discount the shots that were accurate but were blocked before they reached the goalkeeper? Because in both of those games, there were a multitude of attempts that were blocked by the opposition defence so the disparity between shots and shots on target may not be because the shots were somehow NOT on target, just that they did not get past a blocking defender.

Jul 12, 2016
:nworthy:
metroace":6z7rdxxa said:
The Doctor":6z7rdxxa said:

Does this depend on the definition of “on target”? Does this discount the shots that were accurate but were blocked before they reached the goalkeeper? Because in both of those games, there were a multitude of attempts that were blocked by the opposition defence so the disparity between shots and shots on target may not be because the shots were somehow NOT on target, just that they did not get past a blocking defender.
Talk about clutching at straws!

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
oldage":yvbssjhj said:
The Doctor":yvbssjhj said:
Careful you'll be accused of being a moaner if you highlight our weaknesses!

Except that in my book there is a difference between sometimes making a short comment about a perceived area of weakness (not moaning) and continually finding fault in pretty much everything almost for the sake of it (moaning).