5 year plan | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

5 year plan

Jan 27, 2012
It might be possible to have a 5-year plan based on gearing up club finances and infrastructure.

However, its not possible to have a plan which involves playing in a particular league within 5 years because success on the pitch is very difficult to predict.

Personally, I think that being a top 6 League One club is realistic in the medium term. If that leads to promotion, it would be very challenging for Argyle to remain sustainable in the modern Championship unless they sell some players for big money OR can substantially increase attendances.

I like the fact that the club and thinking along these lines though.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
What must be a concern is that the club even in EFL division 2 is still not sustainable,despite getting some of the best attendances the club has ever had in this division at admission prices that rank amongst the most expensive......

Argyle Nutter

Golf Liaison Officer ⛳️
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
On the sunny side of the street
Not sure you can include the finances for the past 2 years when looking at sustainability Al, As we are all aware there has bee limited income & substantial expenditures during the refurbishment of the grand stand. Obviously having to out source the corporate side of things including additional transport cost to ferry patrons from the Duke of Cornwall would have reduced any profit or even run at loss. It’s how the finances faired before & after the refurb that count. Hopefully over the next couple of years Argyle can increase the brand & benefit from the investment from both the Club finances & the generosity of Mr & Mrs Hallett.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Work in progress Al, I'm sure we're getting there.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
If, on average, Championship clubs are losing £6m per annum, and only 3 of them can reach the ‘promised land’ in one season, there may be more than one of them going into liquidation. I assume that, by mentioning the range he means that some are losing substantially more than £6m per annum and some less.
The alternative for them may be to take the ‘Hallett route’ to become sustainable which would make us in a better position to compete.
We already know that some of them are being investigated with regard to FFP.
No one can predict what clubs will be in the Championship in 5 years time but I am happy to go with the Hallett plan.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
1) Be sustainable
2) Everything else

Without sustainability you live on someone’s else’s trust and interest.

davie nine":2xv36wa5 said:
If, on average, Championship clubs are losing £6m per annum, and only 3 of them can reach the ‘promised land’ in one season, there may be more than one of them going into liquidation. I assume that, by mentioning the range he means that some are losing substantially more than £6m per annum and some less.
The alternative for them may be to take the ‘Hallett route’ to become sustainable which would make us in a better position to compete.
No one can predict what clubs will be in the Championship in 5 years time but I am happy to go with the Hallett plan.

Agree with all this davie nine, but just to add that the last report I read in the Guardian last year suggested an average loss of £11 million per annum.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Having watched the interview I am just SO glad that Mr & Mrs Hallett are involved with my football club. :thumbs: :scarf:

ChepstowGreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
♣️ SWAG Member
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 1, 2006
davie nine":3efi55ou said:

:iagree:

Great post. Just getting there and being sustainable might be the perfect ticket in this odd, dangerous world of massive over spending.

As others fall around us, we may be in a strong position to take advantage. Having a chip and a chair, to coin a poker analogy..

I'd certainly take that over a reckless gamble that's for sure, although that surely also goes for 99.9% of Argyle fans.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
davie nine":k3z83pmv said:
I need to change the average annual loss figure for Championship clubs in my post. I, mistakenly, calculated the annual figure as £6m whereas, in fact, it is £26m (I used £500k as a monthly figure whereas it was weekly).
Apologies, but it makes the average losses much more serious.

Aug 8, 2013
The most encouraging aspect of this to my ears is that the Academy has
been highlighted as one of the pillars to be focused on. Over the years,
many have pooh-poohed the idea of our location being a large impediment to
success as mere excuse-making, but Steve Castle's comments on the You Tube
interview showed that it is a bona fide problem. Our location could, however, be
turned to our advantage, if we can develop a stronger system, obtain an upgrade
in the Academy status, and ensure that we get first dibs on talent in the huge area
at our disposal. Barring a huge financial input from an outside investor, which
I for one do not want to see, I feel a stronger Academy is our best way forward.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
It is very encouraging to hear that we have identified that a strong Academy is one of the main objectives of a our 5 year plan.

It has been invaluable that, in the last 2 years, our young players have been able to compete against Premier League Academies in the Premier League Cup.

Having watched several of these games at Home Park and on ifollow, I would suggest that we have Mike Cooper and Adam Randell who have compared favourably with their Premier Academy opponents. In addition, we have Luke Jephcott who has not been used in these games recently due to first team commitments.

My observations, as a ‘lay’ supporter, are that several of our other Academy products are not lacking in skill or commitment but that the difference in pace and strength on the ball is very noticeable.

May 28, 2019
they definitely need to sort the academy, southampton fc are running coaching sessions at callington college for 2 to 6 year olds, they are in our back yard so to say,its called saints south west :crazy:

May 8, 2011
ChepstowGreen":3dzbcv6h said:
davie nine":3dzbcv6h said:

:iagree:

Great post. Just getting there and being sustainable might be the perfect ticket in this odd, dangerous world of massive over spending.

As others fall around us, we may be in a strong position to take advantage. Having a chip and a chair, to coin a poker analogy..

I'd certainly take that over a reckless gamble that's for sure, although that surely also goes for 99.9% of Argyle fans.

Aren’t we also overspending but in League 2, the Chairman/Owner said at Senior Greens in December that the current level of expenditure is unsustainable for League 2. Couldn’t that be considered reckless?