"The Argyle Brand" ...Words fail me ! | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

"The Argyle Brand" ...Words fail me !

nikkk

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 8, 2011
"Delivering high-quality product to our fans, and non-fans, helps our brand. Frankly, the Argyle brand has not been a good one since administration. It’s been associated with poor quality, the ‘same old Argyle’ nonsense."

Ouch ... Well out of order Mr H. James deserves better than that.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
It’s the non bubble-wrapped truth of it though. The club did seem amateurish on lots of levels, not just due to a lack of money either, but perhaps due to a slackness which Hallett & Parkinson have shaken up, and it’s good to hear that publicly admitted. We’re turning into a really professional club now and it’s great to see, bright future that I don’t think we’d be looking at without Simon, Jane and his team. I’m also pretty sure Simon hasn’t aimed those comments at James Brent personally.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
I'm sure that Simon wasn't referring to James with those comments. We know only too well on here about Argyle being associated with 'poor quality' and 'same old Argyle' comments.
That 'same old' is something I've put up with all my life tbh. Many people in Plymouth 'enjoy' not being Argyle supporters!!

James pulled us back from the brink.
Think medical care: James is the paramedic who attends the scene of your trauma;
Simon etc. have the luxury of being the physio and rehabilitation team who get you back on your feet, back to where you should be.
Without the 'Paramedic', you might be dead or damaged too much to recover fully. You need saving first!

So I'm happy o have Simon in charge but I'll never criticise James Brent for saving my club! :scarf:

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Pogleswoody":3tueknp3 said:
I'm sure that Simon wasn't referring to James with those comments. We know only too well on here about Argyle being associated with 'poor quality' and 'same old Argyle' comments.
That 'same old' is something I've put up with all my life tbh. Many people in Plymouth 'enjoy' not being Argyle supporters!!

James pulled us back from the brink.
Think medical care: James is the paramedic who attends the scene of your trauma;
Simon etc. have the luxury of being the physio and rehabilitation team who get you back on your feet, back to where you should be.
Without the 'Paramedic', you might be dead or damaged too much to recover fully. You need saving first!

So I'm happy o have Simon in charge but I'll never criticise James Brent for saving my club! :scarf:

A fine analogy Mr P, nothing more needs be said.

May 8, 2011
So what does he mean by the ‘poor quality’ and ‘same old Argyle’ since administration and who does he think was responsible for it? I have nothing but huge respect for all the staff who worked at Argyle through administration and after.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
HC Green":m3vng1xc said:
So what does he mean by the ‘poor quality’ and ‘same old Argyle’ since administration and who does he think was responsible for it? I have nothing but huge respect for all the staff who worked at Argyle through administration and after.

Poor ticket office and system, poor website, poor social media feeds, poorly run academy, lack of local engagement and drumming up support, poor/a lack of entertainment/enjoyment at Home Park, last seasons on field debacle. There are a number of things, all of which are now improving vastly. I don’t think Hallett’s comments are directed at the hard working staff at the club, whom we all appreciate, more the overall running & direction.

May 8, 2011
Cobi Budge":3pc4j8xt said:
HC Green":3pc4j8xt said:

Poor ticket office and system, poor website, poor social media feeds, poorly run academy, lack of local engagement and drumming up support, poor/a lack of entertainment/enjoyment at Home Park, last seasons on field debacle. There are a number of things, all of which are now improving vastly. I don’t think Hallett’s comments are directed at the hard working staff at the club, whom we all appreciate, more the overall running & direction.

The attendances increased year on year in the period following administration so the public must have liked the product?

As for the poorly run Academy how do account for Jephcott, Cooper and Randell?

As for the ticket office, I had far more moans about it this year than in previous years, and had no joy in my correspondence with the CE whereas Martyn Starnes was far more approachable and was interested in dealing with ordinary fan’s problems.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
i don't think he aimed anything at james brent.that was a very interesting read.we are in very good hands and i particularly like the fact of bringing through our own players.

Jun 27, 2019
HC Green":24fy3t27 said:
Cobi Budge":24fy3t27 said:
HC Green":24fy3t27 said:

The attendances increased year on year in the period following administration so the public must have liked the product?

As for the ticket office, I had far more moans about it this year than in previous years, and had no joy in my correspondence with the CE whereas Martyn Starnes was far more approachable and was interested in dealing with ordinary fan’s problems.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
HC Green":2chy6r4w said:
Cobi Budge":2chy6r4w said:
HC Green":2chy6r4w said:

Attendances increase when results improve, that’s just football. With the academy, I think it’s obvious that it hasn’t been well utilised particularly when you compare it to other League 2 clubs, Exeter especially, our academy-first team success ratio over the years has been really poor, and efforts are clearly being made to correct that, efforts such as ensuring the same style of football is played at all levels, replacing the old regime with Neil Dewsnip and Darren Way (two very impressive appointments), as well as the active role Ryan Lowe seems to be playing. As for your ticket office point, I guess that’s a matter of opinion, personally my dealings with the ticket office this season in person and over the phone have been excellent and much better than in recent years. I also liked Martin Starnes and found him extremely approachable and had several good conversations with him, however the same can be said for Andrew Parkinson this season and that was another impressive appointment. It’s also worth mentioning we now have a much more comprehensive and esteemed board than we used to, assisting and working around the CEO. So to me, there isn’t a a single aspect of the club that isn’t improving now, under Simon Hallett and his team, and that isn’t me slating or under-appreciating the efforts of the staff over the last few years, but recognition that we’re taking things to a new level, a much more professional, forward thinking level.

Feb 8, 2005
nikkk":3pccztre said:
"Delivering high-quality product to our fans, and non-fans, helps our brand. Frankly, the Argyle brand has not been a good one since administration. It’s been associated with poor quality, the ‘same old Argyle’ nonsense."

Ouch ... Well out of order Mr H. James deserves better than that.

Nothing to do with Brent.

He just happened to buy the Club to save it from seriously going out of business.

There is no doubt that Argyle struggled after we came out of administration, both on and off the field of play, but he did stabilise the Club and passed it on to someone who could improve it vastly.

Brent's finances dictated the way the Club was run, and it was at rock bottom when he took over.

Good on James Brent for what he did, for getting the Club back on its feet again, it was not an easy thing to do for someone who was not a football supporter.

The Club is now in a much better position, thanks to the groundwork by Brent, and is and has been improving in leaps and bounds since he passed it on.

So let us remember the state of the Club when we came out of administration and let us remember that "The Argyle Brand" was on its knees at that time.

And let us thank the Hallets for what they have done, and are doing and what they are attempting to do for the future success of "The Argyle Brand".

Big Green Limo

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Feb 9, 2020
In a better place
Nicking Chris Beard from Exeter was the key for the Academy - just look at what Jay Stansfield (X Exeter Academy) did last night.

Good that Nance recognises publicly that we were 2nd Best last night and he owned up by saying that :-

“We will keep working, we’ve got some boys knocking on the door [of the first-team] but we want
more than one or two, we want six or seven. It’s going to be difficult but that’s what youth
football is all about."

Long way to go to match fan owned Exeter's Academy though (13 out of 16 players in their U23 draw with Doncaster from their academy) but in meantime our ability to spend will cover gaps until academy production rate improves.

We'll know when we are there when opposition managers give praise like this (https://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/new ... ave-faced/ ) :-

“They are a really good organised team and I’m happy with a draw, their principles of play mirror everything they do at
first-team level. That’s the type of level that this group needs to get to, and I’m confident we will get there over the next
couple of years.

“It was a real test for us, they are the best team we have faced this season without a shadow of a doubt but it’s a great
learning curve for the young players.”

Like Doncaster admit I guess it will take a few years to 'hit the mark'.

PS After promotion may be we can get Jay Stansfield on loan ?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
To me 'Same old Argo' applies to matters on the pitch.

I must have shouted to at least four times viewing the Colchester match and I have little doubt that I'll shout it a few times before the end of the season.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Interesting that the op uses “Same old Argyle” as a stick to beat Simon Hallett with when it’s the “Same old Argyle mentality He (the op) is showing.

There has always been too many factions at Argyle to pull in a straight line. What is right for one group of people always finds resistance from another and usually friends of the person they think is being slighted. With a professional structure being slowly put into place we are seeing the benefits of the last 5 years and more of people that were needed when they were needed.

It’s no criticism of James Brent to say that his ability to sustain the football club was not at Championship level but his steadying hand allowed us to stop sinking. SH has now been the person to inject the much needed capital to finally get the stadium complete and in the process has built a facility that will hopefully see an improvement year on year for his investment.

We wouldn’t have the Grandstand and facilities without SH. We wouldn’t have the fan bars without the GTs that will eventually come within the greater PAFC vision but right now the GTs and investors have been able to allow SH to concentrate on the infrastructure without that monetary burden.

As a fan, SH has been able to do what we all would do if we could so let’s be grateful for the vision he has for the bricks and mortar and for the boots in the ground that will be benefitting Argyle for many years to come.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Ade the green":m2f5wpm1 said:
Interesting that the op uses “Same old Argyle” as a stick to beat Simon Hallett with when it’s the “Same old Argyle mentality He (the op) is showing.

There has always been too many factions at Argyle to pull in a straight line. What is right for one group of people always finds resistance from another and usually friends of the person they think is being slighted. With a professional structure being slowly put into place we are seeing the benefits of the last 5 years and more of people that were needed when they were needed.

It’s no criticism of James Brent to say that his ability to sustain the football club was not at Championship level but his steadying hand allowed us to stop sinking. SH has now been the person to inject the much needed capital to finally get the stadium complete and in the process has built a facility that will hopefully see an improvement year on year for his investment.

We wouldn’t have the Grandstand and facilities without SH. We wouldn’t have the fan bars without the GTs that will eventually come within the greater PAFC vision but right now the GTs and investors have been able to allow SH to concentrate on the infrastructure without that monetary burden.

As a fan, SH has been able to do what we all would do if we could so let’s be grateful for the vision he has for the bricks and mortar and for the boots in the ground that will be benefitting Argyle for many years to come.

:clap: