Administrator
Apr 3, 2013

Grimsby Town
Official website
Fans forum
Twitter

Countdown to Grimsby

Sunday

David Rock is the referee for the game, it's his first season as an EFL official after being promoted from the National League. So far this season he has issued 85 yellow cards and four reds in 25 games, he was the man in the middle for Argyle's 2-2 draw at Crawley in September earlier this season. Rock officiated in the Doncaster v Wycombe League One game on Saturday.
He will be assisted on Tuesday by Matthew Lee and Mike Desborough while the fourth official is Kevin Morris.

Grimsby Town fan Rob Sedgwick has kindly agreed to give Pasoti users an insight into his club with a Q&A ...
Q: What are your thoughts on Grimsby's season so far?
A: The season was going nowhere until Ian Holloway arrived. I still don’t understand why he is here, but we’ll take him. He really has been a breath of fresh air and has injected enthusiasm and belief throughout the squad and the fanbase. His signings has been good and he’s also getting more out of the players we had.

Q: What are your views on manager Ian Holloway?
A: He’s obviously very experienced but he hasn’t lost his hunger for the game. A lot of managers his age who once had what it takes, drop down the leagues and basically are on the way out, last a few months/years until they get another pay day and then move on another rung down. IH seems the real deal, he might slightly “old school” in some of the ways he approaches the game, but he’s good at getting the most out of players and supporters generally warm to his enthusiasm and the way he approaches the game.

Q: Given the recent financial problems and ownership issues of lower league clubs are Grimsby in a stable state at the moment?
A: Yes we are relatively stable. We do owe money but it’s all in the form of loans to directors. We really need a new ground to take the club upwards as Blundell Park is really holding us back, it’s been frustrating to watch other teams overtake us.

Q: What are your expectations and predicted finishing position in League Two for this season?
A: To be honest I expected another mid-table finish and that’s probably what we are going to get. Had we had IH for the season then we’d but up there, so with crowds up and a bigger budget we’re definitely a good bet for promotion in the pre-season ante post betting!

Q: Without giving too much away what style of football and formation are Grimsby likely to use against Argyle?
A: We usually play 4-3-3 with our number 9 James Hanson being the main outlet.

Q:: Looking from afar what are your views on Plymouth Argyle?
A: I see you as a League One club really and thought you were fairly unlucky to go down last season. You seem to be getting it together results wise.  I’d expected you to at least make the play-offs this year and that looks to be the case.

Q:: And finally do you have a prediction for the game?
A: A repeat of our unexpected 3-1 win at Exeter! I think we won 3-0 there in 2016-2017.
------------------------------------

Major Grimsby shareholder John Fenty recently announced he is stepping back from day-to-day involvement to allow manager Ian Holloway to "drive the club forward", he says ...
"Ian will have more freedom and autonomy to shape on-the-field matters than any other manager within the English Football League.
"Ian Holloway (Ollie) with his vast experience intends to drive the club forward both on and off the field, having special responsibilities as the director responsible for all football operations.
"The board has signed off on our largest playing budget for next season at this level, although it's fair to say there will be several bigger spenders in the division."
Since taking over at Grimsby at the end of December Holloway has won six games, drawn three and lost four; following Saturday's 3-0 home defeat against Northampton Town the Mariners occupy 14th place in League Two.

The match is available on iFollow for UK based subscribers.

Argyle v Grimsby is part of the Sky Super Six prediction competition.

Monday

Sky Bet have placed an Argyle win at 3/4, a win for Grimsby has odds of 10/3 and the draw is on offer at 13/5.

Ian Holloway's pre-match press conference ... Grimsby Live

Home Park guide for Grimsby fans ..... Grimsby club website

Match Sponsors

Ian Holloway talks about his time as Argyle manager and his return to Home Park on Tuesday.... Grimsby Live
“They’re green and white through and through, they wanted me to be that, and I was to a point until I decided I didn’t think the board wanted to take the club where they said they were going to take it.
“You have disagreements, but when I left, I didn’t make a mountain out of a molehill, and I took the blame for me going mid-season. I will never, ever go anywhere else mid-season ever again.
“I don’t feel that’s right, because of what I did and how it felt to the supporters.
“I got very, very despondent because I didn’t want them to concentrate on the ground, I wanted them to concentrate on the team and my players.
“It’s a long story, and I’m so glad that they’re moving forward.
“I’m so glad that the ground is being redeveloped now for them. I felt the team we had could have done that, since then they’ve gone down a couple of times, and now they’re trying to get back up, and it hasn’t been easy."
There will be no football special buses for the game ... club website

Tuesday

Argyle have played Grimsby 17 times at Home Park, winning nine games, drawing four and losing four.

Grimsby Stats

Matchday Mascots .. club website

Inside Grimsby

Ryan Lowe looks ahead to the game ... club website

Former Argyle winger Chris Hargreaves is the half-time guest.

The Grimsby Campaign

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
I wonder what sort of reception Mr Holloway will receive :shh:

This won't be an easy game, Ollie will want to prove a point after not getting interviewed for the Argyle job in the summer.

Could be a very open game but we need 3 points if we want to keep automatic promotion hopes alive. After starting with the manager of the month trophy it's been a poor month for Ryan and the team.

Hope Ollie gets a decent reception and we concentrate on supporting the team rather than making it all about Ollie (which he will thrive off)

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The shrew faced lying Bristolian will get the usual from me. Complete and utter indifference. :greensmile:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I couldn't care less what he is.

Are you a fawning fan of his then Clive? I can't imagine you are.

Mar 8, 2016
he won’t get any kind of reception. The home park crowd has become a bit tame over the years.

Kentishgreen":3qsx2zhg said:
“ No reception at all” is precisely what the little weasel deserves

It would definitely be better if there is no reception from people who don't like him.

If he theres boo's and such then i guarantee it will fire up his players to go up a notch for him.

This is a huge game for us, let's get behind our team and manager and not make it the Holloway show.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Army green":2jlir7i0 said:
he won’t get any kind of reception. The home park crowd has become a bit tame over the years.

I personally think they’ll be a bit of anti Holloway...

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I hope he gets a good reception, or at the very least not a bad one. Accept other views because it’s an emotive subject, but he delivered the best football I’ve ever seen us play. My Dad/family knew him well when he was here, a really good bloke. Used to drink on the Barbican with the locals. He recognises he made a mistake and has made efforts to atone, everyone’s entitled to a mistake. Obviously hope we send him back to Grimsby miserable but I think it’ll be good to see him back.