Brief Synopsis!!! (Grimsby)

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Jul 28, 2010
1) With Sarcevic and Sawyer suspended there was always going to be changes. Conor Grant took Sarcevic's spot with Cooper replacing Sawyer and McFadzean switching to left side centre back. The surprise was Hardie in for Edwards with Moore to right wing back. Cleal filled the remaining slot on the bench.

2) Argyle 3 up by half time with a header from Bakinson, a fine individual goal by Hardie and an emphatic finish by Jephcott the ball may well have crossed the line first before his finish. Before Bakinson opened the scoring Hardie hit the inside of the post and had a goal disallowed for handball (although Grimsby had stopped before his shot.

3) Palmer largely a spectator in the first half although he did have to scramble to make a couple of interceptions. The defence managed to make a couple of iffy passes but we covered well and there was little threat. Grimsby played the now familiar hassling tactic but our passes tonight were crisp and incisive.

4) Hardie and Jephcott had good first 45s and showed good understanding between them, Mayor and, the surprisingly efficient, Conor Grant. Bakinson too had a good half although he was a bit too casual on occasions. No-one had a poor first half.

5) Grimsby started the second with lots of possession but there was little real threat. Argyle looked dangerous on the counter. Bakinson won a free kick then Jephcott won a corner. Bakinson was unlucky not to get a penalty - classic case of staying on his feet when a dive would have seen it given.

6) Grimsby were making some nice approach play but couldnt get into the final third. Argyle a little bit casual with possession as typical with a team with a weighty lead. Palmer was called into serious action for the first time in the 65th minute. For a few minutes after Argyle just couldnt clear it.

7) Hardie was first to a ball in midfield and almost finished off the same move but his flick off Cooper's cross hit the keeper's heels. Then a few minutes later his superb chip cross was volleyed onto the bar by Jephcott. Edward's replaced Cooper, Moore swapping flanks. Grimsby now started hitting the deck - the ref completely fooled. It's obviously an ex-QPR thing.

8 ) Edward's missed an open goal near the end from a tight angle after the keeper spilled Mayor's shot. Tayls replaced Jephcott then a few moments later Telford came on for a limping Ryan Hardie. The game drifted into injury time.

9) A good win and a much better performance although the second half was largely forgettable. Good games for all 3 scorers and the two youngsters up front worked very hard. For hitting the post and almost scoring 2 more than the one he got, Hardie was my motm.

Alex Palmer - 7
Callum McFadzean - 7
Niall Canavan - 7
Scott Wootton - 7
Byron Moore - 7
Conor Grant- 7
Tareeq Bakinson - 8
Danny Mayor - 7
George Cooper - 7
Luke Jephcott - 8
Ryan Hardie - 9

Mike Cooper - unused
Adam Randell - unused
Jarvis Cleal - unused
Joe Edwards - 5
Joel Grant - unused
Ryan Taylor - 5
Dominic Telford - 5

Jan 6, 2004
I am amazed you scored Bakinson higher than Cooper. Cooper was man of match for me by a country mile, my heart was in my mouth every time Bakison had the ball. I would have given Cooper 9 and Bakinson 6

Sep 18, 2004
West in East Anglia
A good first half, followed by a change in shape by Grimsby made an even second half.

We did not change ourselves to counteract them.

A good result for us up the road, now the run in starts in earnest.

RKB

ā™£ļø PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
An excellent first half performance, and a professional job in the second half.
Ryan Hardie made such a difference up front- clever, incisive and with a real goal scorers instinct- the volley that hit the post was sumptuous.
I thought we were good all over the pitch. Bakinson had his best game for a while, although his languid style in possession worries everyone, and does occasionally lead to trouble. And Conor Grant was tidy, assured and more mobile than I have seen him in a midfield role.
Luke Jephcott gets better and better- he has added strength and decent control back to goal to his natural inclination to run the channels. His ability to find space in the final third is hugely impressive.
And the final words for George Cooper. His deliveries have been sorely missed, and on another night he could have had 3 or 4 assists, rather than just the one.
Roll on Macclesfield..

Palmer 7
Wootton 7
Canavan 8
McFadzean 7
Moore 7
Bakinson 7
C.Grant 8
Mayor 7
Cooper 8
Hardie 9
Jephcott 8

Edwards 6
Taylor 6
Telford N/A

up the line

šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
I thought Hardie was outstanding. Hit the post with a great effort. Took his goal excellently. Provided a subtle dink that Jephcott nearly scored from.
Really hope he can continue this form and would bite your hand off to sign him permanently

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
How did Edwards miss that? Side foot from inside the six yard box and it hit the post!!!
Superb volleyed effort from Jephcott following a perfect chipped pass from Mayor.
Also the rare sight of a Mayor strike at goal just before the Edwards miss.
Disappointing we didnā€™t build on that half time lead but we failed to get the ball forward so quickly which kind of nullified the front two who had done so well in the first half.

Jun 27, 2006
Plymouth
Green_Flash":kq8q4zhn said:
I am amazed you scored Bakinson higher than Cooper. Cooper was man of match for me by a country mile, my heart was in my mouth every time Bakison had the ball. I would have given Cooper 9 and Bakinson 6

Bakinson bossed the midfield tonight. Scored one and created one. I would say he was on par with cooper. Glad he shut up the ones always moaning about him sat behind me.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
A cracking first half won the match and moved us up the third place!

Ryan Lowe strayed a little from his tried and tested formula with a new formation for the first half with Conor Grant and Tyreeq Bakinson sitting in front of the back three with Danny Mayor playing a central role behind the two strikers in a 3-4-1-2 formation.
It was this line-up that played the attacking and entertaining football that tore apart a shocked Grimsby side, although to be fair the Mariners did have a good start.
Billy Clarke was able to find space ( and show he's not an out and out striker) and cause a few problems but once we got to grips with him and our new formation there was only going to be one winner.

The movement and pace of Hardie and Jephcott upfront, often playing on the shoulder of the last defender, gave us a new attacking dimension.
Hardie hit a post following a good move and Conor Grant ran the length of the pitch with the ball to set up another chance.
The goal finally arrived when Assist King George Cooper floated in a superb cross and there was Bakinson to head in at far post, it all seemed to take place in slow motion but the end result was a goal.

The second goal soon followed when Bakinson sent a great pass into Hardie who raced away, beat the offside trap, rounded the Grimsby keeper and slotted home. Easy.

Jephcott was rewarded with a goal when a Niall Canavan headed was saved by the Grimsby keeper and Jephcott scrambled the ball over the line with Hardie in close attendance.
3-0 at half-time and it could have been more.

Lowe switched back to his usual 3-1-4-2 formation for the second half, in hindsight it was a strange decision because we lost all attacking momentum and it allowed Grimsby to attack us and cause problems.
Maybe because the game was won Lowe wanted to just sit and defend the lead with another game coming up on Saturday.
Grant wasn't so effective in this formation which was a shame because he looked on course to be Man of the Match.
Grimsby had their moments and Palmer had to be alert to make a few good saves.

We rarely attacked until the final 10 minutes of the game when Jephcott hit the crossbar with a volley and substitute Edwards hit the post with the goal gaping, this followed a great shot from Mayor that was tipped away. During the game we hit the left post, right post and crossbar.

No matter, the first half was fantastic and it was good to see Lowe tweak his formation when previously he wanted to stick to Plan A.

Jephcott had a great game, his movement and his eye for space is something you see in a more experienced striker, whenever a midfielder is looking for a forward pass Jephcott is on the move, the ball doesn't always come his way but the runs he makes will bring him goals.

Hardie was also in a class of his own, his pace caused problems throughout the game and he could have finished the game with a hat trick.

We rarely lose when George Cooper plays and it was another assist for him today, it helped him and fellow wing-back Byron Moore that Grant and Bakinson sat deep in the first half because they could shuffle across and help. Cooper was more exposed in the second half due to the change back to the usual formation.
Maybe Cooper is carrying an injury and can't play in every game?

Conor Grant looked a totally different player in the first half, strong in the tackle, moving the ball quick, the second half formation didn't suit him, as we've seen before.

Mayor didn't really fit into the new formation, he didn't see a lot of the ball, it worked for the team but no so well for him, he saw a lot more of the ball when he moved back to his usual position in the second half.

Bakinson made a few mistakes but he did score and can claim an assist so it was a good game for him.

The defence was solid, McFadzean did have a few wobbles but noting that cost us. Canavan was our fourth captain of the season.

It was just a pity that we didn't go on to score another two or three in the second half.

I'd like to see the first half formation again on Saturday, it really suited the team and the current available players but Mayor needs to work on how to play behind the two strikers.

Man of the Match - Jephcott.

Palmer 7, Wootton 7, Canavan 7, McFadzean 6, Bakinson 7, Grant 7, Moore 7, Cooper 7, Mayor 7, Jephcott 9, Hardie 8. Subs - Edwards 6, Telford n/a, Taylor n/a.

Aug 11, 2013
Agree all the above but thought Mcfadzean had an awful game. Nearly gave away a pen at 0-0. Made lots of wrong decisions. Several times it called for
the back pass and he turned and lost possession. Gave away possession a lot as well. Looked a bit of a headless chicken. Got away with it tonight but not the answer for me.

Cooper must start every remaining game. Why is he always subbed? Very enjoyable game and possibly players told to conserve some energy second half for Sat.

Think thereā€™s still room for improvement and we may not yet have peaked which is good news.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
We donā€™t lose often but when we do we respond brilliantly, look at our record this season - we havenā€™t lost 2 in a row as of yet & more often than not we respond to a defeat with a win. That shows character, some people say we donā€™t have enough of it, when we obviously do.

Jan 6, 2004
Bakinson had some good moments but as ever gave the ball away far too many times and was lucky in being fouled a couple of times when he had already lost control or given the ball away. He is capable of good stuff but personally I will never feel comfortable with him on the ball.

Still donā€™t want to get too bogged down on that. Super team performance, the best in quite a long time and a joy to see just when I was starting to worry we were following the Adams pattern of a couple of lucky victories before the wheels come off....

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Really enjoyed that performance tonight. Superb first half and whilst the second half we obviously took our foot off the gas a bit, we still hit the woodwork twice to add to the one in the first half, plus Taylor passed up a very good opportunity to score. My man of the match was Hardie who looks a real handful and has the pace to scare defenders. I expect him to get better and better as his match fitness reaches its peak. How great to have two strikers, both amongst the goals. For me, Cooper was certainly not man of the match. His corners and free kicks are usually wasted and defensively it is obvious in game after game, that teams attack us down that flank. Thatā€™s why Lowe took him off. Heā€™s a good player, just not as good as some people think IMO.

Grimsby had more of the bill second half, but created very little and in the end we kept a comfortable clean sheet. We could easily have won 5 or 6-0. Hopefully a few of the doubters who say we have no chance of automatic promotion, or even the play offs someone said at the weekend, will give themselves a reality check. This side will be there right to the end and I expect them to go up in the first three.
W A A A W
:scarf:

Aug 8, 2013
A few things we learned / reconfirmed tonight:

Conor Grant CAN contribute, but his best position remains elusive.
Jephcott has the striker's instinct.
Hardie is a superb finisher.
Bakinson still looks like he's going to fall over every time he gets the ball
(great pass for the second goal, though).
Danny Mayor is a disappointment.
George Cooper is at his best with a fire up his backside after being left out.
Canavan could make a good captain.
We are being treated to more than our fair share of candidates for miss of the season.