Our attendance figures? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Our attendance figures?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I would imagine they're very similar to these days.

20vMHfO.jpg

Jul 14, 2008
Surprising how big Torquay’s average attendance was back then. Exeter’s were as pathetic as they are now.

Jul 12, 2004
Herts_Green":1wlpeayx said:
Surprising how big Torquay’s average attendance was back then. Exeter’s were as pathetic as they are now.

Was this when Torquay played on Saturday evening and got extra supporters because of that.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Yes, about 7 in that 3rd tier no longer in the league. Torquay's gates were very high then for such a small town, averaging 8,000 plus in 68/69 compared to our 10,000 when we finished 5th and 6th in the same division. They had their best team ever then though with Jim Fryatt and Robin Stubbs up front and a very good centre half whose name escapes me. It was especially pleasing to see us beat them 6 nil on Boxing day in front of 20,000 plus, 4 from Bickle and 2 from Piper if my memory serves me right?
Attendances at that time were on a bit of a crest following our World Cup win but all the aggro in the 70s put paid to that and we then saw a decline. The 4th division crowds were much better compared to now.

Jul 14, 2008
It will be good to see Barrow back in the league next season if they can hold their nerve over the remaining games. They have a reasonable amount of league history unlike many of the teams that have been promoted in recent years. They were actually voted out of the league in 1972 and replaced by Hereford. Apparently the principle reasons for losing the vote were the remoteness of Barrow and also the fact that Hereford secured that famous FA Cup win over Newcastle.

Hopefully we will be in the league above next season though - away games to Barrow and Carlisle is a bit much!

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Herts_Green":26xxi95s said:

Exeter City now compete with Exeter Chiefs rugby team for attendance figures, at a level 4 stages below.

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
jerryatricjanner":2zl2fmip said:
The 4th division crowds were much better compared to now.

Well yes, perhaps a little better on average, but not at the extremes.

Bradford averaging over 14,000 this season, Argyle over 10,000.

Average this season is about 4,700. In 1969/70 it was about 5,100.

No one was quite as low as Stevenage's sub 2,000 back then, but many pretty close.

Workington decorated the bottom of L4 for many years - replaced by Wimbledon in the 1970's.

Jan 7, 2007
Plymouth
jerryatricjanner":27jm2f2j said:
Yes, about 7 in that 3rd tier no longer in the league. Torquay's gates were very high then for such a small town, averaging 8,000 plus in 68/69 compared to our 10,000 when we finished 5th and 6th in the same division. They had their best team ever then though with Jim Fryatt and Robin Stubbs up front and a very good centre half whose name escapes me. It was especially pleasing to see us beat them 6 nil on Boxing day in front of 20,000 plus, 4 from Bickle and 2 from Piper if my memory serves me right?
Attendances at that time were on a bit of a crest following our World Cup win but all the aggro in the 70s put paid to that and we then saw a decline. The 4th division crowds were much better compared to now.

That cb was Jimmy Dunne I think. This was about the time I started going. Torquay were our main local rivals back then as I remember

Rush Goalie":eihtzug0 said:
Swindon and Coventry the standouts for me there.

Me too. I remember the Coventry climb under Jimmy Hill from lower divisions, created huge interest at the time. Can’t remember the reason for the huge Swindon support though. Was that the year they had an amazing cup run? Don Rogers seems to ring a bell

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
AdelaideGreen":3ophlw0k said:
jerryatricjanner":3ophlw0k said:
The 4th division crowds were much better compared to now.

Well yes, perhaps a little better on average, but not at the extremes.

Bradford averaging over 14,000 this season, Argyle over 10,000.

Average this season is about 4,700. In 1969/70 it was about 5,100.

No one was quite as low as Stevenage's sub 2,000 back then, but many pretty close.

Workington decorated the bottom of L4 for many years - replaced by Wimbledon in the 1970's.
The gap was actually larger AdelaideGreen. Bradford get nothing like 14,000 at home games and Argyle just over 9,000 in reality with attendees not recorded these days, but tickets sold including non attendees. The 4th tier average now is ptobably a further 10% less comparing like for like.
Mike Charlick- yes Jimmy Dunne was the centre back for Torquay, a fine player.