Mike Ingham Former BBC Chief Football Correspondent | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Mike Ingham Former BBC Chief Football Correspondent

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
I am indebted to Chris Errington's 'Inside Home Park' blog to learn that Mike Ingham the former BBC Chief Football Correspondent now lives in Cornwall, since his retirement, and is an Argyle season ticket holder, having been a supporter of the club since a young age, when his family moved to Plymouth for his father’s work.

He has an autobiography coming out soon about his long and distinguished broadcasting career called ‘After Extra Time and Penalties’. It also tells the story of him growing up in Plymouth and how his love of football came through Argyle.

For those, like me of a certain vintage, Mike Ingham was the peerless voice of football on the radio (originally Radio 2 and then 5-Live) for nearly 25 years. It's great to know that he is an Argyle fan

I think this article (in the link below) sums up his contribution to the game and our lives perfectly.

https://www.football365.com/news/a-foot ... ike-ingham

Feb 2, 2005
Cornwall
I never would have guessed. I'm genuinely speechless. He was very much the voice of my fledgling love affair with 5Live.

John Squire

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 28, 2008
Now retired to Uffculme near Willand!
TinTin":lnekuuya said:
Mike Ingham has a very distinctive voice belonging to Radio 2/Radio 5 Live.

I remember him so well from the old days.

Thanks Graham for bringing it to my attention.

Keep the Faith :scarf:

Brother Paul, funnily I'm just reading an article in Today's Times about Mike Inghams book!
The well known football commentator Alan Green, is apparently being "phased out" from commentating by the BBC. The article by the well respected Times writer, Henry Winter, mentions the new book by Ingham, and relates to Green being hurt that he has not been named in it! Ingham and Green shared commentaries for many years together.
An interesting article! :scarf:

Jun 27, 2019
Mike Ingham is a broadcasting legend. I'm staggered we've only just found out he's an Argyle fan.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
John Squire":1n2fhrnp said:
TinTin":1n2fhrnp said:

Brother Paul, funnily I'm just reading an article in Today's Times about Mike Inghams book!
The well known football commentator Alan Green, is apparently being "phased out" from commentating by the BBC. The article by the well respected Times writer, Henry Winter, mentions the new book by Ingham, and relates to Green being hurt that he has not been named in it! Ingham and Green shared commentaries for many years together.
Excellent news about Green.

As for not getting getting a mention in the book, maybe Mike's view of Green is similar to mine. :)

Tony Pastyman

♣️ Senior Greens
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 1, 2008
Graham Clark":mlpw51ts said:
I am indebted to Chris Errington's 'Inside Home Park' blog to learn that Mike Ingham the former BBC Chief Football Correspondent now lives in Cornwall, since his retirement, and is an Argyle season ticket holder, having been a supporter of the club since a young age, when his family moved to Plymouth for his father’s work.

He has an autobiography coming out soon about his long and distinguished broadcasting career called ‘After Extra Time and Penalties’. It also tells the story of him growing up in Plymouth and how his love of football came through Argyle.

For those, like me of a certain vintage, Mike Ingham was the peerless voice of football on the radio (originally Radio 2 and then 5-Live) for nearly 25 years. It's great to know that he is an Argyle fan

I think this article (in the link below) sums up his contribution to the game and our lives perfectly.

Any chance of inviting Mike to Argyle maybe the Green Taverners for an evening promoting his book and with an entrance fee raise money for the Green Taverners. I am sure it would be very well supported.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
John Squire":26pbogh7 said:
TinTin":26pbogh7 said:

I read the same article. I felt that it was not so much the absence of a mention of Alan Green in the book, but they are no longer in communication and that it quite a sensitive issue for Green. Given the many years they worked in tandem on commentary, I feel it a little unfortunate.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Tony Pastyman":1lj76gsd said:
Graham Clark":1lj76gsd said:

Any chance of inviting Mike to Argyle maybe the Green Taverners for an evening promoting his book and with an entrance fee raise money for the Green Taverners. I am sure it would be very well supported.
I am sure that Senior Greens would be delighted to welcome him as a guest.

PutneyPete

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
♣️ PASALB Member
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
Jun 23, 2005
London (Putney)
Graham Clark":2n2gldr6 said:

2005 Champions League Final Liverpool vs AC Milan

Edited Radio commentary (45 minutes ) with Mike Ingham
Alan Green and Mark Lawrenson

(Alan Green thought it was all over at 0 - 2 to Milan - you can fast forward through Green's contribution)

Especially listen to Mike Ingham's classic commentary on the penalty shoot out at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Ec8D-4PtE

Jan 11, 2017
I remember him commenting on the radio when they went around the grounds prior to 3 pm on a Saturday about" how Argyle could get a big crowd down there" when commenting about a match about to get underway at Home Park. He repeated that more than once over the years, and I suspected he had some history of watching Argyle in more than a neutral capacity in the past. Superb commentator.

ChepstowGreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
♣️ SWAG Member
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 1, 2006
The finest radio commentator in my lifetime and still sorely missed from the airwaves.