Wasted journeys | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Wasted journeys

Jul 12, 2004
I got to Charnock Richard service station on Friday before finding out that the match was off. So wasted journey/ Not as bad as some. I carried on and stayed overnight saw a performance of Oliver from an inclusive dramatic group which could not fail to lift some of the gloom around. I also visited the excellent Old Pier Bookshop , Festival Market and a multitude of charity shops so if I have to self isolate I have enough books for a long time. I also picked up around 400 old singles for 20p a unit for my daughter who makes bags from them so not a wasted journey.

There have been others though Darlington away March 2002 I think when it started snowing 50 miles from the venue and I turned straight back. A match at home to Preston around Christmas time when having drived the 190 miles from home I found it was called off. The most frustrating one was the second attempt to play the Barnsley match that had been abandoned. I had not checked any news and drove down in sunshine only to discover it had been postponed the day before.

I am sure that there are worse stories than this.

Jan 6, 2007
For me it was Notts County on a Boxing Day mid 90s, went on a coach from Cornwall, cant remember if it was a frozen pitch or waterlogged but probably the first. We arrived outside Meadow Lane just as the game was called off, a steward jumped on the coach and said sorry lads but it's off. Decision to be made, find another game or go straight home, luckily Coventry were at home to Middlesboro, it was when they had Ravanelli and Juninho, a call was made to Highfield Road and there were tickets available if we wanted them, fairly reasonable price as well. Ideal I thought, I'd never been to Cov and a chance to watch Juninho live. This is where the fun starts, a couple of lads said they dont want to go there and that Kidderminster were home to Bath in the Conference. After a quick discussion it went to a vote, I thought there is no way the majority will turn down the chance to go to Cov, by no more than 1 or 2 votes we went to Kiddy lol. We got there 10 minutes after kick off, Kiddy already 1 up ended up getting 5, led by a young Lee Hughes, and Julian Dicks fat brother was playing for Bath.
I don't go away on coaches anymore lol

Dreamgreen

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
In December 1976, between Christmas and New Year, I went to Hereford to watch Argyle.

It started snowing (lightly) as I reached Gloucestershire, but by the time I got to Ledbury it was snowing somewhat more heavily. Bearing in mind this was pre google and mobile phones, the only hope was to hear something on the radio. As there was no mention I ploughed on through the snow and slush.

On reaching Hereford I went into a Wimpy restaurant (kids may have to google this) and saw someone reading a newspaper. The back page said "United game off". In a panic I was searching my brain, was it Hereford City, Hereford Albion, Hereford Villa, Hereford Rovers ā€¦ sh*t it is indeed Hereford United. Boll***s.

Long drive home and the snow was falling heavier and was now falling right down to the Mendips.

(I've obviously had many wasted journeys when we did play ā€¦ obviously :greensmile: )

Jan 29, 2010
Got as far as Washington Services on the A1(m) about 10 miles from Newcastle back in the 80ā€™s only for news to come over the radio that the game have fallen to the weather. Too late to do anything about it.

Got up for the rearranged game on a Tuesday, things started well with Kevin Hodges scoring early but turned into a bad night with Nicky Marker having to play a large part of the game in goal, eventually lost 3-1

Can you blame me for not wanting to venture there again!!

Aug 5, 2015
Sounds like the one I went to except I went by train with PASALB. It rained all morning and just as the train was going over one of the 9 bridges across the Tyne, according to Keith Emerson, it came over the radio the game was cancelled. Donā€™t remember what we did until it was time for the train back but it must have involved alcohol since I donā€™t remember a thing about it

German Shepherd

šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
Kentishgreen":202z49v0 said:
Sounds like the one I went to except I went by train with PASALB. It rained all morning and just as the train was going over one of the 9 bridges across the Tyne, according to Keith Emerson, it came over the radio the game was cancelled. Donā€™t remember what we did until it was time for the train back but it must have involved alcohol since I donā€™t remember a thing about it

I was with PASALB that day too & don't remember anything either !

Surely the best wasted journey was made by a Brentford fan to Argyle years ago. He rang in the good old 606 show hosted by Danny Baker to say he drove to Home Park from London to find literally, just one man & his dog walking past Home Park. Asking the bloke why there was no one else there he was told it was because Argyle were away at Brentford :greensmile:

German Shepherd

šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
mongoose_jnr":1gjc615b said:
Got as far as Washington Services on the A1(m) about 10 miles from Newcastle back in the 80ā€™s only for news to come over the radio that the game have fallen to the weather. Too late to do anything about it.

Got up for the rearranged game on a Tuesday, things started well with Kevin Hodges scoring early but turned into a bad night with Nicky Marker having to play a large part of the game in goal, eventually lost 3-1

I thought we drew that 2-2. Argyle went two up with Marker in goal & nearly pulled it off.

Done three of those mentioned:
Newcastle, yes we heard it on the radio as the train was crossing the Tyne.
Darlo - I went to the ground, got a programme, there was only the lightest of covering of sleet on the pitch at that point. Got to the meeting pub, was amazed when John Lloyd said the game was off.
Notts County was really annoying. It was cold, so there was a pitch inspection. Waited till I heard on Radio 5 that it had passed before setting off (from Swindon). Couldn't believe it on arriving at Nottingham station to hear from John Chuku the match referee had binned it.

Some others:
Derby County in the 90s - got to the Baseball Ground to be greeting by the police, where you going sonny? Match was off because of fog. It had been bright blue sunshine in Sheffield.
And to even things up, four matches at Home Park - two of which I was in the Brit when news came through, one I was on the A38 when I heard (Christmas 2005), and the one this season where the train had just left Ivybridge.
And yesterday. While everyone was panic buying bogroll last week, I was panic buying Argyle away tickets, so I now have some potentially useless Morecambe and Orient tickets. Yesterday I decided to see Guildford City instead. Got there at 1430, five minutes after it had been called off, another inspired match referee decision from the sound of it. At least it was a fairly short walk home, compared to the hundreds of miles in all the previous disappointments!

McQ

May 10, 2005
Plymouth
I did that Derby game in the 90s
I was at uni in Stoke and my 2 cousins came up.
We drove across to Derby on the Saturday and the fog got thicker and thicker. We parked but you couldn't see the ground. We waited outside and saw some Derby players arrive, remember Shilton signing autographs(maybe Mark Wright as well)
Then word got round about the postponement.
back in the car to Stoke at which point I think my cousins went home.

German Shepherd":21j0y1oh said:
mongoose_jnr":21j0y1oh said:

I thought we drew that 2-2. Argyle went two up with Marker in goal & nearly pulled it off.

I asked Nicky Marker about that game a few years ago. He reminded me that he kept a clean sheet! He also reminded me that he didnā€™t get booked for that infamous tackle on Ardilles. Generally regarded as one of the most intimidating CB in the game at that time, and he gave me some really interesting insights into how he acquired that reputation.

Sep 3, 2009
mervyn":ulffnviv said:
German Shepherd":ulffnviv said:
mongoose_jnr":ulffnviv said:

I asked Nicky Marker about that game a few years ago. He reminded me that he kept a clean sheet! He also reminded me that he didnā€™t get booked for that infamous tackle on Ardilles. Generally regarded as one of the most intimidating CB in the game at that time, and he gave me some really interesting insights into how he acquired that reputation.

Hmmm, whilst I loved Marker as a player for us, he would struggle these days.

He essentially ended Ben Thornley's career with what was, by all accounts, a horrific challenge in a reserve game for Blackburn v Man U.

I did the first Rochdale postponement and that Darlington postponement in the 2001/02 season, albeit only travelling from Oxford. Given I'd bought cheap train tickets each time, it was a case of staying in the pub drinking until 5pm. Thought the Scunthorpe match that season would also be off, given it snowed, but I was wrong. Got told off for throwing snowballs and building a snowman at half time

I used to take half days in that job at Oxford for evening games, take a coach to Heathrow, then the National Express down to Plymouth. I'd watch the match, then take the night bus back, so getting back to Oxford in time for a shower and straight to work. Mostly worked fine apart from one game against Leicester where it rained so torrentially that the match was abandoned at half time.

M