'Marmite' Argyle Players | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

'Marmite' Argyle Players

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
I am sure many others feel as though a limb has been removed by not being able to get their daily fix of normal PASOTI matters. Desperate times call for desperate measures and I thought the post about 'favourite players when we were sixteen' was a novel and ingenious way of ‘keeping the ball in the air’ for a while.

With that in mind I was thinking about garnishing views on a subject that has fascinated me since I first started following Argyle in the 60s. At the time I thought that it only applied to Argyle but my awareness of, and familiarity with, fans of other clubs over the years has led me to conclude it is universal. I am referring to the ‘Marmite’ or scapegoat player. This is the one (or two!) in a team that gets unbelievable ‘stick’ from a significant section of the crowd but seems to be supported and encouraged by others. The 'Marmite’ players - you either love ‘em or loath ‘em.

I must make it abundantly clear that I am not looking to the negative here - there have, for some, been quite enough ‘worst player’, ‘worst team’ etc etc polls. This is not what I am suggesting. We all have our views on the usual suspects over the years who seemed to be just picking up a payslip without any sign of appreciating the privilege that it is to play for our Club. These are not the players I am referring to.

No, the type of player in the ‘Marmite’ category can be described as totally committed when playing for Argyle, a loyal, wholehearted trier but who, for some, can never do anything right. Whether it is a perceived lack of experience, technique, talent or end product, this player will produce an audible groan every time he gets the ball and a total barracking should a pass go astray, a tackle missed or a shot wide of the target. Being a sucker for the underdog I tend to ‘champion’ these players, taking the view that they are clearly giving 100% even if things aren’t coming off for them. I fully accept, however, that other views are available and other criteria, apart from 'doing your best’, come into play when people rate their Argyle players.

I have a whole list of my own relating to these players, ever since the 60s, but may I start the ball rolling by suggesting Conor Hourihane?

Jul 14, 2008
Stevie Crawford. I was on the side of those who said he was just on a different wave length to the other players (in a positive way).

Jun 24, 2008
Martin_Brock":1ucw44o6 said:
Rory Fallon. I was a big fan but he was consistently inconsistent!

M

Rory Fallon is a good one.

Can I suggest Alan Gow?

....I know.. :oops: ...but i thought he was actually a technically gifted player if anything.

Feb 21, 2012
Plymouth
Connor Hourihane was in my mind as soon as i started to read the op,however,i thought he,like a lot choices on here had good quality as well as negative attributes,my opinion,

May 7, 2019
How about Steve Adams? An absolutely committed and incredibly important element of the Sturrock 102 points championship season who got all kinds of stick from the fans as he wasn't the most technically gifted player. He did a great job though in Sturrock's 4-5-1 away formation.