Favourite footballing year | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Favourite footballing year

Jan 26, 2006
Plymouth
Since we are all missing football and sport in general I was thinking about my favourite football time. Have a go yourself and you could even include favourite sporting year as a whole.

My favourite football year would be 1996. I was 10 turning 11. I remember going to Wembley and that remains my fondest early football memory. Being that young and amongst 35,000 argyle fans was incredible. 1996 was also memorable because I remember being caught up in the hype around Euro 96. Watching England get to a semi final on home soil was brilliant. Gaza’s goal against Scotland and the win against Holland! But also other teams and players were exciting and it was such a tight tournament, both semis went to penalties that’s how close we were. What a time to be alive.

I also appreciate we have had more rough years than good.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
There's been a few highs but my favourite Argyle season has to be 2003/04. Having had a promotion in 01/02 and to be looking at another just 2 years later was brilliant. And it was all capped with THAT win against QPR.

On the International scene, being a Welshman, it has to be the 2016 Euros. Fan zones all over Wales for the best home nation of the tournament. ;) Had to make the most of it as it sure won't happen again for a while.

Jan 29, 2011
Theres been a few favourites but 1984 stands out for me - getting to the semi finals in the FA cup against Watford
Such a buzz around Plymouth, and Home Park was jumping :scarf:

Bovey Green lady

🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
Mine has to be the 1974/75 promotion season. I moved away from Plymouth to Bournemouth in the January, but still managed to attend all the remaining home games, a whole load of away games, and the promotion party! What a night that was!

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
earl grey":13hzes9f said:
Not this one

Can I opt for 2020/21?? :sad:

Otherwise 64/65 purely because I was allowed to go on my own or I was allowed to go as nobody else was interested, my Dad worked all the time, my brother played all the time.

My friends preferred girls to Argyle , can you imagine that?? :facepalm:

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Up until the suspension, this season. Finally feel as if we have a real direction as a club.

Graham Green

✨Pasoti Donor✨
May 26, 2010
Swindon
1983/84 was good. It was a shame for Johnny Hore couldn't sustain things in the league but then along came Dave Smith the following season.
After bedding in he galvanised us in 85/86 which has to be my year. The first home game losing 1-0 to Reading and missing a penalty didn't promise much but it developed into a season of ups and downs.
The gut wrenching defeat at Reading chucking such a lead away. Those two results cost us the champions spot as Reading ended top.
We marched on from there with some great results and back came King Tommy, wobbled badly at Wigan but got over the line that night against Bristol City (20,000 my a*%e! :lol: )
Mind you 74/75 was pretty special too!

Aug 10, 2006
has to be 85/86 season for me what a great team that was some fantastic memories and a wonderful manager in dave smith.

Aug 10, 2006
loyal1970":35uudmob said:
has to be 85/86 season for me what a great team that was some fantastic memories and a wonderful manager in dave smith.
and the first game of the 86/87 season away at Bradford was a great day ;)

Dazzy3000

✅ Evergreen
Dec 3, 2008
Mine had to be when we won the Southern League title in 1912/1913. I was only young but remember it so well

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
dazzy3000":3eybetgh said:
Mine had to be when we won the Southern League title in 1912/1913. I was only young but remember it so well

Do you remember the last home game? Big crowd and you couldn't see and I lifted you up onto my shoulders? Great days!! ;)

Mar 16, 2006
Manchester
96 for me too. Was the first season I started going with my mates and not my Dad. Loved going with my old man but the joy of standing and chanting in the zoo corner watching us beat Colchester instead of in the sedate surroundings of the grandstand was unreal. And then there was the Wembley win followed by England’s run at the Euros. Absolutely brilliant. Loved ‘03-‘04 too as I’d moved to Manchester and could get to away games that I’d never been too, which obviously culminated in the league title. Port Vale and Wednesday were highlights but I’ve also fond memories of seeing us beat Stockport in the driving January rain and staying with a mate in Wrexham for the match there, even though it was a poor 2-2. All that was topped off by meeting my now wife and the superb Euro 2004 when Rooney broke onto the scene. God I miss football.