Anoraks 42 - Team mates | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Anoraks 42 - Team mates

Jan 11, 2016
While researching Johnny Williams for Anoraks 41 I noticed that he had played with 98 team mates which made me wonder if this was a large number for someone with a longish career at one club or nothing exceptional. I also had a look at Sammy Black for a similar pre-war career and noticed that he and Jack Leslie had played 327 games together. So here are the questions which I am looking to the Pasoti/Greens on Screen community to answer. It's over to you all on this one!

Just looking at Argyle since 1950 which player played or has played with the greatest number of team mates and which two players have played the most matches together?

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Logically it would be Kevin Hodges as he played a good many more games than others in that time span but perhaps that is too obvious?
Teamates playing together most often possibly a couple from Hodges, Chris Harrison, Crudgie, Leigh Cooper and John Uzzel?
I'll plump for Crudgie and Chris Harrison.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
jerryatricjanner":1j7divtv said:
Logically it would be Kevin Hodges as he played a good many more games than others in that time span but perhaps that is too obvious?
Teamates playing together most often possibly a couple from Hodges, Chris Harrison, Crudgie, Leigh Cooper and John Uzzel?
I'll plump for Crudgie and Chris Harrison.
I am not going to enter because Steve Dean conducted this very exercise for me some years ago. I asked for the twos , threes and fives who had played together the most. I was convinced it would be Johnny Williams and someone for the twos, sure it was Williams, Fincham, Newman for the threes and absolutely convinced it was Robertson, Fulton, Williams, Fincham and Newman for the five. Wrong on all counts!

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
memory man":18jv6383 said:
I am not going to enter ...
I guess that applies to me too. ;)

Just to mention that a teammate on GoS is someone who they've played with in a first team competition on at least one occasion, and that includes anyone who comes on as a substitute. Is that how it is for this SG?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I would guess at Gary Sawyer for the most amount of team mates, especially given his two long spells at the club and the revolving door.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
PL2 3DQ":mqkee0rj said:
I would guess at Gary Sawyer for the most amount of team mates, especially given his two long spells at the club and the revolving door.
I think it means the two who have played together most often, e.g Black and Leslie (but they are not the answer)

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
memory man":hioywwbo said:
PL2 3DQ":hioywwbo said:
I think it means the two who have played together most often, e.g Black and Leslie (but they are not the answer)

This was the first part of the question ...
"Just looking at Argyle since 1950 which player played or has played with the greatest number of team mates?"

Jan 11, 2016
This is a Greens on Screen question if ever there was one so GoS definitions apply! Thanks to both Steves for keeping their distance for a while - although I think we're going to need a definitive answer from you to end the debate - for now let's keep it open if we can for a couple of days.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Sainghin Green":123obuyw said:
I know I ought to know but when was Pilgrim Pete's first match?

I know that it was under Macauley.
He discovered him when he was playing in a local International game: Looe Island vs Drakes Island.
Whirled Cup qualifier.

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
Sainghin Green":owwovbq7 said:
Thanks to both Steves for keeping their distance for a while ...
Must admit it's hard not to post! Just to say that whilst the two questions were for 1950 onwards, the answers are the same for all of PAFC's 117 years. I'll post with the top ten for each as soon as SG lets me off the lead!

And Postey, your suggestion for the greatest number of teammates for an individual comes in at equal-third. :)