The game you wish you had been to.... | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

The game you wish you had been to....

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
Like all with time on their hands and bandwidth on their computer I am finding new ways to explore the Argyle content on the inter web....

So enjoying the threads that make you trawl through history and got me thinking ...which games do you wish you had been to....

I came up with three....

73/4 QPR away in the League Cup...the 3-0 away win that not even the greenest tint could have predicted ( does anyone have a link to the grainy footage I am sure I watched online many moons ago but now cannot locate?)

73/4 Birmingham City away also League Cup....because I was too much of a swot to skive off school and go....so will never see that Davey goal...mainly because the Westward TV camera man didn't see it either....

2012 MK Dons away as Argyle stage their own mini goal of the season won (narrowly) by Kari Arnesons literal Goal of the Season.....or maybe Port Vale away around 2001/2 when Friio score a brace and we won 5-1

But there must be others......

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Liking this! :thumbs:

In 73/74 I was lucky enough to be at Loftus Road in the middle of the energy crisis to witness what I still consider to be the best performance and result in all my years of following Argyle. They absolutely wiped the floor with a team full of stars, riding high in the top tier (QPR eventually finished 8th as well as getting to the FA Cup quarter finals). Not rubbing it in, but you certainly missed a night to remember! :scarf:

On the other hand, I will always regret not making the Bristol City promotion match (4-0) in 1986. I was living near Watford at the time and remember having to listen to radio coverage of some other match with the occasional score update from Home Park. An incredible relief to have confirmed promotion but a real disappointment that I couldn't be there to see it. :sad:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I went to all three of them. At both QPR and particularly Brum I though all us Argyle fans were going to be killed. Christ we really upset those clubs with those results.

I missed (due to heavy work commitments) the promotion and championship games at Rochdale and Darlington. Really was sorry I missed them both.

Certainly the game I felt most 'honoured' to be at was the QPR humbling. They were at the very top of their game, played most of their top names including Bowles, Francis, Givens etc and we played them off the park from minute one to the whistle.

Feb 21, 2012
Plymouth
The game i wished that i had seen was the 5-1 loss to the mighty Tottenham Hotspur in the FA cup,(Yes, i know Argyle lost) But spurs were a favourite of mine also,but i was 15yrs old and had to do my paper round on my birthday! my dad would not take me ,and insisted that i do my paper duties,Sigh.

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
The QPR home title decider. Had a ticket and was looking forward to it for weeks then the night before something came up and I couldn't go.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Away QPR 0-3 was the best Argyle performance that I've ever seen. We were superb (no idea why!! :lol: )

Me and brother were in the pub before the game, great craic. As we left someone shouted out 5-0!! I stuck me head back in and said, 'Oh I don't know, you might get one!'. Oh how we laughed!! See you after the game lads, said the landlord.

So we go (in the QPR end as it happens!!). Doing OK but, as we left the ground, brother said he wanted a wee :shock: , in the QPR loos with about 50 x 15 year old yobbos trailing us!! So he turns round; does an incredible hulk stance and GRRRRRRs at them!! Seemed to work!!

So back we go to the pub. Sorry lads says landlord, I can't serve you!!

Bad losers!! :lol:

May 8, 2011
2001/2 season, Rochdale away and Darlington away, the only 2 games I missed all season. I had just changed jobs and couldn’t get time off work for mid week games.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
1st May 78. Argyle 6 Bradford 0.
Last game of the season where Argyle had looked doomed to relegation to Div 4. Mike Kelly sacked and replaced by the late great Malcolm Allison. I can’t remember if Argyle needed to win this game to stay up, but I missed it as on duty at Portland naval base.

May 11, 2019
Great thread reminded me of so many great games I’ve seen. The two I regret missing are Blackburn home 1975 promotion season and the 3-1 win at Hillsborough in the Sturrock promotion season, happy days. Keep safe all!

meetoo

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jul 29, 2010
Germany 1:5 England

Germany were so poor even Heskey scored :clap: :clap:

Sep 6, 2006
Devongreenowl":1kyd90gq said:
1st May 78. Argyle 6 Bradford 0.
Last game of the season where Argyle had looked doomed to relegation to Div 4. Mike Kelly sacked and replaced by the late great Malcolm Allison. I can’t remember if Argyle needed to win this game to stay up, but I missed it as on duty at Portland naval base.

Remember that game. We were already safe.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Was it the one that was replayed after the hypothermia game which they were winning 1-0 at half time before the game was called off?