✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Thoughts are with his family and friends.

RIP Dan.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
So sad. He divided opinion but he did put money into the club. RIP.
His wife Ann is a lovely lady.
I was lucky enough to speak to him 10 years ago ....

Q: What would be your greatest achievement from your time at Argyle?
DM: My greatest achievement was raising sufficient funds to build the three sides of Home Park.

Q: If you could change anything about your time at Home Park, what would you pick?
DM: To slow down the money output to control the pressures of managers trying to buy success.

Q: What was your most memorable Argyle match?
DM: The Wembley visit to get promotion from Division Three by beating Darlington.

Q: When was the last time you visited Home Park?
DM: Unfortunately, although the Board treated me admirably on my departure by allocating my wife and I match tickets and seats in the Directors Box it obviously was not quite the same and after 3-4 months I gave back the benefits.

Q: Who was the best and worst manager during your time at Argyle?
DM: I only comment on the high-profile managers i.e. those with money needs. Peter Shilton had too many personal problems which did not allow him to focus adequately on the team, whereas Neil Warnock was politically motivated and his aim, in my opinion, was to play the newspapers and council against me.

I fought my corner to keep the stadium under the clubs control and not succumb to a Council owned ground which would have brought limitations as to when we had access to the ground.
The best manager by far was Paul Sturrock.

Q: In hindsight, do you think Argyle would have avoided relegation from Division One if David Kemp had remained as manager?
DM: You have to remember, when I joined the club I had only 50% ownership and obviously I had to listen to my co-directors wishes and persevered with David Kemp as long as possible but in the end succumbed to a Board decision. 
I had an enormous amount of respect for David Kemp and whether he could have saved us is difficult to say.

Q: Have you ever been approached to return to the Argyle boardroom?
DM: No.

Q: Would you have bought the freehold of Home Park if the chance had been offered when you were in charge?
DM: Definitely. In fact, I offered the Council more than the Board, although I was not involved with the club at that time.

Q: How much would you value the club at now?
DM: I look at Preston North End to judge the value of the club, bearing in mind Preston is a real footballing hot-bed with a tremendous record in the past. 
On the stock market today’s value of Preston is £3.3 million which includes a fully developed ground.

Q: What do you think of the way the club has been run in the last few years?
DM: The Club was running well during and after my departure as I left at the end of January 2001 when they were doing well.

Q: Do you think the club has a chance of making it to the Premiership in the next few years?
DM: Unlikely, but who knows, it will need a great deal of money from the Board of Directors.

Q: You have business interests all around the world now; does that take up most of your time these days?
DM: Over the last year things have been hectic with overseas visits and I am trying to grow my companies to penetrate greater market share.

Q: Finally, thank you for taking part in this interview; do you have a message for all the Argyle fans?
DM: Football clubs need supporters in greater numbers and the only way forward is for fans to back the club week-in week-out so that the Board can guarantee an income and ensure the budget can be relied on.

We can all see in football clubs where the managers have pressed for money that they do not always succeed and then leave the club in a mess, all due to the Chairman also wanting success and therefore giving in to the constant high demands. Southampton and Portsmouth have one common denominator but I am not mentioning who!

C

Charles Plym

Presided over a turbulent but never boring period , probably not thought of as highly as he should be . R.I.P Dan

Sep 3, 2009
Divided opinion and could say deliberately inflammatory things but did more to improve Argyle’s infrastructure than anyone in modern times before our current chairman - so thanks for that, Dan.

Jul 24, 2009
Thanks for posting that PL2. He didn’t always get everything right but to his credit he put a significant amount of his own money in and bequeathed his successor Paul Sturrock & the horseshoe redevelopment.

And what a day Wembley ‘96 was.

RIP Dan

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Never a dull moment but he invested huge amounts into the team, and he did fund that wonderful Shilton team.

RIP Dan and best wishes to his family.

Mark Smith

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Luxembourg and Horsham
RIP.

Anyone who puts large amounts of their own money into the club deserves some respect.

He also appointed Paul Sturrock so was indirectly to thank for our years in the Championship.

Let’s leave the rest to the history books for now.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Condolences to his family.

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
Dan was a quite remarkable man capable of the most absurd perversity and unbridled generosity almost within the same minute.

He was fully responsible for initially underwriting the near £4m contract cost of the ‘horseshoe’ with Barr before the Football Foundation money arrived. Without him, it simply would not have happened.

It is difficult to believe his tenure lasted as long as it did.. One thing is for sure, it was never dull with him at the helm. So many stories.

RIP Dan and thank you for the good times.