So, what’s your favourite other club | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

So, what’s your favourite other club

In the seventies I lived in Chelmsford, and my local footballing choices were West Ham, Ipswich, Colchester and Southend, which I routinely visited alternate Saturdays without becoming a fan of any of them.

However I looked forward to Ipswich the most. Bobby Robson built one of the most exciting teams I have ever witnessed, the final chess piece being the acquisition of Paul Mariner. My tractor boy friends simply couldn’t believe the quality of the player they got for such a paltry sum, plus two fringe players, Pedalty and Austin. Can anyone tell me why we did such a poor deal, or did it simply not seem that bad at the time?

I still go to Portman Road when visiting local friends, and it’s been sad to watch their slow decline.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Ha from experience it’s brave to admit to an allegiance to another club Mervyn :whistle:
Anyway, Christ knows what Argyle we’re thinking at the time. It seemed like a bad deal At the time and it was confirmed as soon as we saw the calibre of player we got in exchange. Austin was a pedestrian striker and Peddelty was always injured.

Most of us knew that Mariner had to leave - he was simply too good for that level as was proved as he played for England the same season he joined Ipswich. What was totally inexcusable was the board completely and utterly allowing Ipswich not only to pull their trousers down, but their underpants too. Also letting Mariner AND Rafferty leave within weeks of each other was simply unbelievable.

A mate and I went up to Portman Road to see them play Liverpool just after Mariner joined them. You can guess who scored the winner. Mariner remains the best player Argyle ever had in my opinion and also has to be the worst deal Argyle ever struck when selling a top player.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth Parkway.

Jan 16, 2016
Southampton
ADO Den Haag. Visited the ground once and like that they play in green and are nicknamed the Storks. Also appeals that they're so phenomenally unsuccessful when compared to the main representatives of the other two large Dutch cities. To be honest I don't follow at all and was pretty surprised to discover that their current manager is... Alan Pardew.

Oct 31, 2015
Uh None!!!! I only follow one team.

I suppose I do have a soft spot for Pompey as I was based up there quite a bit and my son was born in Pompey. I have a few Pompey supporting mates which has proven fruity when we play them :thumbup:

Also used to go to Fratton on an evening if we weren't playing when I was living up there.

But other favourite. Nope

Jan 16, 2016
Southampton
edengreen":3sp5friv said:
Have no idea why but always Look out for Greenock Morton
I live in Southampton but used to know an octogenarian here who was a lifelong Morton fan and a shareholder. I remember his reaction when they beat Celtic in the cup a few years back.

German Shepherd

🚑 Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
There's only one Carshalton Athletic. Used to watch them when living there in-between Argyle matches. It was the only thing I missed from moving up North from London.
A couple of years ago I treated myself on my birthday & booked a flight from Manchester to watch them in the Isthmian 1st Division South away to Guernsey.
It was a cracking day out......they lost of course.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Haven't got a favourite other club.
My favourite second team to Argyle is Argyle Reserves!! :scarf:

Have watched a lot of 'other' football over the years.
Some entertaining and enjoyable but, the point is, if any other team scores, I don't leap out of my seat and jump about!! :scarf:

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I've had a soft spot for Fulham since I was young, I think mainly because of their stadium, for me Craven Cottage is one of the best stadiums in the English game, I've been 4 times (Man United, Stoke, Wigan & Everton) and I've always found it a great place to watch football, tons of character, particularly the old stand along the side of the pitch.

May 8, 2011
I go to watch Everton and Rangers when their matches fit in with Argyle’s fixtures and recently I’ve acquired a liking for Morecambe and been to a couple of their home games.