• Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Jack Leslie

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
A remarkable piece on the Argyle star in the Sunday Express today. Disgusting treatment of Jack by the football league once they had found out he was black, dropped to travelling reserve and then out of the squad altogether. We were the League's top scorers at the time with 31 goals from just 8 games.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Ponty":33x7a43n said:
A remarkable piece on the Argyle star in the Sunday Express today. Disgusting treatment of Jack by the football league once they had found out he was black, dropped to travelling reserve and then out of the squad altogether. We were the League's top scorers at the time with 31 goals from just 8 games.
The story was hidden for many years but over the past 10 to 15 years it has been extensively covered. More than ten years ago I brought it to the attention of the Barking (Jack's first club) historian and he simply didn't believe me. I had to direct him to the transcript of a Radio 5 programme I had been listening to when the topic came up. Trevor McDonald (before he was knighted) did a series about the injustices to black people in sport and this England selection story was one of the first he covered. For a place that has never had a huge coloured population, Plymouth was the subject of two stories like this. The other concerned an Albion rugby player who was selected for England but (I think) he was dropped when the South Africans refused to play against England if he was in the team. From memory that was well before the Leslie fiasco.

Jul 14, 2008
Ponty":1bv5p2j3 said:

Not sure the Express can be too judgemental about someone being judged the colour of their skin.

Jan 2, 2019
It was also in the Sunday People. I hope everyone liked it. I’ve got a photo of it on my phone. If anyone can tell me how to post it on here.

Jan 2, 2019
Herts_Green":ixulm2ll said:
Ponty":ixulm2ll said:

Not sure the Express can be too judgemental about someone being judged the colour of their skin.

It wasn’t a judgemental piece it was written to bring attention to a wider audience the injustice of what happened.

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
Herts_Green":2wbjuu2i said:
Ponty":2wbjuu2i said:

Care to explain your comment?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
memory man":19qrgidq said:
For a place that has never had a huge coloured population, Plymouth was the subject of two stories like this. The other concerned an Albion rugby player who was selected for England but (I think) he was dropped when the South Africans refused to play against England if he was in the team. From memory that was well before the Leslie fiasco.

Jimmy Peters :thumbup:

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
Biggs":14r8of9l said:
memory man":14r8of9l said:
For a place that has never had a huge coloured population, Plymouth was the subject of two stories like this. The other concerned an Albion rugby player who was selected for England but (I think) he was dropped when the South Africans refused to play against England if he was in the team. From memory that was well before the Leslie fiasco.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Peters_(rugby)

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
kernow19":ervgv3sc said:
Biggs":ervgv3sc said:
memory man":ervgv3sc said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Peters_(rugby)

The only black rugby player for England until 1988?? Wow!!

May 31, 2010
Plymouth
Jimmy Peters came to Albion from Bristol Rugby in about 1902. Between 1906 and 1908 he won five caps for England. I have cuttings from the Herald in July/August 2003 when his story was covered in some detail. Some of his family still live in Plymouth, or did in 2003.