Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
When I was little, around primary school age, I had some misconceptions about football.

You played for your local club, ie everyone who ply for Argyle came from Plymouth.

Now for my favourite one. I thought that the goalie and goalkeeper were different people. The goalie was the bloke who stopped the ball going in the net on a Saturday afternoon, the goalkeeper looked after that goals, keeping them painted white and putting out the nets. :)

Anyone else have anything embarrassing it share?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
When I was young I thought that the Scottish 1st Division was where the fourth division teams went to when they were relegated.

Purely from where they appeared in the newspapers. :oops:

Feb 4, 2011
cornwall
In my younger days when looking at a team sheet and seeing the name S O Else i used to think he plays for lots of clubs

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
When I was young I thought football was just a sport.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
I thought that popular 60s ref DW Smith came from our Stonehouse and not the one in Gloucestershire. I imagined him getting the 27 from Durnford Street to the game

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
memory man":3qlt2oub said:
I thought that popular 60s ref DW Smith came from our Stonehouse and not the one in Gloucestershire. I imagined him getting the 27 from Dunford Street to the game

On a tangent....

My first ever Palace match in 1968 was refereed by a Mr C H Nicholls who the programme claims to have been from Plymouth.

Aug 14, 2014
Yashin this is my first encounter with S O Else.
A N Other was frequently used in the 1960s, especially by Rugby Clubs, and I often wondered how a player could take part in more than one match on a Saturday afternoon.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
I was 11 in 1965 and knew very little about football until the '66 World Cup sparked my enthusiasm. In spite of my general ignorance I did know that my Dad followed a team called Plymouth Argyle, and I used to watch out for their result on Saturday afternoons on the TV Grandstand programme.

One Monday I went into school and proudly announced that Plymouth Argyle were 2nd in the league. This was hotly disputed by all the other boys but I held my ground. I told them that I had seen the results on TV and that 'Plymouth Argyle' was the second team that was read out.

What I didn't realise was that the results were always announced alphabetically, based on the home team. On that weekend Argyle had been playing away at Bolton Wanderers and their score was the second one mentioned when the Division 2 results came on. I did spend a long time living that one down - and as I went to school in Portsmouth it was even worse! :sad:

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Lundan Cabbie":3b7rjzvs said:
memory man":3b7rjzvs said:
I thought that popular 60s ref DW Smith came from our Stonehouse and not the one in Gloucestershire. I imagined him getting the 27 from Dunford Street to the game

On a tangent....

My first ever Palace match in 1968 was refereed by a Mr C H Nicholls who the programme claims to have been from Plymouth.

Charlie Nicholls was indeed one of the very few (possibly only?) League Referees to come from Plymouth.

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
Mark58":3d68ah4o said:
Lundan Cabbie":3d68ah4o said:
memory man":3d68ah4o said:

On a tangent....

Charlie Nicholls was indeed one of the very few (possibly only?) League Referees to come from Plymouth.

Whenever Argyle played a friendly at Home Park agains a high-profile team Mr Nicholls was always the ref.
Santos in 73 being one of them as I recall, when a couple of his decisions didn't endear him to Pele and co.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Mark58":56wqs7wb said:
Lundan Cabbie":56wqs7wb said:
memory man":56wqs7wb said:

On a tangent....

We also had a very successful Plymouth referee called EA (Alan) Crickmore. He refereed in all divisions of the Football League. For many years Cornish and Devon referees were held back because their expenses were deemed to be too high.

Forgive me for not being football related, but as a youngster hearing about various crimes on the radio, I noticed that they often finished with ‘a man is helping police with their enquiries’. For years I lmagined this one public spirited super sleuth (a sort of Paul Temple if you’re old enough) helping the police out on every occasion.

Jan 26, 2009
Tamerton Foliot
Not totally to the point, but:

I was 9 years old and had NEVER seen a football match either live or on TV. My friend at school Michael Biscombe said to me out of the blue one day 'Would you like to come to Argyle with me on Saturday?' Naively, but truthfully, I replied 'What's Argyle?' - I had never heard of them and didn't even know that we even had a football team. Anyway, I agreed, but not even having a clue what to expect. It was Saturday 19th April 1958 and Argyle were playing Walsall at home in the old Third Division South. I think there were around 23,000(?) there and we stood at the fence close to the Barn Park End goal. Argyle won 2-1 with, I think, good old Wilf Carter getting both goals for Argyle. I was hooked...............................

Remember, this was the 1950's - we had no tv and there was little media at all. Different times. I'm still a season ticket holder.

Aug 5, 2015
When my neighbour persuaded my dad to take the boys out to Home Park to see Stanley Matthews play as he had just returned to Stoke. I was expecting to see a footballing superhero. Instead I saw a very kindly old man play, bearing in mind I must have been about 9 and he was well into his 40’s so seemed old to me. He still tore up our defence for ass paper though.