✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Reading the "So, what’s your favourite other club" thread, a concept I find hard to fathom, I thought we could have a list of other teams we've watched in a match where Argyle wasn't involved.

Obviously Owl and Cabbie will have watched a lot of teams.

A short list from me to start:

England and Brazil (at Wembley in 197?)
Tivvy a few times (don't remember opposition - mostly pre-season)
Havant and Waterlooville Hawks vs Hemel Hempstead (Oct 2019)

Bernie Bernbaum

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 29, 2015
Went to quite a few Shrewsbury, Wolves and Villa home games when living in the West Midlands (1989-1991)
Was at the last ever Cup Winners Cup final at Villa Park, Lazio V Real Mallorca and saw a few Euro 96 games including the England Netherlands game. Was also at the Crowd Vs Fences game at Spike Island but I guess that doesn't count.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
I was a regular at Hillsborough back in my student days (82-86...before the disaster) - wouldn't say I was a fan but certainly developed a soft spot and would leap up when they scored. I remember a few battles with Chelsea in cup and league back then - their really obnoxious fans left me really disliking that club ever since. I also occasionally went to Brammall Lane too and it's funny how one thing that sticks in my mind was meeting a fellow Green there - I spotted him by the large Argyle badge sewn on his jeans (not something you see these days).

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
There were some really bad battles between Chelsea and Wednesday hooligan elements back then. But who can forget the infamous Chelsea hooligans incident at Argyle in 76 I think, when they completely took over the Devonport end with barely any resistance. I used to stand on the Devonport back then, but can’t think why but me and some navy mates stood on the Mayflower terrace that day.

I’ve never forgotten, about ten to three the Devonport Enders were singing Chelsea where are you (or maybe they were Chelsea fans already in place on that end). Almost immediately, the exit doors burst open and there were at least a couple of hundred Chelsea hooligans on the Devonport End. Loads of Argyle fans ended up on the pitch. We could see a mate of ours stood on the Devonport, looking around himself, but he failed to see a massive haymaker coming his way and ended up on the deck.

This was the Butch Wilkins era Chelsea and they pasted us on the pitch too that day enroute to promotion back to the top flight. The violence afterwards in Central Park was terrible too and I remember some pretty graphic photos in the Independent the following day. I’ve seen worse football violence, but I think that was the worst I ever saw at Home Park.

May 5, 2006
Hammarby in Sweden, they even wear green and white so didn't need a new scarf. A beautiful shade of green they have too. :scarf:

May 8, 2011
Since last May matches not involving Argyle that I’ve been to.
Motherwell v Livingston
Hibs v Aberdeen
Scotland v Cyprus
Inverness v Cove Rangers
Ross County v Forfar
Elgin City v Hibs
Cove Rangers v Raith Rovers
Dundee v Inverness
Truro v Weston Super Mare
Beaconsfield v Truro
England v Kosovo
England v Montenegro
Rangers v St Mirren
Everton v Newcastle
Everton v Wolverhampton
Morecambe v Newport
Morecambe v Port Vale.

Jan 29, 2010
Been to quite a few random games over the years including

Tottenham - WBA
Everton - QPR
Villa - Southampton
Brentford- Northampton
Brentford - Orient
Tranmere - Blackpool
Arsenal - Manchester United
Coventry - Nottingham Forest
Several England Games
Norwich - MK Dons
MK Dons - Lincoln
Many Torquay games
A couple of seasons ago even managed to take in Malaga v Deportivo La Corunna whilst on holiday.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Do like to keep a record of these:

Palace 1 West Ham 0 (2004 champ play off final - Millennium)
Malaga 0 Real Madrid 2 (2005, La Liga - Rosaleda)
Torquay 0 Boston 0 (2006, League 2 - Plainmoor)
Fulham 1 Newcastle 0 (2006, Premier League - Craven Cottage)
Watford 3 Leeds 0 (2006 champ play off final - Millennium)
Fulham 1 Man Utd 2 (2007, Prem League - Craven Cottage)
Yeovil 0 Notts Forest 2 (2007, play off 2nd leg - Huish)
Derby 1 West Brom 0 (2007 champ play off final - Wembley)
Exeter 2 Northwich 1 (2008, conference - St James)
Fulham 1 Sunderland 3 (2008, Prem League- Craven Cottage)
Torquay 4 Histon 1 (2008, conference, Plainmoor)
Torquay 2 Eastbourne 0 (2008, conference - Plainmoor)
Torquay 1 Exeter 4 (2008, conf play off 2nd leg - Plainmoor)
Hull 1 Bristol City 0 (2008, champ play off final - Wembley)
Fulham 1 Stoke 0 (2009, Premier League - Craven Cottage)
Torquay 5 Darlington 0 (2009, League 2 - Plainmoor)
England 4 Slovakia 0 (2009 world cup qualifier - Wembley)
Burnley 1 Sheff United 0 (2009 champ play off final - Wembley)
Torquay 2 Histon 0 (2009 conf play offs 1st leg - Plainmoor)
Blackpool 3 Cardiff 2 (2010 champ play off final - Wembley)
Stevenage 1 Torquay 0 (2011 L2 play off final - Old Trafford)
Torquay 1 Shrewsbury 0 (2012 League 2 - Plainmoor)
Exeter 3 Carlisle 2 (2017 League 2 play off 2nd leg - St James)
Exeter 0 Morecambe 0 (2019, League 2 - St James Park)

Mar 22, 2020
Watched Huddersfield home games for a season whilst away at college 1986/87 in the old Leeds Rd ground. Boy their fans were harsh on the players! Also that season I took a bus ride to Manchester and watched utd vs Liverpool from the Stretford end. I naively thought you could just pay at the turnstiles, the game was all ticket. Bought one from a tout outside the ground for the princely sum of £8. How times have changed. Cars upside down mounted police charges, It was all happening after!

I probably end up at up to half a dozen random games per season for one reason or another. This season I've watched Blackburn play at Hull and Brentford as the nephew's a Rovers fan, went to West Ham against Palace at the Olympic Stadium and have been down to Manse Lane to watch my local side Knaresborough Town play.

I've moved around quite a lot but have never been that bothered with watching the league teams of where I've lived. Saw a handful of Norwich City matches when I was at UEA in the last nineties, then when I lived in Tufnell Park for a while around 2007/08, I used to go down to the Emirates to watch Arsenal's league cup ties as the tickets used to be priced at a tenner. Brazil used to play friendlies in London around the same time so I saw them play Wales at White Hart Lane and Portugal at the Emirates for not much more than that. They were fairly drab matches though I recall, rather like exhibition games.

M

Because my children and grandchildren are spread about the country I go to many games as a neutral each season, all too numerous to mention. Here’s a question I’m anxious to resolve. Am I gloriously alone in often enjoying these matches more than games at HP. Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing more satisfying than an Argyle win, but because I’m in a constant state of nervousness unless we’re 3-0 up with ten minutes to go, I find I actually enjoy the 90 minutes as a neutral more. Am I normal or weird?

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
mervyn":1hq5kci7 said:
Because my children and grandchildren are spread about the country I go to many games as a neutral each season, all too numerous to mention. Here’s a question I’m anxious to resolve. Am I gloriously alone in often enjoying these matches more than games at HP. Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing more satisfying than an Argyle win, but because I’m in a constant state of nervousness unless we’re 3-0 up with ten minutes to go, I find I actually enjoy the 90 minutes as a neutral more. Am I normal or weird?

I agree Merv. Can't say I enjoy anything 'more' than an Argyle win but a neutral game is an intellectual 'love of football per se' arrangement.
I saw lots of Fourth Division Watford when my Brother lived there and I was in Ilford. Great craic. Red Lion pub across the road, drink up and stroll in when you heard the ref's whistle for coin toss!! Shouting to Elton in the car park: 'Wotcher Reg!!'.
Saw lots of West Ham over the years as I was in Ilford. Never a great view there if you're 5ft 9in mind!!
Saw lots of Arsenal when they won the double as I worked for London Transport and had a free travel pass. Saw Chelsea, Fulham, Spurs too.
In those days you just strolled in off the street!!
Saw Maidstone's first ever League game, away to Posh. I lived in Maidstone then but only went a few times. I was coming back from a holiday up north (different times) and noticed Maidstone way on the Saturday so went. Remember thinking they did OK but that Warren Barton looked poor!!

May 8, 2011
mervyn":3oup08hd said:

I find matches that I watch as a neutral seem to be over very quickly. I don’t seem to be constantly looking at my watch or a scoreboard.

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
Purely random games have included: Wigan v Barnsley- whilst at. College in Liverpool. A friend of mine was Joe Joyce, the Barnsley captain’s girlfriend and got us tickets including entry to the players’ bar at Springfield Park which reminded me of Albion’s bar at Beacon Park - but more downmarket.
I believe Joe Joyce was on the academy staff at Newcastle until a couple of seasons ago.

Birmingham v Middlesbrough- Again while I was in Liverpool. A mate was a big fan of Borough and asked if I wanted to catch a train with him down to Brum for the FA Cup fourth round match that afternoon.

Malaga v Real Betis - won tickets in a local radio competition when living in Spain.
Atletico Madrid v Barcelona . A friend of a friend was visiting Madrid and was a Barca fan.

Brentford v Grimsby - my U-13 team when I was working in Slough was taking part in the half time penalty contest