Chris Errington furloughed | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Chris Errington furloughed

metroace

ā™£ļø Senior Greens
āœ… Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
Thatā€™s the last reason I had for visiting the Plymouth Live website gone then.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Exactly what I thought as well.

No Chris, no Herald end of story.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
A shame for CE, a few years ago the Herald had 4 or 5 journalists covering Argyle, now they have none.
I would guess CE articles generate big readership for the Herald/Plymouth Live so even though there isn't much news at the moment it could be a huge mistake to stop CE from working and cause long term damage.

Aug 5, 2016
There is no Argyle news to report though?

Instead of the Herald getting 80% of his wages from the government, they would be paying a senior sports reporter 100% of his wages with no sport to report on, and nothing but coronavirus to write about.

Seems like the Herald made the logical decision to me.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Iā€™m sure he would be welcome to come on here and share his views and thoughts with us.
I saw that someone on twitter calls him ā€˜Errorsā€™. That could be his pseudonym on here although I am sure it would be more appropriate for several other journalists.
I sincerely hope that he is not furloughed for too long.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
Plymouth Live is still publishing the occasional Argyle article using other reporters, which is a bit disrespectful to CE, imho.

AdelaideGreen

šŸ‡¦šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡¦šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡¦šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡¦šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡¦šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡¦šŸ‡ŗ
Jan 11, 2017
Regrettable.

Surely there are still stories that could be written, even if there is nothing happening on the pitch

BTW - being "furloughed" is not a term that you hear in Australia, but it sounds very uncomfortable and might involve a plough.

Forest of Dean Green

āœ… Evergreen
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
AdelaideGreen":1ozb2bge said:
Regrettable.

Surely there are still stories that could be written, even if there is nothing happening on the pitch

BTW - being "furloughed" is not a term that you hear in Australia, but it sounds very uncomfortable and might involve a plough.

I was looking at the Herald today online and I must say if I was Chris Iā€™d be mightily peeved. The club are stringing our stories from other sources. 2 or 3 articles culled from the Ryan Lowe podcast thing. Reports from the recent online forum. So they are still reporting Argyle, and clearly see it as important to the paper, but theyā€™ve furloughed the reporter and are broadly drawing second hand on other peopleā€™s intellectual property to do so. I think thatā€™s a bit crap isnā€™t it?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
Forest of Dean Green":1b35ffds said:
AdelaideGreen":1b35ffds said:
Regrettable.

I was looking at the Herald today online and I must say if I was Chris Iā€™d be mightily peeved. The club are stringing our stories from other sources. 2 or 3 articles culled from the Ryan Lowe podcast thing. Reports from the recent online forum. So they are still reporting Argyle, and clearly see it as important to the paper, but theyā€™ve furloughed the reporter and are broadly drawing second hand on other peopleā€™s intellectual property to do so. I think thatā€™s a bit crap isnā€™t it?

I thought the same and the articles you mention are written by the Exeter City reporter who has in the past took the pee out of Argyle.

What happens to CE if there is no football to report on for the next 6 months or so?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I would imagine like most industries, the collateral damage will be as damaging as the actual industry itself.

Furlough cannot go on forever, and that's when really hard decisions will have to be made.

May 8, 2011
Forest of Dean Green":36l1wfnr said:
AdelaideGreen":36l1wfnr said:
Regrettable.

To be honest apart from match reports it appeared to me that most Argyle related stories are just rehashes of articles from the official website or twitter even before the current situation. I canā€™t think of the last time the Herald broke a news story about Argyle.
Over the last year there have been a number of long serving staff at Argyle who have left at very short notice but all the Herald reported on them was what the Club statements said, I would have thought a few of them would have warranted a bit more in-depth coverage.

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
Forest of Dean Green":32w4liwq said:
AdelaideGreen":32w4liwq said:
Regrettable.

So the Herald are still getting the Argyle stuff done (though not so well by the sound of it) while the taxpayer is picking up the tab for 80% of Chris's salary.

I thought the furlough scheme was intended to apply where your job had temporarily disappeared, not where your job was being done by "less able" employees.

Apr 1, 2009
Have we reached the point where we don't actually need a journalist/reporter dedicated to writing about Plymouth Argyle? If we haven't, I think that point is not far away.

The written (print) media was traditionally how fans used to find out information about their club, and where they would read reports on games, transfer gossip etc. It was the key vehicle of communication from club to fans. It isn't anymore. What percentage of fans currently view The Herald (or similar) as their main information point for all things Argyle? A pretty small percentage I would wager, and one on the whole made up of older fans who have always done things this way.

Where the club used to use the local media to distribute information, it now (in the first instance) uses its official website. Once posted there, it spreads to fan sites like this one and to general social media. Written commentary on the news, once handled by the local journo, now comes instantly from fans communicating with one another across a variety of platforms and expressing their opinions. There are a wealth of amateur podcasts, blogs, vlogs etc., if further opinions are sought. There's a wealth of gossip too, some of it informed, most of it rubbish!

Do we really need match reports in the Herald? Yes, Chris Errington writes nicely and it's always interesting to hear his viewpoint, but nowadays there's always a steady supply of amateurs who are happy to write up games and express their views. This would only expand if there were less comprehensive Herald reports.

I am in no way having a go at Chris Errington, a consumate professional in what he does. I also have no wish to condemn the jobs of good people who do them well. There comes a time however, when progress renders such people as less significant (and therefore less economic to employ) than they once were. As others have said, when did you learn something really notable about Argyle from either the pages of its print copy, or from its website? For how long, even without COVID 19, can struggling provincial newspapers afford to employ an experienced journalist to report on the local club?

As I write it has been announced that the furlough scheme has been extended until October. It's highly unlikely that Argyle will play any football during those next six months. It's also highly unlikely that they will be signing a load of new footballers until it is a lot clearer as to when football might resume. Frankly, there's not going to be a lot to write about.

I wish Chris Errington well, but fear for the role he has carried out for so long.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
xmastree":3f3mfnm8 said:
Have we reached the point where we don't actually need a journalist/reporter dedicated to writing about Plymouth Argyle? If we haven't, I think that point is not far away.

The written (print) media was traditionally how fans used to find out information about their club, and where they would read reports on games, transfer gossip etc. It was the key vehicle of communication from club to fans. It isn't anymore. What percentage of fans currently view The Herald (or similar) as their main information point for all things Argyle? A pretty small percentage I would wager, and one on the whole made up of older fans who have always done things this way.

Where the club used to use the local media to distribute information, it now (in the first instance) uses its official website. Once posted there, it spreads to fan sites like this one and to general social media. Written commentary on the news, once handled by the local journo, now comes instantly from fans communicating with one another across a variety of platforms and expressing their opinions. There are a wealth of amateur podcasts, blogs, vlogs etc., if further opinions are sought. There's a wealth of gossip too, some of it informed, most of it rubbish!

Do we really need match reports in the Herald? Yes, Chris Errington writes nicely and it's always interesting to hear his viewpoint, but nowadays there's always a steady supply of amateurs who are happy to write up games and express their views. This would only expand if there were less comprehensive Herald reports.

I am in no way having a go at Chris Errington, a consumate professional in what he does. I also have no wish to condemn the jobs of good people who do them well. There comes a time however, when progress renders such people as less significant (and therefore less economic to employ) than they once were. As others have said, when did you learn something really notable about Argyle from either the pages of its print copy, or from its website? For how long, even without COVID 19, can struggling provincial newspapers afford to employ an experienced journalist to report on the local club?

As I write it has been announced that the furlough scheme has been extended until October. It's highly unlikely that Argyle will play any football during those next six months. It's also highly unlikely that they will be signing a load of new footballers until it is a lot clearer as to when football might resume. Frankly, there's not going to be a lot to write about.

I wish Chris Errington well, but fear for the role he has carried out for so long.

Reading that is worrying and could happen.

Another article today on Plymouth Live taken from Ryan Lowe's podcast last week and written by the Exeter City reporter.