The Argyle five (player contracts) | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

The Argyle five (player contracts)

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
At last week fans forum, Neil Dewsnip confirmed just 5 players will be under contract to us after June 30th.

Anyone want to suggest which five players we are retaining?

My guesses - zero knowledge on this just kicking debate off!

1) Danny Mayor - presumably needed a longer contract to bring him here

2) Dom Telford- paid a fee for him I recall so would make sense if he had 2 year deal?

3) Mike Cooper - think deal was agreed in early months of Lowe being here

4) Byron Moore - over 30 did he get a 2 year deal when joining us?

5) Callum Macfazdean- another Bury import who might have got longer deal?

Aug 4, 2011
One of the reasons we secured Mayor was because it was just a one year deal. I thought that was common knowledge.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
HC Green":31i0540n said:
Mayor is on a one year contract apparently.

I heard with a trigger clause of number of games played. He’s signing for another season thankfully.

May 8, 2011
IJN":222lj0z1 said:
HC Green":222lj0z1 said:
Mayor is on a one year contract apparently.

I heard with a trigger clause of number of games played. He’s signing for another season thankfully.

Not the rubbished 1 plus 1 contract!

I am surprised that Jephcott doesn’t seem to have had his contract extended similar to Cooper especially after all the praise and hype he has received. Obviously because of his age Argyle will receive compensation if he signs for another Club.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Definitely Michael Cooper .... PAFC

Maybe some of the promising youngsters have signed new deals like Jephcott, Lolos and Randell?

Aug 3, 2008
Plymouth
Are Argyle in a better position financially than most due to the fact that so many player's contracts run out in June? Many club's players may have longer contracts which they have to fulfil.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
pilgrimage":33vkd3dl said:
Are Argyle in a better position financially than most due to the fact that so many player's contracts run out in June? Many club's players may have longer contracts which they have to fulfil.

Well it will certainly be the case that only having 5 players under contract will mean the ongoing financial commitment to paying players is a lot smaller than it might have been, and in a financial crisis that can only be a good thing. On the flip side it also means that our squad is too small to be useful, but given that we don't have any games to play yet that isn't really a problem.

I thought that Simon Hallett put this very well in the Fans Forum when he described player contracts as a form of debt.

Mar 10, 2017
Ipplepen
With this situation possibly meaning no league football for a substantial time could it lead to a large amount of players in the lower leagues being unemployed after 30th June? Clubs that are struggling for funds won’t want to be signing players and paying wages until nearer to the restart of games.

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Can see new break clauses being added to any new contracts in the event if a catastrophic event that prevents players from playing going forward dobt you ?

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
The Doctor":ml78zoku said:
pilgrimage":ml78zoku said:

Well it will certainly be the case that only having 5 players under contract will mean the ongoing financial commitment to paying players is a lot smaller than it might have been, and in a financial crisis that can only be a good thing. On the flip side it also means that our squad is too small to be useful, but given that we don't have any games to play yet that isn't really a problem.

I thought that Simon Hallett put this very well in the Fans Forum when he described player contracts as a form of debt.

Scunthorpe have announced they have 11 players out of contract at end of season. None are being offered a deal due to financial impact of lockdown.

The released include Songo'o. They will also have just 5 contracted players.

Surely the trend over the past 5-10 years for EFL clubs has been ever shorter contracts as finances become more and more hand to mouth. I suspect few League 1 and 2 clubs will have many more players left than us. Exeter might just be an exception, if their rumoured £1.7 million in the bank is true, and with a higher than average number of their players being ex academy and therefore presumably not huge salaries. (My source for the £1.7 million is a group of their local supporters here in Chudleigh).

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Michael Cooper, Joel Grant, Luke Jephcott, Adam Randall and Klaidi Lolos. I think are the 5. That’s judging by Football Manager, which is fairly accurate.

All of the new signings last summer had a one year extension clause in their deals which can be triggered by the club.

All of the players signed before our relegation season are out of contract this summer.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
There will be a very uncertain time on the horizon for the players if, as reported, football played in front of crowds does not return until 2021.

There will be hundreds of players without a contract after 30 June and lower league clubs with no income will not be able to offer new contracts.

It was said at the virtual Fans Forum a few weeks ago that the money at Argyle will run out in July, so will Simon Hallett fund the wages of the five players and management team under contract and also pay the wages for new contracts?
Will he offer new contracts to the likes of Sarcevic or Canavan so that they stay or there could the intention of a contract once football is played in front of fans again?
Faced with no wages for a few months players will opt to go to clubs who are still paying wages, presumably Salford or clubs with owners funding the wages.

It will be difficult for Ryan Lowe to not only keep some of the players out of contract but also entice new players to the club.

There will be huge pressure on Simon and Jane Hallett to pay the wages for new players and to keep current players, if they do we will have a big advantage of a settled squad of sorts once football returns to normal.