Can you answer this veridical paradox? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Can you answer this veridical paradox?

I want you to imagine 3 green doors. Behind two of the doors is a donkey. Behind a third door is a Ferrari. You don’t know which is which. You are invited to choose a door. If you are lucky you win the Ferrari, if not, a donkey. Please make your selection.

Before we open your door, I open one of the other doors to reveal a donkey. There are now two doors left, your choice and one other. Before I open your door I give you the opportunity to change your mind. You can either stick with your original choice, or change to the other door. Which should you do?

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
It depends on whether my original choice was also your original choice. If it was, I’d be daft not to change my mind.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Unless you have opened the middle door to reveal the donkey, I would open the door at the opposite end.
If the donkey were behind the middle door I'd know whether I saw it's head or it's rear so would take the door 'beyond' it's head. There is, after all, only 'a' single donkey behind two doors? :think:

Pogleswoody":3k8c2kb0 said:
Unless you have opened the middle door to reveal the donkey, I would open the door at the opposite end.
If the donkey were behind the middle door I'd know whether I saw it's head or it's rear so would take the door 'beyond' it's head. There is, after all, only 'a' single donkey behind two doors? :think:

Sorry, I should have worded it better. There are definitely two donkeys, each behind their own door.

Apr 1, 2009
mervyn":14t9pwxj said:
Neilio":14t9pwxj said:
You always take the opportunity to switch in that scenario!

But why bother, if common sense/logic tells you whatever the choice it’s 50:50?

I would switch. Before my first choice it's a straight one in three. You then had a one in two, but by ignoring the door that neither of us has chosen you have strengthened the case for the Ferrari being behind that ignored door. Does that make any sense ?I'm not convinced it does!

Apr 1, 2009
mervyn":6rspurpb said:
Neilio":6rspurpb said:
You always take the opportunity to switch in that scenario!

But why bother, if common sense/logic tells you whatever the choice it’s 50:50?

I would switch. Before my first choice it's a straight one in three. You then had a one in two, but by ignoring the door that neither of us has chosen you have strengthened the case for the Ferrari being behind that ignored door. Does that make any sense ?I'm not convinced it does!

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
When you first choose one of the three doors, you have a 33.3% chance of getting the Ferrari.
When one donkey is revealed, the other door has then a 50% chance of being the Ferrari, while your chosen door is still in effect 33%.
So I guess you should change.

... or something like that. :problem:

Lousy_Pint":45i265hz said:
When you first choose one of the three doors, you have a 33.3% chance of getting the Ferrari.
When one donkey is revealed, the other door has then a 50% chance of being the Ferrari, while your chosen door is still in effect 33%.
So I guess you should change.

... or something like that. :problem:

You and Xmas tree are spot on. By switching you double your chances of success from one in three to one in two. Large scale computer programmes have been run to prove this. I’ve known this conundrum for years, but only today learned that it’s called a veridical paradox. Basically the name for an answer to a puzzle that seems to defy common sense or logic.

Jul 7, 2008
Plymouth/Bristol
Change your mind. At the start the odds of picking the correct door are 33%, and 66% chance of you picking the wrong one.

Those odds don't change just because it's now been reduced down to 2 doors - there's still a 66% chance you were wrong with your original choice so you should always swap.

Derren Brown did a similar thing and explained it well :).