The Argyle badge

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The Argyle badge has had a fascinating history, it was only recently (well 1964) that the Mayflower design was first used, even after that the Mayflower was ditched in 1973 in favour of just the PAFC lettering before returning in 1982.

Steve at GOS has published an excellent article on the history of the Argyle badge .... PDF Note the reference to the direction of the flags on the Mayflower compared to the sails.

The images below are best viewed on a phone.

Is it time for a new badge?

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
meetoo":246xl09d said:
Perhaps but not that piece of carp at the end :(
I agree about the last one.
No need for a change.

Aug 12, 2016
Bang Phra. Thailand
We could definately do with a new badge. But not that Viking long ship one!

If we can change our 'historic' emerald green to a mouldy bread shade well why not the badge as well?

Ditch the Mayflower, a ship full of religious nutters, for something vibrant and fresh.

OR

The 1980 one is pretty cool

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I've removed the concept badge, the idea was the history of the Argyle badge.

sverigegreen":3soxb5z1 said:
We could definitely do with a new badge.

Really? :shock:

Ditch the Mayflower, a ship full of religious nutters, for something vibrant and fresh.

REALLY?? :doh:

OR

The 1980 one is pretty cool

R E A L L Y ? ? ? :crazy:

Each to his own I guess but the Mayflower/Pilgrims is synonymous with Plymouth. Who looks at that badge and thinks “religious nutters”?
And the 1980 badge? No - just no.
As I said, each to his own.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Said this before, but I think the badge HAS to have the word ‘Argyle’ on it.

The shield with the Mayflower on is perfect, but the scroll with PAFC is something I’m not remotely attached to and PAFC is not our ‘brand’ :sick: ... Argyle is our main identity (along with Plymouth and the south west) and it’s not on the badge.

I’d say it’s fairly unlikely now though, with all the branding gone up around the new stand.

Feb 8, 2019
I've always thought the mayflower made for a good looking badge, but I've never really cared for the scroll.

Maybe just a re-vamp of the current badge could work?

I put this together in photoshop, it's not perfect but it could work:

Aug 12, 2016
Bang Phra. Thailand
When I posted earlier I was trying to be ironic.
But clearly I am no good at that.

So in honesty I think the Mayflower is fine however maybe a new artistic depiction of it would be nice.
Perhaps a front view of the ship in full wind with billowing sales.

As regards the initial posting I also really like the 1911 green cross and four castles.Pity that could not be incorporated also as it is a city crest.

Given the clubs committment to Mayflower 400 ( is that cancelled too?) however there is no chance of any changes soon

Apr 15, 2020
Thought I'd have a go at creating one

Argyle-logo.jpg

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
That's one of the best I've seen. The font, colours and boldness are spot on but I think it has to have the shield and the current Mayflower image.

Being greedy but could you have a go at keeping the current shield (maybe with the green, white and black outline you have there) and incorporate the same font Plymouth Argyle under it?

The Spurs badge is perfect, because you can use it with and without the Tottenham Hotspur wording...

brand.gif

Jan 26, 2006
Plymouth
I like the mid 90s stitched ship with the full name. I feel we don’t need a shield or a scroll. Just the ship with Argyle written somewhere. Like Spurs above simple and effective.