Biggest moment of the season? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Biggest moment of the season?

Apr 20, 2013
Hi all,

I don't often post on here and apologies if this topic has already been covered, but with the league set to be finalised on a points per game system we have narrowly made the top three (deservedly though in my opinion). So with that in mind do you think there was one moment that really made a difference to our points tally or confidence?

For me it has to be Chris Porter's miss against us in the home game against crew. Despite the appalling conditions I thought it was an excellent game and Crewe really impressed me. At 1-1 (i think?) if Porter had scored I don't think we would have come back.

I know you can't go on ifs and buts, but just for fun do you have one moment from this season that sticks in your mind?

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Pilgrimouth":zcc7v3ph said:
Hi all,

I don't often post on here and apologies if this topic has already been covered, but with the league set to be finalised on a points per game system we have narrowly made the top three (deservedly though in my opinion). So with that in mind do you think there was one moment that really made a difference to our points tally or confidence?

For me it has to be Chris Porter's miss against us in the home game against crew. Despite the appalling conditions I thought it was an excellent game and Crewe really impressed me. At 1-1 (i think?) if Porter had scored I don't think we would have come back.

I know you can't go on ifs and buts, but just for fun do you have one moment from this season that sticks in your mind?

If we're uo I think there should be a statue of Porter put up somewhere round the ground. Cheers fella

Keith Whitfield

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 30, 2015
And how about Luke Jephcott's great goal in the same game to draw us level - made by wonderful lead-up play by my man of the season, Byron Moore. The find of the season and the buy of the season.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
I think the fixture list played a big part - the timing of which gave us two (very) winnable home games just before lockdown.

Have to say Porter miss would be in the top three BMOTS though :greensmile:

Jun 27, 2019
Interesting question.

I don't think there's been a defining moment this season, in the same way that, say, the Rushden comeback win was in 2000-01 or the Bury 5-0 in 1995-96 or Sheffield Wednesday away in 2003-04.

That Crewe miss was certainly a biggie, as was Canavan's last-gasp winner against Stevenage. That would have been a really disappointing result coming hot on the heels of the Swindon home defeat and with a tricky away game at Scunthorpe coming up.

Also Hardie's late winner against Salford. Having been hammered at Colchester a few days before and with Crewe at home coming up, that was a huge win.

In a general sense, we also always managed to recover from a defeat, never losing two league games in a row. That says a lot for RL's motivation skills and the mental strength of the squad.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I would say the 4-0 defeat against Exeter City back in October.
The result toned down fans expectations and Ryan Lowe's bluster in the media and after that game we only lost four more league games throughout the season.

The defeat gave us a wake up call and an opportunity to refocus.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
PL2 3DQ":3trxx2dm said:
The result toned down fans expectations and Ryan Lowe's bluster in the media and after that game we only lost four more league games throughout the season.

Got to agree with this. It's going to be a long time before that performance is erased from the memory.

Oct 14, 2015
Defo the Crewe game and not just for the Porter miss but the bang on penalty that the ref didn’t give them...

Luck certainly on our side that day

Mar 22, 2020
Maybe not a specific moment but for me the signing of Ryan Hardy transformed us from a promotion contender to possible champions. That good a finisher it was surprising when he didn't score!

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
The Porter miss was unbelievable and ranks with the worst you’ll ever see. Defeat that day may have derailed us. Agree re Hardie. He was as different as night and day to Rudden and I sincerely hope we can sign him. I’d rather have him than G. Cooper tbh.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Keepitgreen":6ktndkjl said:
PL2 3DQ":6ktndkjl said:

Got to agree with this. It's going to be a long time before that performance is erased from the memory.

Possibly a very long time before we can avenge it.

"We'll meet again". :wave:

Feb 2, 2005
Cornwall
The 3-0 at home to Macclesfield. We were all over them and could have been a cricket score. Danny Mayor was mesmerising in midfield and the way he unselfishly tee'd up Cooper for the 2nd was fabulous. It was a dominant performance by us and put clear distance between ourselves and 4th.

A week later the World changed and that clear distance could be what gets us promoted.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
PL2 3DQ":15wjijlf said:

I agree that this was the turning point, but I think more for the manager than for anyone else. It showed him two things.
1. It wasn't going to be as easy as he thought.
2. Playing Excreta isn't just another game. It was our worst result since 1925 and totally unacceptable.

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
As Postey says, the defeat up the road was a big wake up call and we weren’t anywhere near that bad again.

However, the biggest moment has to be that glaring miss by Porter.