Only 2 teams may be relegated from League 1 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Only 2 teams may be relegated from League 1

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
I expressed concern this morning when I saw the Phil Parkinson interview on Sky and he mentioned Tranmere.

Now it is being reported in tomorrow's Mail that only Bolton and Southend will go down, exactly what I feared.

There will obviously have to be compromises to get everyone to agree and this could be one way of braking the impasse in League 1, together with an extended Play-offs to include the teams in 7th and 8th.

Assuming 3 teams go up from League 1 which is what all the real fuss is about, they still need 3 teams to come up from League 2 to make up the numbers after the demise of Bury.

What we don't need is only 2 teams coming down from the Championship, using the precedent of League 2 and now perhaps League 1 of reducing the number of teams to go down or cancelling it all together in the case of Stevenage.

Going to be a nervous few days.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Balham_Green":1v038ucg said:
Tranmere have game in hand so fair enough. Doesnt apply to Championship.
But what if they decide only 2 automatic places from League 2 and the 3rd team go into the Play-offs?

Hopefully, I’m just being a little paranoid but with all of the various machinations ongoing behind the scenes, Argyle’s promotion is very far from being a done deal.

Sep 6, 2006
demportdave":3istw5m6 said:
Balham_Green":3istw5m6 said:
Tranmere have game in hand so fair enough. Doesnt apply to Championship.
But what if they decide only 2 automatic places from League 2 and the 3rd team go into the Play-offs?

Hopefully, I’m just being a little paranoid but with all of the various machinations ongoing behind the scenes, Argyle’s promotion is very far from being a done deal.

They have already agreed in principle to top 3 going up. If 3rd place went in to play offs that would be 5 teams in it!

Mar 14, 2009
Im afraid somewhere there will have to be compromises.

Everyone is fighting for their own club.

It wasn't nice for Port Vale to have to vote and agree to cancel the season as they are stuck in 8th.

Unfortunately, for football to move on we might have to swallow a bitter pill here because whilst the FA have said promotions and relegations have to happen we already seen in our league we have compromised that ruling with Stevenage given a reprieve.

People are going to use the Bury Expulsion to save their own skin.

So if we as league two allow this to happen how can we tell league one clubs they can't only relegate two clubs? Especially if it means there league has found a way forward.

I'm afraid given the desperation of clubs at this moment in time our promotion is far from secured.

Mar 29, 2020
We are Promoted and Bolton,Southend and Tranmere will be relegated....they are only talking about it....League 1 will be talking about all the scenarios....but the bottom line is.....No more football played bottom 3 as they are will go down on PPG....if League 1 starts up again Tranmere might survive.... paranoia is really setting in on some Argyle fans.... :razz:

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Kersie":2o20006y said:
We are Promoted and Bolton,Southend and Tranmere will be relegated....they are only talking about it....League 1 will be talking about all the scenarios....but the bottom line is.....No more football played bottom 3 as they are will go down on PPG....if League 1 starts up again Tranmere might survive.... paranoia is really setting in on some Argyle fans.... :razz:

Setting in……?

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
I thought that only two teams are relegated from league one as Bury went bust so ther was only 23 teams in that league not 24.

German Shepherd

🚑 Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
How can the EFL allow no relegation from League 2 but relegation from League 1 ? It opens up all kinds of quite rightful protestations from the club's that were to be relegated (even Bolton & Southend unfortunately).
Maybe the League 2 clubs could argue that they're being relegated out of the League to a different competition instead of between EFL leagues; so that would allow for the difference ??? (if that makes sense). :crazy:

Feb 15, 2005
Surely it’s up to the EFL committee to decide how many go up and down? Otherwise if League 1 decides no relegation from League 1 like League 2 then no one goes up.

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
Mike Greening":ohp6v4rn said:
I thought that only two teams are relegated from league one as Bury went bust so ther was only 23 teams in that league not 24.

It was meant to be three down, four up to replace Bury, so if Tranmere get a reprieve, only three will go up from League 2.

German Shepherd

🚑 Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
The EFL could rule that Stevenage have to be relegated, it was only an indicative vote by League 2, thereby solving the problem if they then uphold the relegation rules from the other Divisions. It'll still be reliant on The Premiersh*te to set forth it's decree from their Ivory tower.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Just posted this on another thread, but it’s relevant here.

The number of teams being promoted and relegated should not be part of the discussion. Why should one club get a reprieve at the cost of a promoted team, while another doesn’t? The promotions and relegations should be honoured as set out at the beginning of the season, or scrapped altogether.

The only discussion should be on how the final places are decided and what to do with the play-offs.

Oct 31, 2015
This is exactly why I wasn't celebrating on Friday. Although th season has rightly finished there has been no official announcement on promotions. I think quite a few have jumped the gun. We have to let the suits and so called big 6 (said with a hint of sarcasm :funny: ) in league 1 talk this out.

The fat lady is only warming up and too many people assumed including areas of the press.

Let's see what next week brings shall we :scarf: