Season 20/21 at Home Park | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Season 20/21 at Home Park

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Not a thread about our prospects in either League 1 or 2. This is about what adaptions might be needed to fulfill games behind closed doors as is expected to be required at least for a while.

Having watched and followed coverage of the Bundesliga on the weekend, below are some areas that might need addressing assuming some social distancing required for safety reasons.

Testing
Twice a week for players in Premier league so presumably same expectations of sides lower down pyramid. Cost implications could be significant if required for extended period to get games played.

Training/Changing facilities
In Germany players have to arrive at training ground in their kit. Bundesliga teams are isolated in hotels, Argyle unlikely to do that but players options for changing will need to change to respect the new society post virus. Clearly changing rooms have improved massively since the refurbishment but arrangements for players changing for training and also both pre and post match will have to change.

Subs bench
Distancing of the substitutes and non playing staff during a game - guess at Home Park the first row of the new stand may be needed to accommodate distancing requirements given the dug out layout and proximity of the two benches.

Away travel for players
Distancing may be needed on team coach - in fact will we need two team coaches for away games? Another cost implication if so.

Media
Assuming here games may be streamed while crowds are banned. Again we have improved facilities available now, but, as in Germany testing will be required for anyone in attendance at the stadium.

Just speculating on how things will work when football returns and potential impacts on Argyle.

Apr 1, 2009
I just can't see L1 and L2 coping with behind closed doors for anything but a very short time. To fulfil such fixtures obviously means employing a full squad of (unfurloughed) footballers, coaching staff and medical staff. In other words clubs will have to bear almost all their regular costs, but will only have a small percentage of regular income levels. Given that many of these clubs exist on a fairly precarious balance sheet in normal times, it would be carnage.

Put it on hold until fans can attend.

Aug 12, 2016
Bang Phra. Thailand
Sorry for the pessimism but I think that if you are talking about next season with fans in the stadium it is more likely to be 21/22 and probably with far fewer professional clubs than currently.

May 8, 2011
With the NHS using parts of the stadium including the changing rooms until they leave I assume those parts of the stadium would be out of bounds to anyone else.

May 12, 2020
sverigegreen":2pe49sxo said:
Sorry for the pessimism but I think that if you are talking about next season with fans in the stadium it is more likely to be 21/22 and probably with far fewer professional clubs than currently.

Couldn't agree more. There will be no fans in Home Park in the 20/21 season hopefully by the August of 2021 a vaccine may be up and running to allow the avoidance of social distancing for 21/22

Dec 3, 2005
OMG this is a depressing thread.

IF League 1 or 2 go ahead next season without spectators, it will obviously cost the Clubs enormously and if it does go on for longer then we hope with empty Stadiums, then the lack of Season Ticket money will force some Clubs out of existance.

IF the EFL or the Government decide that football can start but in empty Stadiums, the only way to cut costs, in a small way, will be to have Northern and Southern Leagues for the bottom two Leagues,which will obviously cut travel and hotel expenditure.
(This MAYBE the new NORMAL or just for ONE Season)

With Supporters buying Season Ticket's to watch the games via their computer/phone/tablet.

Or Supporters able to buy individual tickets for matches of their choice.

This would at least bring in some money to the Clubs and reduce some bills.

Even IF the restriction lasts for half the Season, it maybe a way forward.

IF and WHEN Supporters are allowed into watch games, it will no doubt be a very much reduced capacity, plus many Supporters will individualy decide attending is not for them, due to their health issues.

So even with Supporters able to attend, albeit with reduced capacity (I can't see anything NORMAL returning until the following season), Clubs and Supporters will have to adjust to the 'new normal' for next Season.

Stay Safe!! :scarf: :scarf:

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The government might extend the furlough scheme beyond October for the sporting industry where fan attendance provides the main income.
And if a season ticket of sorts is available for iFollow then League One and League Two might be able to continue with the appropriate safety measures for players and officials.

If not then lower league clubs will not financially be able to host any games until a vaccine is found that allows fans to return to stadiums.

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Ultimately Players wage expectations will need to match the situation
If players are signed I would imagine wages comparable to a Plumber or Electrician may become the norm
I can see players packing in anyway who wants to live on short term contracts like that ?

I can see lower leagues becoming part time on that basis it maybe able to continue paid per match zero hours contract style

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
PL2 3DQ":2ucr0pwy said:
The government might extend the furlough scheme beyond October for the sporting industry where fan attendance provides the main income.
And if a season ticket of sorts is available for iFollow then League One and League Two might be able to continue with the appropriate safety measures for players and officials.

If not then lower league clubs will not financially be able to host any games until a vaccine is found that allows fans to return to stadiums.

The furlough scheme though doesn't go far when it comes to footballers, even in L2. With the maximum Government pay out of £2,500 per month, any player earning more than around £750 per week will either have to accept less than 80% of his salary or the club will have a greater percentage to pay to make up his pay packet.

Can someone with more knowledge than me answer this question. Sky Sports (at least I think it’s them) already have cameras live streaming at every efl game. That’s how we get the Quest programme and sky goals highlights. Why can’t this be converted at every league ground to a pay per view service whilst play happens behind closed doors? I would willingly pay,say £20, to watch our games, and there must be many thousands like me. It would still leave an enormous financial shortfall, but might just keep us going until crowds can return.

I know this is no solution to the other problems regarding player concerns, testing etc. Or am I missing some fundamental point that makes this impossible?

Sep 6, 2006
I wonder how many you could get in to hp with social distancing. Whether that be 1 m 1.5 or 2. Keeps changing.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
I thibk by the time spectators are allowed into stadiums, whether Argyle are promoted or not will be a moot point as the football league will look radically different.
Either we'll lose a fair few clubs and have to reorganise the league structure, clubs will have to go amateur or there might be a rash of smaller clubs bought and subsumed by Premier league teams as feeder clubs... Or something else entirely

Jan 11, 2009
what about those of us, many hundreds, who do not live in Plymouth, travel in small groups (cars, coaches, mini buses ) etc. The social distancing necessity will play havoc with any industry that involves groups of people all moving at the same time, sports, entertainment, tourism. Football fans are not exactly known for their compliance with instructions or ground safety regulations. I just cannot see a way around this which will in any way resemble the old normal.

C

Cult Of Personality

Think we will be in Stadiums before the end of the 20/21 season. Cornovirus will just go the way that the Flu has . It will become a thing that kills of the weak and old. Goverments will just accept the death toll and life will go back to normal. Just over 500 people have died in the country who are under 70 with no underlying health concerns. Life will have to get back to normal to get the economy up and running