1. When can you add 'two' to 'eleven' and get 'one' as the correct answer?
2. An old beggar collects cigarette ends from ashtrays and pavements and uses the tobacco to roll her own cigarettes. She has this practice down to a fine art, knowing that seven cigarettes ends will make one cigarette. Since she has collected 49 ends, how many cigarettes can she make from these?
3. A farmer in Somerset owns a beautiful pear tree. He supplies the fruit to a nearby grocery store. The store owner has called the farmer to see how much fruit is available for him to purchase. The farmer knows that the main trunk has 24 branches. Each branch has exactly 12 boughs and each bough has exactly 6 twigs. Since each twig bears one piece of fruit, how many plums will the farmer be able to deliver?
4. What five letter word does every oxford graduate pronounce wrong?
5. A high speed electric train is travelling Southwest at 90 kilometres per hour. The wind is blowing Westward at 30 kilometres per hour. In what direction will the smoke from the engine blow?
6. Two mothers and two daughters were fishing. They managed to catch one big fish, one small fish, and one fat fish. Since only three fish were caught how is it possible that they each took home a fish?
7. If you were to step into a sealed room filled with 100% methane gas and strike a match, what would happen?
8. Before mount Everest was discovered, what was the highest mountain on earth?
9. Benjamin can never tell a lie. Fred can never tell the truth. One of them said, "The other one said he is Fred". Which one said that? Explain.
10. How can you physically stand behind your father while he is standing behind you?
11. If a doctor gives you three pills and tells you to take one pill every half hour, how long will they last?
12. Benjamin and jack were in a 100 metre race. When Benjamin crossed the finish line, jack was only at the 90 metre mark. Benjamin suggested they run another race. This time, Benjamin would start 10 metres behind the starting line. All other things being equal, will jack win, lose, or will it be a tie in the second race?
13. A man found a stick that weighed exactly two pounds. If the man cut the stick into eight equal pieces, how much would each piece weigh?