How to support the club? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

How to support the club?

D

Darren Stoneman

Good morning all

I have been thinking over the past few days about how the club can engage with fans to generate some revenue , I know we have massively supported the recent crowd funded, however I think the club may have missed a few opportunities.

Club membership

This could be a low cost scheme whereby you pay Ā£10 or so and get 10% discount at the club shop and attend a training match , maybe called Club PA10 or something similar

The next could be a more expensive option of say Ā£40 where you get the above + 10% off match day refreshments or priority queue or something similar Club PA20

The next could be Ā£75 and include a sponsorship option of sponsoring a seat, not linked to season ticket but could have both options of the above, a sticker on a seat and a photo of the payer of your choice sat next to your sponsored seat.

The next could be at Ā£100 and include all of the above and photo of you with the player of your choice

There could also be a roll of honour in the stands

Selling a 1000 of each could generate nearly a quarter of a million in revenue which would be new revenue to the club

They should also consider a commercial raffle of maybe Ā£100 with the prize of sponsoring a stand, this would give local businesses much needed advertising and again a roll of honour..

Selling 1000 would generate another Ā£100000

I am sure there will be reasons why some of these may not work, but this would provide the club for little outlay the opportunity to generate cash

There could also be a partnership included for supporters to get discounts at local companies in return for the raffle entry

Not sure if these would be popular but would be a innovative way for us to support our club,

justanotherfan

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
A good positive post and one which may kickstart some revenue raising solutions for PAFC.

Apr 1, 2009
I totally applaud Darren (and many others) who are concerned about the club and are thinking of ways to assist. I am afraid, however, that I think this is wholly unrealistic.

1. We've just had the Crowdfunder which I think raised Ā£50-60k from around 500 participants. Within a month or two, to then target raising perhaps 4 times as much from 8 times as many participants seems hugely ambitious at a time when many are feeling the pinch.

2. A scheme that involves 4000 people giving relatively small sums of money in return for relatively minor benefits will be an absolute nightmare to administer. That's a lot of transactions to check and provide benefits for. You'd need a dedicated customer service line to deal with complaints when a card doesn't work denying the user 10% off his coffee, or when a kid is sent a signed photo of Scott Wootton rather than the requested Gary Sawyer. You're creating a monster that could cost quite a lot of money and potentially lose some goodwill.

3. Ā£250k is a huge sum for a fanbase to raise. Yet there are still fans who expect the club to shell out this sort of fee over the summer to get the signature of EITHER George Cooper OR Ryan Hardie, that's without their wages or any guarantee as to when they might play any football. I'm unconvinced that the wider fanbase are entirely up to scratch as to the danger we could be in.

4. Despite Ā£250k being huge to raise, would it make the difference? I think those on here who were active in the Admin period would confirm that Ā£250k would disappear into the hole very quickly if the poo hit the fan - or to put it another way, if Mr Hallett said enough is enough.

I am convinced that if the fans had to raise Ā£250k that they knew would make the difference in terms of saving the club, then it would be achieved. If it was attempted now, however, it would be extremely difficult to do again.

I'm sorry to be negative. I certainly prefer the proposal of paying up front for season tickets without any assurance of when they can be used - my group would be onboard with this. Beyond this I think we have to wait for Mr Hallett to say where/how he wants assistance - he knows many fans are willing to do all they can.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Thereā€™s loads of little initiatives that could raise money, but all have their potential drawbacks.

One really popular idea (I know this because Iā€™ve seen it ā€˜elsewhereā€™ is to have famous player walls. So a bit like the access points to the stands at the moment. So for instance you could have your Paul Mariner wall, but instead of just a huge mural of the great man himself, people pay for a ā€˜brickā€™ in the wall which enabled them to have their name and age or nickname, as a permanent declaration of their loyalty. These are released at intervals, so once one player wall is full, another player wall is started. People would pay Ā£50 a go Iā€™m sure, to have their allegiance on display. Brilliant birthday and Christmas present. I had one bought for me for my 60th and itā€™s a huge wall. You can spend a good while looking for your brick before a match, a bit like one of IJNā€™s puzzles. :scarf:

D

Darren Stoneman

The commercial raffle was a great success for Yeovil a few years ago when they used it for shirt sponsors, they had Preston plunkett post office for a season after they ran the raffle

We would need to keep an eye on entries as we would not want another Chris Billy sponsored by Westward Bound!

Get the concern, but technology has moved forward so much most of this is available online

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
A few years ago there was a corporate season ticket. It was transferable to anyone in the company who wanted to see a match and it included an advert in the programme 4 times a year.

I believe there were also other packages available with more ticketed and perks.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Iā€™m thinking of buying a season ticket even though my work keeps me away from Home Park every Saturday anyway but also hopeful that ifollow for both home and away games can be purchased so I can watch the match ā€œliveā€ but at a time that suits.
I believe that Ā£8 of the Ā£10 ifollow fee goes to the named club so Argyle would also benefit from away fixtures.

Apr 1, 2009
Ade the green":1y7qwitt said:
Iā€™m thinking of buying a season ticket even though my work keeps me away from Home Park every Saturday anyway but also hopeful that ifollow for both home and away games can be purchased so I can watch the match ā€œliveā€ but at a time that suits.
I believe that Ā£8 of the Ā£10 ifollow fee goes to the named club so Argyle would also benefit from away fixtures.

I've no idea of the ifollow financial arrangements, but presumably there is a VAT portion involved, which would bring overall net revenue to Ā£8.33. Who bears the cost of filming?

German Shepherd

šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
To raise Ā£250,000 you'd need ,e.g, 5,000 people to donate Ā£50 each. Surely that would go a long way to helping the club at the moment. But is that achievable ? I really don't know.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
German Shepherd":bdvvioem said:
To raise Ā£250,000 you'd need ,e.g, 5,000 people to donate Ā£50 each. Surely that would go a long way to helping the club at the moment. But is that achievable ? I really don't know.

Signed photos could be given for reward for the donation. Cost next to nothing to produce.

KFA

Apr 4, 2012
Plymouth
Huddersfield owner Phil Hodgkinson warns '50 or 60 clubs' could go bust

BBC Sport report

Iā€™m afraid we ALL need to be concerned about the future of our club.

The first matter is the potential reclaim of monies already paid for the season just ended games. Unless your individual circumstances are such that you have to do so then support the club by waiving any refund. That does not mean having a discount on next seasonā€™s tickets as that does not generate additional funds into the clubs coffers it just delays when you get the refund.

Lots of people are saying they will support the club by buying a season ticket as soon as made available even though unclear when we can go to HP again. That is great and will help cash flow but it does not generate additional funds to the club if all it is doing is bringing normal club income forward.

What is needed is EXTRA income to the club that would not have arisen in the normal course of events and which brings minimal cost to the club.

In its purest form thatā€™s ā€œdonationsā€ which Iā€™m sure would be gratefully received.
If not then buy something from the club shop you wouldnā€™t usually buy from there.

Any other ideas?

But this is not the time for wanting something back that costs - discounts etc- this is the time for financially supporting the club so that what we get back is Argyle still being there.

Is it right to expect Simon Hallett to do it all on his own?

Apr 1, 2009
I don't think it should be up to Simon Hallett on his own. However, I do think that it should be done as a unified effort in conjunction with Simon Hallett. Our owner is aware that many fans want to help, it should be up to him when that help is called in.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
There is already a well established fund raising scheme in existence.
THE BIG GREEN LOTTERY.
https://paymymembership.co.uk/plymouth/
I understand that there are already about 600 supporters contributing Ā£9.75 a month to raise funds for the Argyle Academy.
At the annual cost of Ā£117 there is the opportunity to win up to Ā£500 in the weekly rollover draw, Ā£500 in the monthly draw, a monthly ā€˜money canā€™t buyā€™ prize (normally an enticing hospitality package for 2) and, of course, the annual Ā£12k draw that was won in 2019 by a Pasoti-ite. There are also superstore discounts and ticket priorities for members.
I know that the clubā€™s ambition was to increase membership to 1,000 and an additional 400 members would increase income by Ā£46,800 with minimal extra cost to the club.
Just a thought.

Apr 15, 2020
If games are going to be behind closed doors, I think a HT iFollow raffle would bring in a small income.

... as long as the prize wasnā€™t a years supplies of Ginsters

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
GreenSkittle":1fov3rar said:
If games are going to be behind closed doors, I think a HT iFollow raffle would bring in a small income.

... as long as the prize wasnā€™t a years supplies of Ginsters

Yeah, it what if the second prize was a years supply of Dudney's. Which would you want then? :coat: Better not go there again! :whistle: