The ‘and’ quiz question | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

The ‘and’ quiz question

Can you construct a sentence which legitimately contains the word ‘and’ six times in succession. It has to be sensible and plausible. So, for example you can’t say “a man walked up to me and said ‘and, and, and etc’, because this is extremely unlikely. It has to work both grammatically and in common sense terms.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
A chap on Pasoti asked a question about using the word 'and' six times and not use the word like 'and and and and and and' and I said it was possible despite being told it was and I set out to prove that it and I went about it by saying and is a word and it would possible to use it in such a way and I could prove it. :wtf:

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
I can manage 5 ands in a row, but not 6.

Mr And and his son were setting up a shop and asked a painter to do the sign for them. When they got there, they found that he had painted “AndandSon”. Mr And rang him. “There needs to be spaces on the sign between And and and and and and Son” he said.

Will that do? :)

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Martin_Brock":2ojhrp5h said:
Mr And and his son were setting up a shop and asked a painter to do the sign for them. When they got there, they found that he had painted “AndandSon”. Mr And rang him. “There needs to be spaces on the sign between And and and and and and Son” he said.

That was sort of my answer, but I used Smith and Jones, hence 5 ands, not 6.

GreenThing":1iq16ren said:
Martin_Brock":1iq16ren said:

That was sort of my answer, but I used Smith and Jones, hence 5 ands, not 6.

Very good, and close to the answer my daughter (an English teacher) uses. A publican at the coach and horses has a new sign printed. He’s disappointed and tells the sign writer it’s all too tight. He says “the gap between coach and and, and and and horses is too small”. Many apologies, I said six and it’s actually five. Can’t count. I like your answer IJN.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
If you wanted to get silly with it, Mr And could go into business with his two sons, And, And and And.

The spacing between And and And and And and and and and and And should be bigger. That’s 11. :)