1966 and all that | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

1966 and all that

May 22, 2006
Football didn’t become as mainstream as it is today until Gazza’s tears at Italia 90.

When the 66 World Cup Final was played, I was in the crowds at Drake Fair in the dockyard.

It did have an impact though and by 1967, as a six year old, I was very aware that England were the best in the world and had won the World Cup - indeed there was only one World Cup in the world of sport - and started regular visits to Home Park to support Argyle.

Jun 27, 2019
I watched the Bobby Moore documentary the other day. Such a tragedy how our only World Cup-winning captain was allowed to wither on the vine to the point that he wasn't even given free West Ham tickets. He has received the kind of adulation and reverence in death that he should have been given in life.

It should be a cause of eternal shame for West Ham and the FA.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
I can still remember watching that game on TV in black and white no colour TV back then, one thing that sticks out in my mind of the many things I remember of that fantastic game was, with England under pressure with a slender 3-2 lead it was the last minute of the game Bobby Moore had the ball in the 18 yard box, most players would have kicked it in to row Z, not Bobby he looked up saw Geof Hurst in tons of space who went on to score his hat trick goal, that gave Kenneth Wolstenholme the chance to say “they think it is all over it is now”.

Jun 27, 2019
A controversial view perhaps, but there is no way the whole of the ball was over the whole of the line. I've seen it so many times and I just can't convince myself it was in (not that I'd ever admit that to a German or Scot!).

BUT... Germany's late equaliser contained more than a slight hint of handball so it's all swings and roundabouts.

And Argentina basically bribed refs and fixed matches to win the WC in 78 so we've got nothing on them.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
We'd have won again in 1970 if it wasn't for a certain goalkeeper. Never forgive - never forget.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
pastiesforlife":2klgqjx2 said:
Football didn’t become as mainstream as it is today until Gazza’s tears at Italia 90.

When the 66 World Cup Final was played, I was in the crowds at Drake Fair in the dockyard.

It did have an impact though and by 1967, as a six year old, I was very aware that England were the best in the world and had won the World Cup - indeed there was only one World Cup in the world of sport - and started regular visits to Home Park to support Argyle.
For sure footy wasn't the juggernaut that it is today, but the 1966 World Cup Final still holds the all-time record for a UK TV audience - 32.3 million - and at a time when the only way to watch anything was live (no catch-up or online figures to add later) and when the population was significantly lower than it is today.

In fact, when you think that the UK TV audience was 32.3 million, that the population of England was about 42 million in 1966, and that very few people in the UK outside England would have watched it (we have to assume!), that viewership figure represents about 75% of the entire population of England: in other words, pretty much every single person capable of sitting in front of a telly - including me!

Listened to a great interview a few years ago with Jack Charlton. He said that after a post match team drinking session he found himself on the central line with the World Cup in his arms travelling to a fan’s party in Leytonstone. He woke up next morning on their sofa, couldn’t find the cup. Very hungover he walked into the back garden where he met a next door neighbour who had looked after the cup for him. By quite a co-incidence the neighbour hailed from the next door village where Jack was born in Durham.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
WoodsyGreen":v9lxbx2n said:
A controversial view perhaps, but there is no way the whole of the ball was over the whole of the line. I've seen it so many times and I just can't convince myself it was in (not that I'd ever admit that to a German or Scot!).
Oh, I don't think that's controversial. Everybody knows it went only half way over the line!

Jun 27, 2019
MickyD":o3v5vx4i said:
WoodsyGreen":o3v5vx4i said:
Oh, I don't think that's controversial. Everybody knows it went only half way over the line!

The one thing that has always given me pause for thought is that Martin Peters was right there and could have easily put the rebound away to remove all doubt, but instead wheeled away in celebration.

Either he had really bad eyesight or the ball was over the line.

Bernie Bernbaum

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 29, 2015
Actually it was Roger Hunt. And he must have had bad eyesight.

As for 1970, taking Charlton off had as much influence on the result as Bonetti's goalkeeping.

Jun 27, 2019
Bernie Bernbaum":1vy2iitm said:
Actually it was Roger Hunt. And he must have had bad eyesight.

As for 1970, taking Charlton off had as much influence on the result as Bonetti's goalkeeping.

Thanks for the correction, of course it was Roger Hunt :thumbup: