Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Listening now, waiting for the question 'would you ever come back to the north west?' and how he answers it :shifty:

Jan 11, 2017
Good talker about his times up North and mentioned 1400 players out of contract in the EFL.Come on Ryan go for championship players and make a ‘cheeky’ pay offer

Jul 12, 2016
Cobalt 60":1nbzwbnb said:
Good talker about his times up North and mentioned 1400 players out of contract in the EFL.Come on Ryan go for championship players and make a ‘cheeky’ pay offer
Any offer for Championship players is pie in the sky.We like a lot of other clubs will be looking in the bargain basement.
As SH has already warned we will be looking to cut costs so I will settle for survival in the short term.

Aug 5, 2016
oldage":31exf1v0 said:
Cobalt 60":31exf1v0 said:
Any offer for Championship players is pie in the sky.We like a lot of other clubs will be looking in the bargain basement.
As SH has already warned we will be looking to cut costs so I will settle for survival in the short term.

I think the point is that a lot of good players are out of contract. Rather than break the bank or commit our budget to keep our current ones (e.g. Sarcevic), wait to see if we can snag any desperate waifs and strays tumbling down from the Championship. As the post says, make some 'cheeky' contract offers, you never know who might say yes when the agent isn't ringing with any offers, and there is plenty of financial uncertainty among clubs and players. The players want to know if they will be getting paid this summer and winter - if not, and there isn't enough professional contracts for all of them, things are going to look bleak for a lot of talented footballers without an employer lined up. Players just might take a low offer with some contractual certainty before the competition heats up.

Having watched the Chicago Bulls documentary recently it was precisely the dilemma Scottie Pippen faced. He signed a long term deal to bring financial security to his family while he was relatively unproven, but he increased phenomenally in stature as a player relative to the terms he signed as a young professional.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
i think many clubs outside the ghastly premier league will work on producing their own talent.this must be the way forward for clubs like us in my opinion,we need people who want to be here rather than how much will you pay me.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Steve Evans":3vnn86z5 said:
i think many clubs outside the ghastly premier league will work on producing their own talent.this must be the way forward for clubs like us in my opinion,we need people who want to be here rather than how much will you pay me.

With ALL clubs struggling at all levels the cascade of youth and squad players from the Premiership and Championship will mean that there will be a reservoir of talent knocking around over the next couple of seasons (for the clubs that survive). Our youth players, more than ever, will struggle to find places. For the clubs who have survived on selling a player or 2 every season this is another nail in the coffin.

German Shepherd

🚑 Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
Could Argyle play amatuers for the time being ? If so, I'd be happy to play for nothing (maybe a free pasty). Might be a bit of a struggle with my dodgey back but I'd give it a go. 57 is no age is it ?

Bovey Green lady

🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
German Shepherd":q0wtcc23 said:
Could Argyle play amatuers for the time being ? If so, I'd be happy to play for nothing (maybe a free pasty). Might be a bit of a struggle with my dodgey back but I'd give it a go. 57 is no age is it ?
I do actually remember a time when Argyle played an amateur in the first team. In 1955/1956 Charlie Twissell played on the wing. He was serving in the Royal Navy at the time. If I remember rightly he was a member of the GB football team at the 1956 Olympic games. So, German Shepherd, there is a precedent. All you need is a little bit of fitness training(for a start!) and your chance awaits!

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Bovey-Green lady":2cfcl6ib said:
German Shepherd":2cfcl6ib said:
I do actually remember a time when Argyle played an amateur in the first team. In 1955/1956 Charlie Twissell played on the wing. He was serving in the Royal Navy at the time. If I remember rightly he was a member of the GB football team at the 1956 Olympic games. So, German Shepherd, there is a precedent. All you need is a little bit of fitness training(for a start!) and your chance awaits!

You are correct with regard to Charlie Twissell. He was an England Amateur International player, whilst with Argyle. I am not absolutely sure about his Olympic appearance though. Were they held in Australia or Rome?

Aug 5, 2005
Quintrell_Green":2hkv7s9c said:
Bovey-Green lady":2hkv7s9c said:
German Shepherd":2hkv7s9c said:

You are correct with regard to Charlie Twissell. He was an England Amateur International player, whilst with Argyle. I am not absolutely sure about his Olympic appearance though. Were they held in Australia or Rome?

Yep. Charlie Twissell played for Great Britain at the 1956 Olympic Games whilst an Argyle player.

He scored the first two goals in the 9-0 first round victory against Thailand at the Melbourne Cricket Ground. GB lost in the next round (quarter-finals) 6-1 to Bulgaria. The gold went to the Soviet Union, who beat Yugoslavia 1-0 in the final.

Charlie signed for Argyle as an amateur in 1955, and turned professional in 1957. He signed for York in 1958 and left in 1961 to work in insurance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associati ... at_Britain
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associati ... r_Olympics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Twissell

Feb 23, 2006
I recall a player called Keith Sanderson signed by Malcolm Allison in early 60s am sure he was an amateur for a short period on Argyles books before eventually turning professional ?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
In more recent times John Brimacombe (1986) and Bradley Swiggs (1984) went straight from amateur status into the Argyle first team.