15 L1 clubs to vote to end season | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

15 L1 clubs to vote to end season

OnicknowlePete

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 6, 2004
Plymouth
The question is if a majority vote gets acted upon, and league one ends like league two,
Pete

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Surely its a majority on this one?

15 of 23 is 65%, well above 50%.

I hate the Tranmere proposal, yes I know they're probably the worst outcome of all of this but what they're suggesting is just silly.

Southend and Bolton both deserve to go down, there has to be a 3rd and Tranmere are it as they're in that spot, or how about they play Wimbledon to determine the final spot, surely thats fairer than some convoluted play off system.

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
This is the Tranmere proposal to be voted on by the 71 EFL clubs next Tuesday.

"a) The league table is calculated using a simple PPG basis;
b) There is then applied to the table the statistical average actual margin for error over the last 3 years (being +6.3 or – 5.45%);
c) Teams in the automatic promotion spots even where the margin for error is applied, should be automatically promoted;
d) Teams in the play-off places or who could be in the play-off places where the margin for error is applied should be invited (but not compelled) to compete in a play-off tournament; and
e) There would either be no relegations, or relegations only of clubs who would be relegated even after the margin of error has been applied "

It would mean ONLY Coventry City and Swindon Town would be promoted from their respective Leagues. Funnily enough, Tranmere would stay up.

This contrivance of a proposal would mean Argyle and Crewe could end up in some sort of play-off. Assuming the Championship vote to play out their season then I believe it is down to Leagues 1 and 2 to vote by majority on the proposal, presumably on a League by League basis. Hopefully, it will not attract the necessary support.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Applying a margin of error based on results from a different season is completely unjust and if it’s “sporting integrity” they are seeking, it is devoid of any.

Why not count our results from 2003/04 while we’re at it?

Just make Tranmere play Wimbledon and Macclesfield play Stevenage. Loser goes down.

The alternative is, don’t be poo over 35 games.

German Shepherd

🚑 Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
Graham Clark":t82ol2kh said:

b) There is then applied to the table the statistical average actual margin for error over the last 3 years (being +6.3 or – 5.45%);
c) Teams in the automatic promotion spots even where the margin for error is applied, should be automatically promoted;
d) Teams in the play-off places or who could be in the play-off places where the margin for error is applied should be invited (but not compelled) to compete in a play-off tournament; and
e) There would either be no relegations, or relegations only of clubs who would be relegated even after the margin of error has been applied "

It would mean ONLY Coventry City and Swindon Town would be promoted from their respective Leagues. Funnily enough, Tranmere would stay up.

This contrivance of a proposal would mean Argyle and Crewe could end up in some sort of play-off. Assuming the Championship vote to play out their season then I believe it is down to Leagues 1 and 2 to vote by majority on the proposal, presumably on a League by League basis. Hopefully, it will not attract the necessary support.

That's not how I read it; teams in the auto places will still go up no matter what happens with the margin of error. The margin of error will be applied for the play-off places & in some circumstances relegation.

Jul 14, 2008
The self interest of some clubs is quite staggering. They should look to the example of the Port Vale owner who made a brave decision to support the PPG proposal despite the fact it would impact negatively on the outcome of their season.

Mar 1, 2008
I though EFL football was supposed to be above the self interested premier league. More pure, real, and honest.

You would struggle to think that looking at this.

Dec 3, 2005
I am HATING all this crap from the EFL and certain Clubs.

It is a SPORT, it is not 'oh we will try this way, because WE will be safe', it should be finalised in a sporting conclusion.
Using points per game (home and away) over 35 games, which most have played.
If Clubs want to contest the Play Offs then that is their decision, if not the 4th team go up.

For Clubs to contrive a prolonged system that guarantees THEIR own position, that in itself is NOT sporting.

Come on the EFL grow some BALLS!!

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
German Shepherd":6y5q7z10 said:
Graham Clark":6y5q7z10 said:

That's not how I read it; teams in the auto places will still go up no matter what happens with the margin of error. The margin of error will be applied for the play-off places & in some circumstances relegation.

I agree with your interpretation on the face of it. However, one informed commentator (EFL.Zone on Twiitter who is normally very reliable on EFL matters) has publicly stated that Rotherham who are currently second in L1 would be in the play offs if the Tranmere proposal wins through (It needs 36 votes 13 of which must be Championship clubs for the vote to go through).

Mark Palios, the Chairman of Tranmere who came up with the proposal is quoted as saying (for L2)

"Applying the margin for error outcome, two other clubs (Port Vale and Bradford) are included in a potential play off candidates, which results in a maximum of nine clubs eligible for play offs for the three promotion spots, as none of the top three clubs are sufficiently clear of fourth spot to be promoted automatically"

The contrivance is so complicated so even he doesn't know unless of course his originally stated proposal has been amended for the EFL vote to exclude the automatic promotion spots. What a mess! Transparency from the EFL - where is it? What are the clubs voting actually voting on and in what order?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Promotion and relegation places are supposed to be applied after every team has played each other twice and not with nine games still outstanding.

A simple solution would be to base the final table on the first half of the season, Only include the results of the fixture rounds where clubs played each other for the first time and abandon only the second half of the season. There would be a slight disparity in that half the clubs will have played one game less at home but in sporting terms it would be relatively even.

I have no idea how this would affect the standings because it isn't as simple as using the table as it was at 23 games.

It's just an idea but probably a bit late to throw into the ring at this stage.

Bryan Tregunna

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Sep 22, 2003
Lundan Cabbie":1op6obii said:
Promotion and relegation places are supposed to be applied after every team has played each other twice and not with nine games still outstanding.

A simple solution would be to base the final table on the first half of the season, Only include the results of the fixture rounds where clubs played each other for the first time and abandon only the second half of the season. There would be a slight disparity in that half the clubs will have played one game less at home but in sporting terms it would be relatively even.

I have no idea how this would affect the standings because it isn't as simple as using the table as it was at 23 games.

It's just an idea but probably a bit late to throw into the ring at this stage.

LC, you must have stamped on your green-tinted specs! It takes guts to offer a proposal that negatively affects your own team.
By my calculation, on the 'one game against' method, it means the Swindon, Exeter and Crewe are promoted and Argyle miss out on goals scored.