Lowe told to cut finances | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Lowe told to cut finances

Dec 17, 2005
Plymouth
Alan Nixon, reports in today’s Sunday Sun, that Ryan Lowe has been told to cut Argyles finances. There will be no rises for out of contract players and a pay freeze.

Oct 31, 2015
plymouthboyuk":2mqvvkfe said:
Alan Nixon, reports in today’s Sunday Sun, that Ryan Lowe has been told to cut Argyles finances. There will be no rises for out of contract players and a pay freeze.

I think most league 1/2 clubs will be the same tbh.

Not sure how Alan Nixon knows unless RL has told him :whistle:

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
rsp4":llowhpmm said:
plymouthboyuk":llowhpmm said:

I think most league 1/2 clubs will be the same tbh.

Not sure how Alan Nixon knows unless RL has told him :whistle:

I switched off at the words "Sunday Sun'.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Nixon doesn’t need to be ITK to post that. Simon Hallett as much as said the same thing himself in his statement the other day. So basically, Nixon's post is old news.

“Players must accept that tough times are ahead. Argyle has honoured all of its contracts and will continue to do so, but new contracts will look different from those in the past and will provide for as many different scenarios over the next year as possible.

It would be irresponsible and threaten the survival of the club if we were to promise to make payments to players (or anyone else) over a period when we simply do not know when you, our fans, can buy the tickets, the pasties, the drinks, the programmes, and the replica shirts that help to provide the money for those payments.

While there has been so much uncertainty, we have been reluctant to publish a retained list of out-of-contract playing staff to whom we would like to offer new contracts, but we will be doing so shortly. We owe it to our playing staff to give them some certainty in a world where so much is uncertain.

The club’s management and staff must continue to make sure that every penny is always spent wisely in ways that help to protect us from financial disaster and secure our continued existence – not only as an aspirational football club, but also an asset for the community. This injection is not for spending on items that would be nice to have in different circumstances. We must adapt to the world we are in, not be driven by the world for which we hope. We are all in this crisis together, and our spending must reflect that.”

I can’t imagine there’s a single sensible employee of any organisation anywhere in the UK who expects a pay rise shortly. Nearly everyone must surely be relieved at a pay freeze with the accompanying belief that their job was secure. So, a pretty stupid article.

Jun 27, 2019
plymouthboyuk":2gbxrrqc said:

Any player expecting a payrise in the current circumstances needs their head examined. Anyone getting a contract is extremely lucky and they should snap the club's arm off so long as it's not taking the p*ss.

Nov 2, 2004
I imagine someone like young Jephcott will be expecting a pay rise, he is probably on a rubbish contract.He's now a proper 1st team player and will expect to be payed like the rest

Jun 27, 2019
ealinggreen":r5ihhspi said:
I imagine someone like young Jephcott will be expecting a pay rise, he is probably on a rubbish contract.He's now a proper 1st team player and will expect to be payed like the rest

Well, yeah, there are obvious exceptions. I was referring to senior players.

Luke 100% deserves a payrise and in fact we should be going all out to secure him to a long-term deal.

Jul 12, 2016
If you give anybody a rise inconsistency starts to happen.
We are living in a tough world at the moment so if any of the players don't like what they are offered then time for them to move on. Argyle is more important than ANY individual and hopefully the pay freeze can be reviewed when the time is right.

May 8, 2011
Perhaps he read this part of the Chairman’s statement

‘We are already thinking about further ways to reduce our cost base to overcome the short-term difficulties’

Jan 27, 2012
It is going to be very difficult or Argyle to sign players under contract at other clubs such as Hardie or Cooper.

Even if the parent clubs were prepared to let these players leave on a free transfer (unlikely) then Argyle would have to at least match the contracts these players are already on- and would probably need to extend them by a year or two.

I don't think many League One or League Two clubs will be offering contracts on the same terms as they were before. Those players who are on pre-Covid contracts won't want to give them up.

Aug 5, 2016
oldage":1yth1n58 said:
If you give anybody a rise inconsistency starts to happen.
We are living in a tough world at the moment so if any of the players don't like what they are offered then time for them to move on. Argyle is more important than ANY individual and hopefully the pay freeze can be reviewed when the time is right.

Are you referring to Jephcott?

He is probably on 1/10th of what some of his teammates are on.

If you want him to move on, he wouldn't struggle to find better terms elsewhere, but why would we want him to do that?

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
this has to be the way.we are running out of cash and i am certain that sensible adults at football clubs,with exceptions like the ghastly greedy mezut ozil will have to accept lesser wages or a pay freeze.