The way football crowds may ultimately return | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The way football crowds may ultimately return

Like many of you I watched the head of the Oxford institute which appears closest to developing a vaccine being interviewed last week. Subject to continued world-wide testing, he felt that the chance of a successful vaccine being developed by September was 50:50. He appeared a cautious man, so he probably believes the real chances are slightly better. He went on to say that if successful, Astra Zeneca could have 100 million vaccines produced in the UK by next spring.

Lots of ifs and buts here, but it seems to me that if, co-incident with this development, we have the availability of 24 hour self testing, then it seems reasonable that stadiums could be filled by fans able to prove they have either received the vaccine, or can prove the result of a very recent negative test. Both these seem administratively simple, if time consuming in order to validate at the club.

Could be the way back. What do you think?

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
I think we still know way too little about the virus to speculate . We still don't know how long antibodies will protect against the virus. If this turns out to be only a few months then a vaccine, even if one were developed, would not be effective long-term. There are many different strains of the virus already and developing a vaccine to protect against all the variants may prove difficult, without even taking into effect future mutations.
On the other hand, antibodies may prove to have a very long lasting effect. The virus may also become less virulent over time.

So even if someone comes up with a vaccine there are so many other variables that we won't be able to then simply say "great - roll out the vaccine and we can all get back to normal". We may have to get used to simply keeping the virus down to "manageable" levels by maintaining certain distancing and hygiene practices while having "local lockdowns" when there's a localised flare up.

And the way we're going at the moment with so many people acting as if we've beaten the virus already, things are going to get a lot worse again before they get better ...

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
Alan-Frost":3kx2qskn said:
Maybe there will be aban on away fans until thing bet better.

Don't think that would help much, really, unless it's coupled with a huge reduction in home fans as well. I can't see any fans being allowed in to stadia until the new year at the earliest, unfortunately. Let's hope iFollow can take the strain!

Sep 6, 2006
mervyn":3n7hgwxn said:
Like many of you I watched the head of the Oxford institute which appears closest to developing a vaccine being interviewed last week. Subject to continued world-wide testing, he felt that the chance of a successful vaccine being developed by September was 50:50. He appeared a cautious man, so he probably believes the real chances are slightly better. He went on to say that if successful, Astra Zeneca could have 100 million vaccines produced in the UK by next spring.

Lots of ifs and buts here, but it seems to me that if, co-incident with this development, we have the availability of 24 hour self testing, then it seems reasonable that stadiums could be filled by fans able to prove they have either received the vaccine, or can prove the result of a very recent negative test. Both these seem administratively simple, if time consuming in order to validate at the club.

Could be the way back. What do you think?

Wouldnt read too much into that. Most scientist I hear talk about next year. If we are lucky. And as the r value is around 1 infection rates wont be coming down any time soon. The researchers talk up their chances to get more funding.

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
Unfortunately people get bored quickly and being under house arrest for something that isn't your fault will only be OK for so long.
Now we've had everyone jumping on this black man's death brigade and all of a sudden we will see the news that thousands are dying again.
There is no real solution to this, most people don't struggle with this virus, the unfortunate do... So how long do you stop normal happening?
People won't tolerate this lockdown too long, there is much to lose and families are being ruined let alone business and sport, we will have to live with it as we do the flu and move with the changes.