Luke Jephcott (signs - confirmed) | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Luke Jephcott (signs - confirmed)

Feb 4, 2020
His silence over signing a new contract is my biggest player concern at present.
Did Argyle offer him a new contract back in February time after he started scoring? If so, did he decline it?
If under contract he would be a highly valuable asset but, alas, fear he has offers from other clubs (Championship?). His emergence will not have gone unnoticed.
Tbh also surprised Grant, Canavan n Wootton not already signed up...but they are replaceable.

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
Hm, he feels a bit like another Tyler Harvey to me. Not sure if that's fair but I wouldn't say his signature is as critical as others.

Feb 2, 2005
Cornwall
Andy Maidenhead":2l3qgz7n said:
His silence over signing a new contract is my biggest player concern at present.
Did Argyle offer him a new contract back in February time after he started scoring? If so, did he decline it?
If under contract he would be a highly valuable asset but, alas, fear he has offers from other clubs (Championship?). His emergence will not have gone unnoticed.
Tbh also surprised Grant, Canavan n Wootton not already signed up...but they are replaceable.

Just because it hasn't been announced doesn't mean that the contracts haven't been agreed.

No need to panic!

twist of lime

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Feb 22, 2008
Herts
Ross":btzaakhc said:
Andy Maidenhead":btzaakhc said:

Just because it hasn't been announced doesn't mean that the contracts haven't been agreed.

No need to panic!

Agree with Ross (hopefully...)

The PR side at Argyle is a lot slicker and professional nowadays, would not be surprised to get contract renewal confirmations spread out between now and end of June to keep the profile high and raise clubs exposure and continue the "feel good" mood.....

Also helps to promote the club merchandise and shirt sales as news is announced.

Personally I feel Jephcott should think long and hard if thinking about leaving Argyle, as side from financial gain he needs game time which he is getting under Lowe

Not so easy when a junior squad member trying to break in to a new team at a higher level.....

COYG

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
vibratingspider":34p0p026 said:
Hm, he feels a bit like another Tyler Harvey to me. Not sure if that's fair but I wouldn't say his signature is as critical as others.

I'm surprised by that comparison, 7 goals in two months and now a first choice player with individual accolades. Beyond anything Tyler Harvey did at Argyle.

He reminds me a bit of Harry Kane or Thomas Muller, in that he doesn't seem particularly incredible at any aspect of the game, but does the right thing at the right time and is in the right places at the right time.

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
Biggs":yg6led90 said:
vibratingspider":yg6led90 said:

I'm surprised by that comparison, 7 goals in two months and now a first choice player with individual accolades. Beyond anything Tyler Harvey did at Argyle.

He reminds me a bit of Harry Kane or Thomas Muller, in that he doesn't seem particularly incredible at any aspect of the game, but does the right thing at the right time and is in the right places at the right time.
Yeah, I'd go along with your "right place at the right time" comparison certainly. I just don't feel like he's a huge threat in the games I've watched him. He doesn't seem to contribute hugely in the run of plan, but does seem to have a good sense of where to be at the right time. I don't know, I hope I'm proven wrong but I just don't see him being particularly potent in League One.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Biggs":z02t3jlb said:
vibratingspider":z02t3jlb said:

Seriously, after a handful of games in the basement of English football you are actually comparing Jephcott to established Superstars on football’s world stage.

How does he compare to the young Mariner, Rafferty, Tynan or Binney and a host of other Argyle forwards who had good careers, surely a more realistic comparison.

Also, and with all due respect to him, can we move on from constantly bringing poor old Tyler Harvey into the discussion.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Clearly not comparing him in terms of quality, just the very specific aspect of not appearing to excel at anything while being extremely effective.

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
demportdave":20fitr7c said:
How does he compare to the young Mariner, Rafferty, Tynan or Binney and a host of other Argyle forwards who had good careers, surely a more realistic comparison.

Also, and with all due respect to him, can we move on from constantly bringing poor old Tyler Harvey into the discussion.
So you're asking us to compare him with Argyle legends from 30 plus years ago but not Tyler Harvey, a guy who played for Argyle at exactly the same age and level five years ago? Alrighty then dave.

Jan 18, 2009
Bittaford
I know for a fact that Wigan have taken a look at Luke. I will be more upset if he leaves than Sarce as there is something about the wayne rooney in his size/stature/syle. If Ash Barnes made it in prom Luke will nail it

Mar 16, 2009
London
edmonds200":2kdwfuto said:
I know for a fact that Wigan have taken a look at Luke. I will be more upset if he leaves than Sarce as there is something about the wayne rooney in his size/stature/syle. If Ash Barnes made it in prom Luke will nail it

Not that I think he'll go, but what kind of money could we get for a highly rated out-of-contract 20 year old? £250K?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Luke is still very raw and learning his trade.

Difficult to find a better club than ours fit him right now. He’s got a real chance of becoming a regular starter and continue to develop under Lowe and Schuey.

He’d be mad to go anywhere else right now.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
vibratingspider":2agmzcbw said:
demportdave":2agmzcbw said:

So you're asking us to compare him with Argyle legends from 30 plus years ago but not Tyler Harvey, a guy who played for Argyle at exactly the same age and level five years ago? Alrighty then dave.

Removed by Site Admin and take a night off.

At this stage in Jephcott’s career it might be more appropriate to compare him with the young Mariner, or maybe the young Evans, rather than established world-class players.

Jephcott has already achieved more at Argyle than Tyler Harvey did so the comparison is not relevant. There are countless forwards who never made it at Argyle and they have been forgotten but for reasons which escape me, that is not the care with Harvey.

Perhaps I’m not too bright either, but I can’t understand the fixation with Tyler Harvey with certain posters. He may not be an Argyle playing legend but he is a PASOTI legend.

Jun 27, 2019
I liked Tyler but had to accept that in the end he just didn't have enough quality to make it in League football. Jephcott doesn't have the technical skills that Harvey did/does, but his positioning, movement, strength and finishing are far superior. He could do with an extra mph or two but Trigger wasn't quick and it didn't hold him back.

Let's see how Jephcott fares in League One before we get too excited, but what I would say is you won't find many 20-year-olds capable of scoring 1-in-2 - the gold standard of goalscoring. Be that League Two or the Premier League. It's incredibly impressive and suggests he has a bright future in the game.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Jephcott has not yet earned the right to be mentioned in the same breath as Mariner, Rafferty or Tynan, or even Evans for that matter. Mariner started his professional career with Argyle in the equivalent of L1 and quickly progressed up to the second flight into top flight and international football. If Jephcott sets the world on fire in L1 then maybe we can start thinking we have found a proper jem. For now, he’s a good prospect and he’s made a promising start.