Argyle Life Free Agents Series | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle Life Free Agents Series

Aug 28, 2015
argyle.life
Just wanted to share with you what we at Argyle Life have been up to over the past few days. With Argyle now clearly active in the transfer window, we've looked at free agents available in each position Lowe plays. We've completed three lists with ten options on each so far, with more to come in the coming days.

Any comments and opinions welcome. Appreciate some of them may have been signed up since we published, but hopefully there are plenty still good and available!

We started off with goalkeepers...

Top 10: Free Agents – Goalkeepers

In Luke McCormick and Mike Cooper, Argyle already have two goalkeepers heading into the 2020/21 campaign. That may seem like enough, but circumstances can change quickly. After all, the Greens went in to the 2018/19 season thinking Harry Burgoyne would be their first-choice custodian. If Argyle do decide to dip into the market, here are ten goalkeepers who will be available.

Aug 28, 2015
argyle.life
Then it was a look at the centre backs...

Top 10: Free Agents – Centre Backs

It’s widely accepted that, in some capacity, Argyle will have to improve their ranks at centre back this summer. Currently, Argyle’s first-choice back three includes Gary Sawyer, Niall Canavan and Scott Wootton. Even if that’s considered good enough for the start of the season, and that’s very debatable, depth will still be required. It’s a key position, and here are ten centre backs who are available for free.

Aug 28, 2015
argyle.life
And the final one of the three we've published thus far, defensive midfielders. Hope you enjoy!

Top 10: Free Agents – Defensive Midfielders

In Lowe’s system, the defensive midfield position can often be key. Whilst the Argyle manager loves to attack, the man sitting just behind the creative midfield players offers solidity in front of the back three, as well as a link to the attackers when playing out of the back. Despite that, with Joe Edwards seemingly preferred at wing back, there’s no obvious candidate in the squad at the moment to play a full season in the position. Here are ten free agents who could rectify that issue.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
GreenAdam17":34rlgkn2 said:

It’s widely accepted that, in some capacity, Argyle will have to improve their ranks at centre back this summer. Currently, Argyle’s first-choice back three includes Gary Sawyer, Niall Canavan and Scott Wootton. Even if that’s considered good enough for the start of the season, and that’s very debatable, depth will still be required. It’s a key position, and here are ten centre backs who are available for free.

Omar Beckles is the standout central defender in that list. He has done well on several occasions against Argyle.
I also remember Josh Emmanuel playing for Rotherham against when he was on loan there. He had an outstanding game as a full back rather than a central defender and I recall thinking that he would play at a higher level. I am surprised that his career has not progressed as I thought it would but he is only 22.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I am also surprised that there have not been many views on this thread. Click on the larger green text and there are some interesting suggestions.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
davie nine":1d689ag5 said:
GreenAdam17":1d689ag5 said:

Omar Beckles is the standout central defender in that list. He has done well on several occasions against Argyle.
I also remember Josh Emmanuel playing for Rotherham against when he was on loan there. He had an outstanding game as a full back rather than a central defender and I recall thinking that he would play at a higher level. I am surprised that his career has not progressed as I thought it would but he is only 22.

Signed for Hull.

Aug 28, 2015
argyle.life
Yeah I'd have really liked Emmanuel. Seems the sort of player who'd have been really good as one of the wider centre backs in Lowe's system. Alas.

Agree on Beckles too. There's certainly a reason Shrewsbury want to keep him.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Not too keen on the keepers and defensive midfielders, GA17.
Thanks for providing some options to consider, though.
I guess we’re just about done on attacking midfielders and strikers but I really do believe we could do with someone like Beckles, or similar, in central defence.

Aug 28, 2015
argyle.life
Yeah attacking midfielders we may well be done on, but you never know. We'll certainly present some options this week anyway. I'd be surprised if we didn't get a striker though - think Lowe said last week he'd still be very keen for another one there if the right option comes along.

Glad you're enjoying the series!

Aug 28, 2015
argyle.life
Thank you - glad you're enjoying!

We've also got the latest list sorted on the wide men...

Top 10: Free Agents – Wing Backs and Wingers

Recently, we emphasised the importance of the defensive midfield position in Ryan Lowe’s system, and how the player there can act as a vital link between defence and attack. The wingers, or wing backs if you’d prefer, have the same responsibilities. Given they are the only wide players in the formation, they hold the key on the flanks in both defence and attack. Here are ten wide men who are available.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Garbutt and Roberts are interesting suggestions. The right ages; 30’s and over ignored, although I would not be surprised if Nicky Maynard is the other striker that RL has hinted at.

Aug 28, 2015
argyle.life
Penultimate one for now is live...

Top 10: Free Agents – Attacking Midfielders

In Ryan Lowe’s system, the central and attacking midfielders act as the creative hub. In Danny Mayor, Panutche Camara and Conor Grant, Argyle have a very good base in those positions to work with, but you can never have too much creativity in the squad. Here are ten available players who could hold the key to Argyle’s attacking success this year.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
You have certainly done a lot of research in this area, GA17. Scott Fraser and Marcus Maddison would both seem to fit RL’s style of play.
Who needs a scout?