Jack Leslie Square: Update Updated | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Jack Leslie Square: Update Updated

Keith Whitfield

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 30, 2015
Just a quick update on the situation on the re-naming of that city centre square as Jack Leslie Square. The council wholeheartedly agreed to this in June and then posted a Renaming Notice under the Public Health Act, as it is required to do. This must be displayed for a month and objections can be lodged with the local Magistrates' Court within 21 days of its posting. Sadly, some objections were raised and they should be heard by the court later this week.

We live in hope!

COYG

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Keith_Whitfield":16kz0sdg said:
Just a quick update on the situation on the re-naming of that city centre square as Jack Leslie Square. The council wholeheartedly agreed to this in June and then posted a Renaming Notice under the Public Health Act, as it is required to do. This must be displayed for a month and objections can be lodged with the local Magistrates' Court within 21 days of its posting. Sadly, some objections were raised and they should be heard by the court later this week.

We live in hope!

COYG

Objections?? :think: :crazy:

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Pogleswoody":37ofrlwj said:
Keith_Whitfield":37ofrlwj said:

We live in hope!

COYG

Mr and Mrs J Hawkins of Ernesettle.

Keith Whitfield

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 30, 2015
Apparently 60 people filed objections but only a small number of these were deemed acceptable for consideration. A large number (including a "Bill Nicholson" incongruously) recommended the rugby player James Peters instead. This was regarded as not acceptable grounds for appeal. Those going forwarded have been told that they may have to pay the council's legal fees if they lose. Those appealling must show that there is a clear problem behind the reasoning for the original decision. The leader of the Conservative group on the council feels that discussion on the matter was stifled at the meeting when the decision was made.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Pogleswoody":rcdguzpk said:
Keith_Whitfield":rcdguzpk said:

We live in hope!

COYG

I despair... :facepalm:

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Quick glance at his Twitter ( :sick:) reveals this chap seems to spend half his time re-tweeting David Icke. And an unhealthy obsession with political correctness and other things starting with P... which may explain his previous crusade on renaming a Plymouth street.

And I'd love to know how a sportsman who spent 14 years in Plymouth, playing 400 times, captaining the side and scoring 137 goals for Plymouth Argyle... has 'nothing to do with the area'.

Jul 9, 2008
Plymouth
Sadly there would be no challenge if the council had followed due process, and surely we can do better than a 'nothing' square where no one lives? Nottingham has the right idea with Brian Clough Way....what about the road leading off Outland Rd to Home Park as Jack Leslie Way?.......

Apr 1, 2009
Biggs":1mcd4j4h said:
Quick glance at his Twitter ( :sick:) reveals this chap seems to spend half his time re-tweeting David Icke. And an unhealthy obsession with political correctness and other things starting with P... which may explain his previous crusade on renaming a Plymouth street.

And I'd love to know how a sportsman who spent 14 years in Plymouth, playing 400 times, captaining the side and scoring 137 goals for Plymouth Argyle... has 'nothing to do with the area'.

I think you're giving him far too much oxygen, Biggs. Attention is what people of his ilk desire and thrive on - starve him of it.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Agreed, and one of the many downsides of social media :thumbdown:

Jul 14, 2008
Duncan Rice":zxvufpbj said:
Sadly there would be no challenge if the council had followed due process, and surely we can do better than a 'nothing' square where no one lives? Nottingham has the right idea with Brian Clough Way....what about the road leading off Outland Rd to Home Park as Jack Leslie Way?.......

Or rename Outland Road as Jack Leslie Way. I agree that we could do a bit better than naming a fairly inconsequential square after Jack - the square could be renamed Mayflower Square instead which would tie in with the 2020 theme. I wouldn’t actually formally object to the current proposals though.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I actually think the square is quite a good place for the renaming.

1) it's a sheltered, reflective space which seems appropriate. And clutching at straws a tad maybe, but also contains an apparently excellent vegan restaurant so that fits with it being a 'progressive' (hate that word) little spot. I bet your man Danny is a regular there :greensmile:

2) I can't really think of anything Argyle related in the city centre, so anything that points people towards Home Park or makes them aware of the club, is a good thing.