Plymouth Live Comments Function | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Live Comments Function

Mar 11, 2018
I have noticed that Plymouth Live's comments function has been removed at present. I know that it had an issue in June, when “racist remarks” caused the Editor to remove "the comments function from several stories related to the Black Lives Matters protests" in June. I can't see any comments for any story on PL now.

No doubt this will cause distress for the small number of regular posters who constantly feel moved to offer the world their opinion on matters relating to Argyle ( loosely interpreted). I imagine that they will feel at a loose end and perhaps disoriented. Strangely, I've got used to their mostly predictable and often inane contributions. Do any PASOTI types know what is going on?

Topboy

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Oct 2, 2003
Plympton
No idea what's going on ref the comments but their inane and increasing use in both headlines and features of the words 'Hero', 'Heroic', 'Incredible', etc is really starting to infuriate me!!!

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Antipodean":2jaj3gr3 said:
I have noticed that Plymouth Live's comments function has been removed at present. I know that it had an issue in June, when “racist remarks” caused the Editor to remove "the comments function from several stories related to the Black Lives Matters protests" in June. I can't see any comments for any story on PL now.

No doubt this will cause distress for the small number of regular posters who constantly feel moved to offer the world their opinion on matters relating to Argyle ( loosely interpreted). I imagine that they will feel at a loose end and perhaps disoriented. Strangely, I've got used to their mostly predictable and often inane contributions. Do any PASOTI types know what is going on?
Possibly their way of directing traffic to their Plymouth Live Facebook page where readers can spend all day commenting.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Antipodean":1he6rg1v said:

You'll just have to use Pasoti to post your Argyle related comments. :)

The parent publishing group recently announced redundancies across it's regional websites and newspapers so perhaps it wasn't cost effective to employ someone to monitor and moderate the comments section and is far easier to let Facebook deal with the comments?

I find PL too negative towards the city of Plymouth. There's too many shock horror articles just for clickbait and stupid headlines to entice people in.
Plymouth deserves a better news service.
I would add that the Argyle articles are excellent and must be helping to keep PL and the printed Herald afloat.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Those comments are entertaining though. Literally ANY story about a new development in Plymouth, gets about 50 comments along the lines of 'waste of money'... 'eyesore'... 'why don't they spend it on homeless shelters'...'who needs another hotel'...'brown paper bags'... etc.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Keepitgreen":3bryrjsn said:
The Doctor":3bryrjsn said:
It’s shame - the comments are mostly really inane, offensive or highly politically charged but I WAS looking forward to reading the comments from Adam’s wife/girlfriend/mates about this story: https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/p ... ng-4415460
220 comments about it on the FB version of the story. :)

Naively, I didn't even realise that PL was on FB.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Best thing PL could do. The comments on that website are an embarrassment to all Plymothians.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
IJN":16j786iz said:
Best thing PL could do. The comments on that website are an embarrassment to all Plymothians.

True, but they can also be weirdly entertaining sometimes. But on balance I think they shouldn't have them.

Mar 11, 2018
You'll just have to use Pasoti to post your Argyle related comments. :)

The parent publishing group recently announced redundancies across it's regional websites and newspapers so perhaps it wasn't cost effective to employ someone to monitor and moderate the comments section and is far easier to let Facebook deal with the comments?

I find PL too negative towards the city of Plymouth. There's too many shock horror articles just for clickbait and stupid headlines to entice people in.
Plymouth deserves a better news service.
I would add that the Argyle articles are excellent and must be helping to keep PL and the printed Herald afloat.[/quote]

PL has never employed a moderator as far as I'm aware. When the racist postings happened, the Editor said, "We are a small team and we simply could not keep up with the volume of disgusting comments that were being posted ... Our journalists are working around the clock to moderate comments on all our platforms, but in the absence of more action from Facebook, we need your help".

So it comes down to the journalists to moderate the articles. Given how shorthanded they are, looks like they've given up. In which case PL should remove its non-functioning comments button alongside the subject of the article. Comments sections are legal minefields. I've lost count of how many times ex-Argyle owners - and a recent one in particular - have been defamed in PL comments. I can't remember racism being a problem for PL Argyle articles, but they have disabled the function for the whole website at present.

Jun 27, 2019
Reach announced a load of redundancies recently due to Covid, so moderating comment sections will definitely not be a priority any more - if it ever was.