EFL Trophy - Norwich up first (B team debate) | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

EFL Trophy - Norwich up first (B team debate)

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
I know, nobody's bothered about it.

Argyle will begin their EFL Trophy Southern Section Group F campaign with a home fixture against Norwich City on Tuesday, 8 September, kicking-off at 7.45pm.

Ryan Lowe's Greens will then head to Cheltenham Town for the penultimate group stage fixture on Tuesday, 6 October (7.45pm), before hosting Sky Bet League Two side Newport County at Home Park on Tuesday, 10 November, with a 7pm kick-off.

https://www.pafc.co.uk/news/2020/august ... -fixtures/

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I know it’s not everyone’s opinion but I hope we take this competition seriously as we’ve a genuine chance to win some silverware and have a chance to play at Wembley for a big pay day..

Jul 14, 2008
Winning that particular piece of silverware would mean nothing to me personally and I doubt I would bother going to Wembley to see it (if we were allowed). But the money would clearly be helpful, particularly this season.

Mar 22, 2020
How we can be grouped geographically with Norwich is amusing. Used to drive there regularly to work. Average travel time about 9 hours!! Surely it would make more sense to group teams for ease of travelling rather than by compass points. Do like Norwich though, sat with their home fans for an away match back in the championship days, nice city nice fans but what a drive to get there!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
With the lack of footie we've endured, perhaps if we can watch the games via the new streaming medium, it will be good to see it.

Never been into it before, but now it could be fun to watch it.

As you say it's a stupid cup thingy but if it means we can watch our new players fitting in.................

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
IJN":29qygjca said:
With the lack of footie we've endured, perhaps if we can watch the games via the new streaming medium, it will be good to see it.

Never been into it before, but now it could be fun to watch it.

As you say it's a stupid cup thingy but if it means we can watch our new players fitting in.................

I sympathise with this, but still absolutely not for me. The principle of B teams remains the same, whether we've had football for 6 months or not.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
SwimWithTheTide":7aa7ntgg said:
And the B teams argument rears its ugly head again :facepalm:

Yep. It's been raised again today and there's a danger the Premier League clubs will force it through during the current negotiations to financially bail out the EFL clubs.
The EFL Trophy was just a precursor of B teams, we had to play Norwich City kids for flip sake! How insulting that our first team had to play the kids of a team who were just relegated from the Premier League!

The vice-chairman of Tranmere Rovers sums it up nicely

Jun 27, 2019
Mark_Colling":l642nb2k said:
SwimWithTheTide":l642nb2k said:
I can't believe that; after so many people said we were paranoid and that it could never happen ...

Has it happened? No. Does it even look likely to happen? No.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
WoodsyGreen":2g9p1cqn said:
Mark_Colling":2g9p1cqn said:
SwimWithTheTide":2g9p1cqn said:
I can't believe that; after so many people said we were paranoid and that it could never happen ...

Has it happened? No. Does it even look likely to happen? No.

I mean they're alluding to using the bailout as blackmail to push this through. There's always got to be an agenda, sadly. :thumbdown:

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I do not think it is in the interests at this moment of EFL clubs to 'bite the hand' of feeding Premiership teams. Once this Covid issue is over, the EFL can say 'thanks a lot' and move on to the next season without B team involvement. I am sure it can be negotiated with compromises on both sides.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It all depends on if or when the financial bail out from the Premier League arrives or how many League One and Two clubs go bust.
If five or six clubs go bust some PL clubs will have a B team ready to take their place and keep the bottom two leagues at 48 teams.

I reckon there's about 12 teams in the PL who were our equals not so long ago, how insulting to us to have to play the B teams of Burnley or Sheffield United etc.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
100% Posty. Its all about timing.

14 of the current 20 Premier League sides have been outside of the top flight in relatively recent times.

Had this been a discussion when Leicester or Man City were residing in the 3rd tier, I'd wonder how their fans would be feeling?

All but 2 players who featured for England last night developed their game in the football league (some lower).