Calvin Miller no longer training with Argyle

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Ottawa Green":20jqtzsk said:
@ChrisErrington1
·
2m
Calvin Miller is no longer training with Argyle but discussions are ongoing over a possible move to the League One club for him

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/ ... in-4475017
... but this may also be an indication that something could be happening with Cooper, perhaps a season-long loan?

Cooper is a good player but in the current environment with so many free agents looking for a club, it’s very hard to see any League 1 or League 2 club paying the sort of money that Peterborough supposedly want, particularly for someone who is so obviously not wanted there.

Peterborough have made a lot of money in the transfer market by developing and selling players on, but that is not going to be the case with Cooper. They could be stuck with a relatively high earner (for League 1) for another 12 months as he sees his contract out before leaving for nothing.

Time for them to be pragmatic, cut their losses and free up some wages under the salary cap.

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
demportdave":3qmgyprh said:
Cooper is a good player but in the current environment with so many free agents looking for a club, it’s very hard to see any League 1 or League 2 club paying the sort of money that Peterborough supposedly want, particularly for someone who is so obviously not wanted there.

Peterborough have made a lot of money in the transfer market by developing and selling players on, but that is not going to be the case with Cooper. They could be stuck with a relatively high earner (for League 1) for another 12 months as he sees his contract out before leaving for nothing.

Time for them to be pragmatic, cut their losses and free up some wages under the salary cap.

Hmmmm. Or perhaps we should be pragmatic and give up on the idea that others should give up valuable contracted players for nothing simply because it suits the recipient.

Would we be happy if it was one of our own contracted players?

Sure, haggle, but if we expect something of value for nothing then we will have to settle for those that others see as valueless (or find free agents)

Aug 5, 2016
Peterborough clearly don't want Cooper for whatever reason.

They barely used him at all last season, and this season he hasn't been named in their squad.

Why would we be offering big bucks knowing that?

If Peterborough don't come to a deal with Argyle, or any other club, then they will be paying his wages for a season where he won't be even in a position to warm the bench. Would that be good business for them?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Knibbsworth":3m8r2pzg said:
Peterborough clearly don't want Cooper for whatever reason.

They barely used him at all last season, and this season he hasn't been named in their squad.

Why would we be offering big bucks knowing that?

If Peterborough don't come to a deal with Argyle, or any other club, then they will be paying his wages for a season where he won't be even in a position to warm the bench. Would that be good business for them?

I’d like to think Argyle have said this is our offer to take him on loan for this season, the offer will expire on the ....

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
There’s, obviously, no large queue of clubs trying to sign Cooper, so, call their bluff until he is available to sign rather than loan. They don’t want him on their wage bill and he would probably like to come here if given a choice of clubs.
Get him free with, perhaps, a percentage ‘sell on’ clause.

Jan 2, 2006
davie nine":1i03lldq said:
There’s, obviously, no large queue of clubs trying to sign Cooper, so, call their bluff until he is available to sign rather than loan. They don’t want him on their wage bill and he would probably like to come here if given a choice of clubs.

Swindon and others are “interested” but probably not interested in paying a fee

Nov 2, 2004
I will be a bit disappointed if we cannot come to an agreement with miller, He looked very useful to me.

Aug 5, 2016
ealinggreen":nvkr7lrw said:
I will be a bit disappointed if we cannot come to an agreement with miller, He looked very useful to me.

Miller is rapid but can't cross well, and won't be chipping in with goals.

Whereas Cooper isn't great defensively but is a playmaker who can shoot, cross and create.

We signed the right player in my opinion.

Mar 16, 2009
London
Knibbsworth":qp91orb3 said:
ealinggreen":qp91orb3 said:

Miller is rapid but can't cross well, and won't be chipping in with goals.

Whereas Cooper isn't great defensively but is a playmaker who can shoot, cross and create.

We signed the right player in my opinion.

On the contrary, the balls Miller plays into the box are one of his strengths. Definitely of a high calibre. Hopefully he will also sign as he’s a great prospect and can play on either side.

Jul 12, 2016
We can't keep signing players for the sake of it. I am pleasantly shocked that we paid a fee for Cooper but would have preferred it if we had signed Hardie on a permanent deal.

Nov 2, 2004
Surely we still need a left wingback? I just cannot see Cooper playing the whole season in that role . He has no defensive qualities at all.

Mar 14, 2009
oldage":bpaemvi4 said:
We can't keep signing players for the sake of it. I am pleasantly shocked that we paid a fee for Cooper but would have preferred it if we had signed Hardie on a permanent deal.

If we signed Miller l guess it’s with the intention of playing at LWB.

I thinking if he signs though one or two more of the youngsters would need to go out on loan.

Mar 16, 2009
London
oldage":1tmgpoef said:

No, but there's still a place in the squad for a left wing back, effectively a McFadzean replacement. What's useful about Miller, alongside his pedigree and potential, is he can switch sides effectively.

We don't know where Cooper will be deployed, but it'd be great to see him fulfil the role Grant played on Saturday. We know he can do a job at LWB if needed too.

Be good to see Miller sign imo and then Ryan Law can hopefully get some experience out on loan somewhere.