If the mighty Argyle made it to the Championship | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

If the mighty Argyle made it to the Championship

Aug 22, 2020
If argyle made it to the championship in the next couple of seasons do you think we would have a full capacity stadium week in week out, I find it hard to believe we will get 7/8,000 fans extra each week, it will be very interesting to see what the attendance will be like once we are all allowed back through the gates.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Depends on how well we do.

Last time crowds of 18,000 dropped towards 12,000 iIRC (without checking GoS).

In theory an Argyle team doing reasonably well in the Championship would be almost filling the home sections, and the away teams would probably bring more fans too.

For one season we'd be near capacity every home game. Then the Plymouth public would start losing interest unless we have a sustained run near the top of the league..

I've seen that happen in the late 80's/early 90's and then in the late noughties.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Yep, the Janner apathy would kick in again after the initial excitement wears off.

May 11, 2019
History shows we are well supported for the first season or two and then the novelty wears off, I think the finances would be more of an issue as even with sellout crowds we couldn’t compete without a generous benefactor?

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
I think we averaged about 16,500 in the first season back. It was only hard to get tickets for the big games but even then, not too hard. The ground we have fits the support we have. It did drop of a lot. By the final season in the Championship it was back to the 11k sort of mark I think. And remover a much bigger chunk of those numbers were away fans. Wolves sold out the Barn Park etc.

Aug 22, 2020
I couldn’t understand why anybody wouldn’t want to go to argyle on a Saturday afternoon, what is better to do in Plymouth. Why are we any different to a club like Pompey, I have family in Portsmouth and when I go up I will ask them to get me a ticket for a match and every time they struggle to find me a ticket.

Jul 14, 2008
I actually think that fans, including more casual fans, are starting to buy into what the club are doing under Simon Hallett. He has made it clear that this isn’t the same old Argyle, and with the investment in the Grandstand etc I think people can start to believe that. We are already better supported than we were just a few years ago. The average attendance when we went up under Derek Adams was 9,600. Last season it was 10,300, but with the games remaining including Exeter, that would have ended up being over 11,000.

I think if we make it back up to the Championship our support would drop off a lot less than it did last time because there is more to buy into this time around. There is greater belief that this club is worth supporting.

Aug 22, 2020
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/plymout ... erein/2262

Very interesting

Last season only playing 17 home matches we had 172544 people through the gates, if we Averaged 10,000 fans for the 6 remanding games of the season we would of had 232,544, that’s only 6900 less than are very good seasons under DA in league one when we had vyner & co, forget to mention we still had Exeter at home this season. For league two football I think we had a good support let’s hope when they open the doors people aren’t scared to come in, need Ryan Lowe to work his magic words, would be great to see 15,000/16,000 week in week out, I maybe dreaming

Sep 3, 2009
Herts_Green":2yobg1bz said:
I actually think that fans, including more casual fans, are starting to buy into what the club are doing under Simon Hallett. He has made it clear that this isn’t the same old Argyle, and with the investment in the Grandstand etc I think people can start to believe that. We are already better supported than we were just a few years ago. The average attendance when we went up under Derek Adams was 9,600. Last season it was 10,300, but with the games remaining including Exeter, that would have ended up being over 11,000.

I think if we make it back up to the Championship our support would drop off a lot less than it did last time because there is more to buy into this time around. There is greater belief that this club is worth supporting.

Leaning toward this view.

Currently, it feels like the club (as opposed to the team itself) has a better momentum than the Dave Smith or Sturrock Mk1 years. Back then, the teams were great but even when doing well it felt like time would catch up and we would fall back.

This time, it appears more solid foundations are being put in place.

Of course, it will be extremely tough to get to the Championship, let alone stay there - but if we do, I reckon the interest could stick. Our core seems to have grown in recent years, despite some desperate campaigns at times.

May 16, 2016
Obviously the mindset should be if Argyle made it "back" to the Championship ?

I agree with other comments that we'd get a large initial attendance as we play teams for the first Season then after the novelty wore off and life presumably became more about staying up over anything grander, attendance would drift off again.

The journey up the leagues is often better than the destination. As much as we like to consider ourselves a large club, we are only when relative to other lower league opponents. Plymouth is a bit of a 'sing when your winning' type of City.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Jakepafc":qfzviybp said:
I couldn’t understand why anybody wouldn’t want to go to argyle on a Saturday afternoon, what is better to do in Plymouth. Why are we any different to a club like Pompey, I have family in Portsmouth and when I go up I will ask them to get me a ticket for a match and every time they struggle to find me a ticket.

Having worked with a lot of Pompey fans I understand the reason for their large crowds.

When Pompey made it to the Premiership everybody wanted to go to Fratton to see the big teams. The current capacity is somewhere around 21,000 and it was smaller then. Tickets became very difficult to obtain and there was a waiting list for season tickets. There was no chance of pay-on-the-day. One of my workmates had a quarter share in a season ticket and saw one match in four.
When they dropped out of the Prem, the demand dropped off, and those who had struggled to get tickets bought season tickets as soon as they could. (Anticipating a return to the Prem) My colleague and his three friends all ended up with their own season ticket. The Pompey crowd had realised that the only way to guarantee a seat in the Prem was to keep buying their season ticket. Even in League 2 this mindset continued and they were getting 16-18,000 gates. I know a lot of Pompey fans who automatically buy their season ticket as soon as they can - it is now ingrained in their mindset and the next generation has learned that.

Contrast that with Argyle where even recently we were getting moans that leaving The Brit at 14:50 no longer meant you could be in your place before kickoff. If we ever get to the position where ticket demand exceeds supply then maybe the Janner crowd will get the message and our base crowd will grow as people buy season tickets to ensure they can get in. Here's hoping!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Jakepafc":18n11ihq said:
I couldn’t understand why anybody wouldn’t want to go to argyle on a Saturday afternoon, what is better to do in Plymouth.

Pre-2020 I would totally understand someone deciding to take their kids to Dartmoor, on a ferry to Cornwall, to the IMAX, to the aquarium etc etc etc. Instead of League 2 football surrounded by rotting concrete and weeds.

But really think the new environment of Home Park helps. There is a big difference in someone (especially families) coming to see football despite the sh*t facilities, and coming because it looks like great football and a great place to be. It's also symbolic that this isn't the 'same old Argyle' as mentioned above.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The last time time we were in the Championship the home average attendances shot up before dropping, steadying for a few seasons and then dropping again.
Towards the end the Plymouth public took playing against the big clubs for granted and drifted away plus they could see we didn't have the financial muscle to get promoted to the Premier League.

Our average attendance last season in League Two is higher than our last season in the Championship.

2004-2005: 16,419
2005-2006: 13,776
2006-2007: 13,011
2007-2008: 13,000
2008-2009: 11,533
2009-2010: 10,314

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
IJN":at46i9sn said:
Yep, the Janner apathy would kick in again after the initial excitement wears off.

Personally, I`m neither for nor against apathy Ian. :twisted: