Expectations for the season? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Expectations for the season?

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
Just interested to see what people's expectations are for the season. Personally I have a real good feeling about where the club is heading. Key reasons are well documented on this site by many on here such as the quality of the club's leadership, the communication, transparency, brand of football, youth been given a chance, fan engagement and the sheer entertainment value.

I even loved the fact that so many youth players have been given a chance in the game last night. I think realistically we are going to have a season of adjustment to becoming a good League One club. I am expecting and would be happy with in no particular order

1- Loads of goals and entertainment- lots of 3-2 and 2-2 games possibly the odd thrashing for us and against us. I think the bet of 3.5 goals or more on a game could yield good results.

2 - Development of youth - See Cooper, Randall, Camara, maybe even a couple of others (Law?, Tomlinson? Lolos?) develop into quality first team players. I expect mistakes from them but will be supporting these guys with potential.Would be great if we unearth 1 or 2 more Jephcotts along the way this season.

3 - Enjoy the here and now - Not worry about speculation - Sometimes as an Argyle fan I can find myself thinking to the future, the next season, the long terms and worry about what happens if our manager leaves, what players will be be here next season, will so and so be sold? etc. I think with everything going on in the world I am determined just to enjoy every minute of Argyle's football, the highs and lows.

Clearly we have a really bright, talented young management team that will attract attention if they do well and at some point go on to do things after Argyle. I imagine they will make mistakes, like all managers do at some point, but I think while they are our management team, I'm just up for enjoying their brand of football, their connection with the fans and positive attacking intent.

Cannot wait for the season to kick off.

Mar 14, 2009
For me l feel the season rests on our evolution, defensively.

Last two games, we been troubled by playing a high defensive line with defenders who simply don’t have the recovery pace. Prime example was Norwich’s 2nd goal tonight. Positionally, Sawyer looked in a good place. However, he is so slow now that the Norwich forward strode past him with ease.

I understand that given our style, teams will create chances. However, it’s the ease of these chances that concerns me. I just don’t think Wootton, Canavan and Sawyer can play in a back 3 with a high line. So as the season unfolds if for example Sawyer has played a majority of games this season I feel something will have gone very badly wrong.

I also don’t think the 3 mentioned above are good at defending. In one on one situations they are beaten with ease when you run at them.

Going forward lm very excited about the team. Lots of options and looking very much forward to seeing how the team develops. Hopefully we will continue to create chances and score lots of goals. There is creativity in the team that l hadn’t seen in an Argyle squad for years. I’ve loved watching our first two games because of the good performances from a variety of squad members.

I honestly just feel at present we look good but as the first two games have shown it’s no good giving away cheap goals because it will make it difficult to win matches.

Mar 21, 2006
Metal_Green_Mickey":3rwkm2cz said:

Last two games, we been troubled by playing a high defensive line with defenders who simply don’t have the recovery pace. Prime example was Norwich’s 2nd goal tonight. Positionally, Sawyer looked in a good place. However, he is so slow now that the Norwich forward strode past him with ease.

I understand that given our style, teams will create chances. However, it’s the ease of these chances that concerns me. I just don’t think Wootton, Canavan and Sawyer can play in a back 3 with a high line. So as the season unfolds if for example Sawyer has played a majority of games this season I feel something will have gone very badly wrong.

I also don’t think the 3 mentioned above are good at defending. In one on one situations they are beaten with ease when you run at them.

Going forward lm very excited about the team. Lots of options and looking very much forward to seeing how the team develops. Hopefully we will continue to create chances and score lots of goals. There is creativity in the team that l hadn’t seen in an Argyle squad for years. I’ve loved watching our first two games because of the good performances from a variety of squad members.

I honestly just feel at present we look good but as the first two games have shown it’s no good giving away cheap goals because it will make it difficult to win matches.

I agree with this 100%. Excited about our forward options but worried about the defence. We need a Zak Vyner type - maybe even two - players who are good in the air and super quick on the deck. If not I fear we will be exposed like Norwich did. I hope that Aimson and Watts are quicker than Sawyer and Canavan - I haven’t seen enough to judge yet. Wootton worries me too but not just his pace.....

Feb 2, 2005
Cornwall
I'd like to see it out and finish on time.

Top half would suffice for me with there never being any real threat of relegation.

If we give the cups a bit of a go and go further than the regulation 2 rounds in each I would be quite happy with that.

I would quite like to be able to see one game this season at HP.

Outside of that I'm not overly concerned.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
silkman":2upkrcn1 said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":2upkrcn1 said:

I agree with this 100%. Excited about our forward options but worried about the defence. We need a Zak Vyner type - maybe even two - players who are good in the air and super quick on the deck. If not I fear we will be exposed like Norwich did. I hope that Aimson and Watts are quicker than Sawyer and Canavan - I haven’t seen enough to judge yet. Wootton worries me too but not just his pace.....

Silkman, I’m quicker that Wootton! Seriously though, Watts has pace and a fully fit Aimson will become a commanding defender. Confident that the back three from last season, will rarely feature together in league games. Hope so anyway.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Personally I think Wootton will really surprise a few this season, just as he did last season. I think this long break has made people forget just how good his performances were particularly toward the end of the season when he was bringing the ball out from the back and joining attacks as well as being solid defensively.

In general, I'm really looking forward to this season. We've recruited well, we've good good depth particularly in midfield. Bring it on.

Jun 27, 2019
There's a real echo for me of Sturrock's glorious first spell at the club. He imprinted a clear playing style on the club and signed square players to fill square holes. Off the pitch we had the redeveloped stadium, a five-year plan and a genuine sense that the club was in safe hands.

So with that in mind I'm hoping for a season similar to 2002-03, when we finished outside the playoffs in what was an encouraging season of consolidation. The following year we went up using the momentum we generated from the previous two campaigns, so fingers crossed we're on a similar path this time around.

All that said, I'd feel a lot more confident if we had a better defence. I don't have much faith at all in Wootton, Canavan and Sawyer at League One level, and just can't see us keeping enough clean sheets to trouble the upper echelons of the league. I'm also nervous about us relying on an untried keeper who might have all the talent in the world but still has almost zero league experience.

We shall see.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I really fancy us this season. So much so, I put £50 on promotion.

The last time I did that, was after the League Cup game at Watford in the 2000/2001 season. That worked out quite well. :greensmile:

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
I'm very positive for the season ahead.

Despite (on paper) looking like a very strong League 1 this year, the number of out and out basket cases, clubs in financial mire and rudderless ships i expect the well run, sound and solid clubs to do very well this year.

All will have bills to pay on reduced income, some will do well to survive, the inland revenue will be wanting alot of money in January (when deferred VAT payments are due) and i suspect they wont be as lax as recent years when things were often allowed to spiral out of control. There will be some very twitchy Chairmen, which in turn means nervous managers, we dont have that and for that reason alone, unless an absolute dream job becomes available i would expect Lowe to last the season with us.

We have a solid looking squad, if we can get through the first half dozen games with a points tally of 10 or more, i really do suspect we'll be fighting at the right end of the table and make a mockery of the current odds available.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
We’ve got goals in us. Thats alone will put us mid table.

Once we have consistency and understanding at the back I think we could achieve between mid table and playoffs.

I’d be far less surprised at us finishing too 3 than I would be finishing bottom 3.

Voice_of_Reason":2kiztcsi said:
I'm very positive for the season ahead.

Despite (on paper) looking like a very strong League 1 this year, the number of out and out basket cases, clubs in financial mire and rudderless ships i expect the well run, sound and solid clubs to do very well this year.

All will have bills to pay on reduced income, some will do well to survive, the inland revenue will be wanting alot of money in January (when deferred VAT payments are due) and i suspect they wont be as lax as recent years when things were often allowed to spiral out of control. There will be some very twitchy Chairmen, which in turn means nervous managers, we dont have that and for that reason alone, unless an absolute dream job becomes available i would expect Lowe to last the season with us.

We have a solid looking squad, if we can get through the first half dozen games with a points tally of 10 or more, i really do suspect we'll be fighting at the right end of the table and make a mockery of the

current odds available.

Your point about HMRC is very valid. They have been absolutely open and clear about their intent to prosecute and bring down a club which has reneged or delayed tax payments in order to persuade all the others that this is the consequence. With this intent I doubt there will be any leniency on their part because of the pandemic.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
My guess is plenty of goals, at both ends. Anything 12th or above will be decent. I can’t say I’m over excited though as my pleasure in Argyle is intricately linked to actually being at games, home and away. I’m not great as an armchair viewer. I want the passion as much as the football

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
IJN":9zv2mc0u said:
I really fancy us this season. So much so, I put £50 on promotion.

The last time I did that, was after the League Cup game at Watford in the 2000/2001 season. That worked out quite well. :greensmile:

What odds did you get Ian?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Sorry it was to win the league Owly!

uOmGtxR.jpg

Jun 11, 2012
I suppose my prediction on this is probably more conservative than the average fan's one. I've liked some of the recruitment, but we are likely to ship a lot of goals. Away from home in particular I don't think that our wing-backs and midfielders will give the defence enough protection - and that's a defence that already has obvious frailties. And it's of course a massive season for M.Cooper.

I also feel that - despite the aesthetically pleasing football from our midfield - goals won't be as free-flowing as people are suggesting. There are question marks regarding Hardie at this level - and even more so Jephcott, Telford and Nouble.

I can't see a fight against relegation, but around 13th/14th seems likely to me.