Defending Free Kicks in Addition to The Wall | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Defending Free Kicks in Addition to The Wall

Jan 31, 2006
So the general premise seems to be to set the goalkeeper just right or left of centre, leaving the wall to defend the larger open area of the goal.

Why not also put a defender on the line in the larger open area of the goal behind the goalie?

Princerock

ā™£ļø PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
dhsboy":8boldqs8 said:
So the general premise seems to be to set the goalkeeper just right or left of centre, leaving the wall to defend the larger open area of the goal.

Why not also put a defender on the line in the larger open area of the goal behind the goalie?

That might be the theory....but Cooper wasn't just right or left of centre, he was literally 4/5 ft from his left post he gave the womble a massive target to aim for, and as long as the kicker got it up and over the defenders and then got the ball to dip in time he was guaranteed a goal....he didn't need to just get it in the corner and risk hitting the post...because up to three quarters of the goal was undefended to a well taken kick.
Putting a defender on the line would only attract a Wimbledon player to do roughly the same.....but that would be better than giving the kicker a free shot at scoring.

Jun 27, 2019
I notice our wall didn't jump either, which didn't help. I wondered at the time if it had anything to do with G Cooper's freekick earlier in the match, which he hit low.

If there was an issue with M Cooper's positioning - and I'm inclined to agree that he stood too far to his left - it'll be very easy to fix in training. At the time I was more focused on how small he looked in his goal.

Jul 12, 2016
I didn't realise there were so many goalie experts around.Are we are going to analyse every mistake Cooper makes?
The team conceded 4,end of.

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
Talking of walls, didn't I read somewhere the other day that some teams are now getting a defender to lie flat on the ground behind the wall to stop it being penetrated by a "daisy cutter" when they jump?

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 30, 2003
oldage":1rc2u0x8 said:
I didn't realise there were so many goalie experts around.Are we are going to analyse every mistake Cooper makes?

You don't have to be a keeper expert to know that he was badly placed.

I rate him as a keeper, but feel that I'm allowed to mention that he was badly placed for the FK, if that's ok with you?

Jul 12, 2016
Next you'll be analysing the strikers!
"If he had hit it with the outside of his left foot instead of the inside of his right he would have scored".
Putting the spotlight on Cooper is IMO unjust and does nothing for his confidence.One thing for sure he knows more about goalkeeping than you will ever know. :facepalm:

Princerock

ā™£ļø PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
Daz":2wna74ft said:
oldage":2wna74ft said:

I rate him as a keeper, but feel that I'm allowed to mention that he was badly placed for the FK, if that's ok with you?

Total agreement Daz.....I thought at first he was standing there to line up the end of the wall...and that he would move more towards his right for the kick...how wrong could i be... :oops: .

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 30, 2003
oldage":3igvvsdm said:
"If he had hit it with the outside of his left foot instead of the inside of his right he would have scored".
Putting the spotlight on Cooper is IMO unjust and does nothing for his confidence.One thing for sure he knows more about goalkeeping than you will ever know. :facepalm:

I'm not putting the spotlight on him. I've commented on some of the pathetic defending from our centre backs also.

Princerock

ā™£ļø PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
oldage":2aiygktx said:

No more than you being an expert on how expert other people might be about goalies...opinions is what footie web-sites thrive on....you I hope will allow other people to have opinions....or are you always right.

Reminds me of Andy Capp having a go at Flo because she had criticized him twenty years before for the same thing.

The Doctor

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Iā€™ve only seen the footage once, as I watched the game live, but at the time I particularly noticed that an Argyle player (Edwards I think?) was trying to stand by the ball and line up/communicate with the wall but the referee rapidly moved him out of the way and whatever he was trying to do didnā€™t get done. I had the distinct impression from this that the wall had not been properly set up which, obviously, would also have affected Cooperā€™s positioning. I just wonder whether the defensive preparation for the free-kick was rushed and so not done correctly (rather than just not done correctly).

Jul 12, 2016
Princerock":2w8wg0v5 said:
oldage":2w8wg0v5 said:

No more than you being an expert on how expert other people might be about goalies...opinions is what footie web-sites thrive on....you I hope will allow other people to have opinions....or are you always right.

Reminds me of Andy Capp having a go at Flo because she had criticized him twenty years before for the same thing.
Absolutely nothing wrong with opinions but making Cooper the scapegoat for the goals conceded on Saturday doesn't seem fair to me. Only an opinion! Course I'm not always right .If you read how others react to my posts you should know that.

leeroy221

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
May 10, 2015
oldage":1g21s7p7 said:

The idea of this site is to debate, and debate they will. People will pose their oppinions, which you may not agree with, so what.
And im sure the players dont read pasoti so dont worry about their confidence being dented by putting the spotlight on them on this site.

Sep 6, 2006
Daz":1sbuxy2a said:
oldage":1sbuxy2a said:

So where do you think he should have stood and would it have made any difference? If he had stood further to the right he could have been beaten at the other post. Free kicks from that distance are scored regularly often against very good keepers.

Mar 24, 2019
If youā€™ve watched enough football it was plain to see his positioning for the free kick was a good meter too far to his left...it just looked wrong ....having said that if Lowe s seen enough to give him a chance as no1 then we need to back him... he was always gonna make some mistakes early on