Plymouth Argyle Daily News - Friday 25 September | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Plymouth Argyle Daily News - Friday 25 September

Site Manager

Administrator
Apr 3, 2013
Friday 25 September

Interview with new signing Jerome Opoku ..... club website
“It’s a big club, loads of history, and the style of play – playing out of the back, not really just a long-ball team.
“I would say I’m a ball-playing centre-back, which is why I can always fill in at left-back. I’m strong, and quite quick. I like to get on the ball and step out with it, dribble and take good chances with it."
Left-sided centre-back Jerome Opoku has signed on-loan from Fulham until January.
The 21-year old had a loan spell at Accrington Stanley last season. club website

Another rollover on the Big Green Lottery ...club website

Talks are continuing between the Premier League and the EFL about a £250 million bailout from the bigger clubs to lower league clubs. The Premier League want to help clubs who have been proactive in cutting costs but question if Birmingham City need the money after recently selling a player for £30 million and Exeter City who received a £4 million sell-on payment when striker Ollie Watkins was sold by Brentford .... BBC

A Government cabinet minister has said Elite sport will be expected to "look at ways in which it can support itself" through financial difficulties arising from the absence of fans. Meanwhile, an expert task force has been set-up to look at how high-tech solutions can be used to get fans back into stadiums ... BBC

The club launch lunchtime High Tea events .. club website

Oct 5, 2013
Premier League players would do well to take a good hard look at themselves and think whether they personally should do some bailing out of lower league clubs (in my humble opinion)!

Sep 22, 2020
are you seriously asking an individual to donate part of his wages to support a commercial entity such as a football club?

There is so much money sloshing around football i cannot believe the govt would even consider granting any money to the professional sport who can surely find a way to support itself.

Argyle have bought players and taken new players on in the summer, made staff redundant, generated over £1m in season tickets and the chairman has pumped in £3.5m to protect his investment

why would the govt pump in public money?

Sep 6, 2006
My suggestion would be Prem clubs lend lower League clubs the money at zero interest until such time as they can pay it back.

Nov 14, 2010
Cornwall
Brechin Hedge":15vhzhla said:
are you seriously asking an individual to donate part of his wages to support a commercial entity such as a football club?

There is so much money sloshing around football i cannot believe the govt would even consider granting any money to the professional sport who can surely find a way to support itself.

Argyle have bought players and taken new players on in the summer, made staff redundant, generated over £1m in season tickets and the chairman has pumped in £3.5m to protect his investment

why would the govt pump in public money?

How do you square the above, Brechin with the £175 million loan the Govt. gave Tottenham at the very favourable interest rate of 0.5% earlier this year?

Nov 11, 2012
Keyham
I think some of the questions the premiership is asking the EFL before handing over any money is fair. How is the money going to be allocated and why should they bail out some clubs who continue spending money when others have cut their budgets.

Oct 5, 2013
saffronwalden green":3utayg84 said:
philevs":3utayg84 said:
Premier League players would do well to take a good hard look at themselves and think whether they personally should do some bailing out of lower league clubs (in my humble opinion)!
Indeed, when you consider Gareth Bale is on £600k a week.

Exactly, which I personally consider to be obscene. Any such people with a social conscience might like to remember their own footballing origins, and share their blessings round a bit. Do they think they would have what they have if it wasn’t for the lower leagues? If they keep their money to themselves they might see the very thing that gave them their chance in life disappear altogether.

Oct 5, 2013
Balham_Green":1zva1d8v said:
My suggestion would be Prem clubs lend lower League clubs the money at zero interest until such time as they can pay it back.

Very good idea.

Oct 5, 2013
Brechin Hedge":3p4o2off said:

Yes.
Those who have a social conscience no doubt will do / are already doing something.

Apr 1, 2009
rongreenblood":bbhwgftu said:
Bale's wages pales into insignificance compared to Arsenal's Ozil,£350 thousand a week i believe.

Bale wouldn't get out of bed for £350k/ week. Reported to be on £600k a week.