Brief synopsis

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Burton there for the taking and we should have won by a greater score line.

Decent and confident build up but lacking in composure and quality in the final third.

Mixed feelings, great for the win but not totally convincing overall. Maybe expecting too much but fearful better teams may have more easily contained us.

Cooper 7
Aimson 6
Canavan 7
Fornau 7
Watts7
Cooper 6 (Edwards 6)
Moore 7
Grant 7 (Reeves 7)
Mayor 7
Noumble 7
Jephcott 7 (Telford 6)

MoTM Toss up between Mayor and Fornau

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I'd go along with those marks Tuggers, possibly a 6 for Grant though. Burton weren't the best and we didn't need to be at our best to beat them. Good to see Jephcott back, we have missed his movement and his finishing, we just need to get the Hardie of last season back now. Fornah looks a good addition and Watts seems to be settling in to his role now. Aimson was no better than the oft pilloried Wooton and the defence was never really tested. Mayor probably our best player today over 90 minutes but he still frustrates me. He is not scoring nor is he really offering assists but his quality from box to box is there for all to see. If only he could get a little more end product with his shooting and his final ball choice sometimes.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
A regulation win against a poor Burton team who look destined to be relegated.

We weren't at our best but didn't need to be, if we were we surely would have scored more.

Watching on iFollow is still a soulless and emotionless experience but the game did look drab with little goal mouth action.

Danny Mayor was outstanding, especially in the first half, he carries the ball so well and gets us up the pitch.
Ok there's the cry that there's no end product but he's the link to the next player who provides the end product, the second goal highlights that where he laid the ball off to Cooper to cross for Moore to score.

On today's evidence Fornah is a level above Camara and Macleod in the defensive midfielder role, able to break up play, pass and move and a very good 90 minutes under his belt.

The back three still look to have a mistake between them but did enough to keep out a very average Burton strike force.

Michael Cooper didn't have much to do, although he made a superb flying save from a free kick and also closed down quickly when a Burton striker was clean through.

After his early games where he played well Conor Grant really should be kicking on but this game passed him by, much like last season. Reeves, who played well in a late cameo, should take his place very soon.

Nouble did well upfront, holding up the ball and running the channels.
Jephcott's goal was down to a mistake from the keeper but credit to him for shooting from that position.

Overall, the starting line-up is evolving, it looks like there will be around 15 players who could definitely start each game and up to Lowe to select 11 from them.

Without crowds (although there are more and more people sat in the stands game by game) there is no pressure on the referees and today was another where the ref had a good game free from hassle or intimidation from a biased home crowd.

Man of the match - Mayor.

M Cooper 7, Aimson 6, Canavan 6, Watts 6, Fornah 7, Moore 7, Grant 5, Mayor 8, G Cooper 7, Nouble 7, Jephcott 7. Subs - Reeves 7, Telford 6, Edwards 6.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
not a bad game nor a great game but a deserved win against a poor side,how did indiana whatsisname miss that chance when aimson missed his header?my ratings;
Cooper 7
Aimson 6
Canavan 7
Fornah 8
Watts 6
Cooper 6
Moore 7
Grant 7
Mayor 5
Noumble 9
Jephcott 6

Tynan One Nil

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 23, 2013
Back 3 worked well together, just the odd mistake and a welcome clean sheet. Mayor MOM just missing a goal, which he clearly is desperate to get.
Burton offered little and once 2nd goal went in,that was game over.
Finally Fornah will be an asset, strong and composed.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Steve Evans":21kod3lo said:
not a bad game nor a great game but a deserved win against a poor side,how did indiana whatsisname miss that chance when aimson missed his header?my ratings;
Cooper 7
Aimson 6
Canavan 7
Fornah 8
Watts 6
Cooper 6
Moore 7
Grant 7
Mayor 5
Noumble 9
Jephcott 6

Never fails to raise a smile - Mayor 5 and Nouble 9

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Do we still think this 3–1-4-2 formation is our best?

I worry that we don’t open teams up enough or put enough chances away to warrant the pressure on out venerable back 3.

I like the principal but can’t quite get on board with it wholeheartedly.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Some excellent performances today, particularly from the midfield trio. Fornah seemed to have an extra second on the ball than everyone else, very composed for a young player on his football league debut. I still find it frustrating that we lump it into the channel's so often, all of our best stuff came when we played through the thirds and got Mayor & Co. on the ball. Overall a good result, a shame it couldn't be slightly more emphatic.

On the other hand, I thought Burton were very poor and i'd be concerned if i was a Burton fan. They lacked any real quality going forward, lost the midfield battle comprehensively and defensively were shaky.

Ratings:

Cooper - 7 - Not really tested, but a clean sheet will help his confidence.
Moore - 7 - Probably his best performance so far this season, but needs to improve his delivery. Found a yellow shirt too often.
Aimson - 5 - He is poor at judging the flight of the ball. I am concerned by his performances thus far. Not the player I expected, or had hoped for.
Canavan - 7 - Know what you're getting with Canavan however. We are much better for his composed presence.
Watts - 7 - Probably his best performance as well. Looked a lot better and is clearly comfortable on the ball.
G. Cooper - 7 - Was involved in a lot of our nice interplay. Again, delivery is inconsistent.
Fornah - 9 - MOTM: As a football league debut, I don't think you can ask for any more.
Mayor - 8 - As others have debated, end product is sometimes lacking, but cannot be doubted he makes us a better team. Carries the ball quickly and effectively and is forming a really nice partnership with Conor Grant.
C. Grant - 7 - Faded a little in the second half, but was excellent again in the first. Really becoming much more involved in games.
Nouble - 6 - Works and battles hard, but i'm not convinced. Doesn't seem a natural centre forward and felt he was on a different wavelength to those around. I'd be very surprised if he got to 10 goals this season.
Jephcott - 7 - Goal was fortunate, but has a knack of finding space which is why he's often amongst the goals. Him and Nouble often covering similar areas in the box and this led to our crosses landing to nobody.

Reeves - 7 - Looks like he has real quality and its unlucky for him that our current midfield options are playing so well. Great for us though.
Edwards - 6 - Not really on long enough to make an impact.
Telford - 6 - Same as above.

Apr 4, 2015
Our best performance of the season so far even though it was against a very average side. Our defence looked much more assured and composed and I hope RL sticks with it as clean sheets breed confidence throughout the team.

The midfield looked superb with Fornah outstanding but all played well however I would bring in Reeves for Grant when fully fit.

Up front Jephcott was his usual self, putting himself about a bit and scoring out of nothing and Nouble looks better every game. Hardie will struggle to start from now on but he was better coming off the bench last season so he has a major part to play in our season.

Very happy with our start to the season and I can't wait until we are eventually allowed in.

Mark Smith

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Luxembourg and Horsham
This was a convincing win insofar as I am convinced we will finish above at least four teams in this division; that we will find it hard to break down the better organised teams; and that we will struggle against more clinical, fast-breaking teams. Still, it’s early days and Lowe is clearly still tinkering with his starting line-up and tactical substitutions.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Tugboat":3eithxrs said:
Do we still think this 3–1-4-2 formation is our best?

I worry that we don’t open teams up enough or put enough chances away to warrant the pressure on out venerable back 3.

I like the principal but can’t quite get on board with it wholeheartedly.

Check the definition - must be in the top ten typos ever on this forum. :twisted:

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Overall, a pretty solid performance albeit against a pretty average team, thought we probably should have scored at least one more goal but very happy to get 3 points.

Mayor skilful again but still lacking end product. Cooper growing in confidence, Fornah looked useful as did Reeves in his late cameo.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
The back three concern me as they have always got a mistake or more between them....and today they showed that again....however..we got lucky...Burton failed to capitalise.....there you go...