Plymouth Argyle v Northampton Town - the build up + Q&A | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle v Northampton Town - the build up + Q&A

Site Manager

Administrator
Apr 3, 2013

Northampton Town
Official website
Fans forum
Twitter
Latest news

The Countdown to Northampton Town

Tuesday

Craig Hicks is the man in the middle for Saturday's game, so far this season he has issued 20 yellow cards and no red cards in seven games. He was last in charge of an Argyle game in October last season when the Greens beat Leyton Orient 4-0 at Home Park. He will be assisted on Saturday by Robert Dabbs and Mark Derrien while the fourth official is Scott Jackson.

The Pilgrims have played the Cobblers 43 times at Home Park, winning 24 games, drawing eight and losing 11.

iFollow £10 match pass available to buy ... here.

According to Sky Bet Argyle are favourites to win at 10/11, a Northampton win is placed at 13/5 and a draw also has odds of 13/5.

The Cobblers occupy 19th place in League One, winning one league game and are yet to keep a clean sheet in the league this season.

Northampton captain Nicky Adams calls for fans to be allowed back into stadiums ... Northampton club website.

Wednesday

Northampton manager Keith Curle looks ahead to the game ... Northampton club website
"I don't think last season's game against Plymouth comes in to it. We won't be thinking too much about it, it was a long time ago with different personnel involved. Every game we play we come up against a team who have strengths and weaknesses that we will look to nullify and exploit."

Thursday

Northampton Chairman Kelvin Thomas calls on the government to allow fans to return to stadiums ... Northampton club website.

Five free iFollow passes for the game ... Argyle Fans Trust

The Argyle Fans’ Trust has partnered up with the club to facilitate Simon Hallett's Zoom watch parties, and are now inviting expressions of interest to attend the online call.
To confirm your interest in the Northampton Watch Party, simply email zoom@argylefanstrust.com.

Striker Ryan Hardie will finish his period of self-isolation on Saturday after testing positive for Covid-19 and will be available for selection for Saturday's game.

Ryan Lowe's pre-match press conference ... club You Tube

Defender Kelland Watts looks ahead to the game ..club You Tube

Roger Averill, chairman of the Northampton Town Fans Trust, has kindly agreed to give Pasoti users an insight into his club with a Q&A ...
Q: How has your club coped through the Covid-19 pandemic?
A: We have been incredibly lucky in the fact that we made £750,000 out of our FA Cup run last season and sold Charlie Goode for £1M, so, financially we have coped well.

Q: What are your thoughts on manager Keith Curle?
A: KC did very well to get us promoted via the play offs but , realistically we got promoted on the back of 2 really good performances. KC seems reluctant to change anything even if it’s obviously not working.  

Q: Were Northampton busy in the transfer market during the summer transfer window?
A: We lost our complete back 3 in the summer and, at the moment, the replacements seem to be of a lower standard. Some of the summer signings have hardly played at all.

Q: What are your expectations and predicted finishing position in League One this season?
A: I think most Cobblers fans will be happy to stay in League One.

Q: Without giving too much away what style of football and formation are Northampton likely to use against Argyle?  
A: We have been playing 3-5-2 but have been conceding too many goals, we look better in a 4-2-3-1, so expect 3-5-2!!

Q: Looking from afar what are your views on Plymouth Argyle?
A: It’s a long way but the Pasties are good!

Q: Finally, do you have a prediction for the game?
A: I would be happy with a point but I’m not expecting it.
------------------------------------------------------------

Friday

The cover of the match programme ....

Matchday Frequently Asked Questions ... club website

Match preview .... Northampton Chronicle.

Northampton fan Danny from podcast It's All Cobblers To Me has also kindly agreed to a Q&A for Pasoti users ...
Q: How has your club coped through the Covid-19 pandemic?
A: As a club we were helped by a really well timed FA Cup run last season and the sale of Charlie Goode for over £1 million to Brentford. Outside of that, the club were fantastic in keeping in touch with fans during the initial lockdown and that bond was a big momentum for the players to take into the playoffs.

Q: What are your thoughts on manager Keith Curle?
A: He turned opinions around big time during the playoffs with some incredible one off performances after a stop-start season. His style will never please everyone but if he has the right personnel in by the time of the deadline closing then there shouldn’t be too many complaints. When we do lose, though, the playing style is highlighted a lot and looks terrible. When it works, it’s great and can upset teams who like to play the ball on the ground.

Q: Were Northampton busy in the transfer market during the summer transfer window?
A: Pretty busy with the step up to League One and a number of players moving on. We’ve had to invest in a whole new back line but none of them look an upgrade on last season as of yet unfortunately. Striker Vadaine Oliver was key to how we play and it’s still unclear as to how we’re filling the gap he’s left.

Q: What are your expectations and predicted finishing position in League One this season?
A: We were pretty optimistic at the start of the season but a few games in and there’s many questions to be answered before we can be confident of staying up. That has to be the aim at time of writing.

Q: Without giving too much away what style of football and formation are Northampton likely to use against Argyle?
A: We should be going 3-5-2 with wing backs as usual. We play a direct style designed to getting the ball forward in the quickest way possible.

Q: Looking from afar what are your views on Plymouth Argyle?
A: Impressed at the job Ryan Lowe has done after a success with Bury. He knows the lower leagues well despite being relatively new to management and looks like a great person to have at the helm. As a club, we’ve always been welcomed well at Argyle…and love a bit of Dave Banana!

Q: Finally, do you have a prediction for the game?
A: I’ll go for an optimistic 2-2 draw!
----------------------------

Match preview ... club website

Saturday

Video match preview by a Cobblers fan ....You Tube.

Jun 27, 2019
Northampton play bloody awful football but it was certainly effective against the Chokers at Wembley. If we haven't yet seen how Michael Cooper will cope with an aerial bombardment we should have a much better idea after tomorrow.

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
WoodsyGreen":2ndz3mu0 said:
Northampton play bloody awful football but it was certainly effective against the Chokers at Wembley. If we haven't yet seen how Michael Cooper will cope with an aerial bombardment we should have a much better idea after tomorrow.

Thanks for that insight Woodsy, it's intrigued me so I've just subscribed for the match!

Jun 27, 2019
saxman":1ethkcmo said:
WoodsyGreen":1ethkcmo said:

Thanks for that insight Woodsy, it's intrigued me so I've just subscribed for the match!

Didn't think it was my most insightful post, but if it made a few quid for the club then job done! :greensmile:

ps. if Northampton play like Barcelona today can I just say that I am not liable for refunds.

Sep 6, 2006
WoodsyGreen":288vbq8j said:
saxman":288vbq8j said:
WoodsyGreen":288vbq8j said:

Didn't think it was my most insightful post, but if it made a few quid for the club then job done! :greensmile:

ps. if Northampton play like Barcelona today can I just say that I am not liable for refunds.

Hopefully the Barcelona that lost 7.0 to Bayern :thumbs: