Brief Synopsis Northampton

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
A win that has mirrored the start to the season - good and solid without being spectacular.

Nouble and Watts had their best games in a Green shirt topped off with a goal apiece.

Northampton were solid and kept their shape and were difficult to break down with patience the key to winning the game.

We won 15 corners which must be some kind of recent record and corner number 14 proved to be decisive with another assist for Cooper which led to Watts tapping in the winner at the far post.

Nouble was a handful throughout with his hold up play and benefitted from a great cross from Grant to give us the lead. Big Frank the Tank is slowly becoming a crucial player for us.

I thought Canavan was at fault for Northampton's goal by not closing down the Cobblers striker and allowing a free shot.

We didn't allow this set-back to upset our rhythm and stuck to the game plan of possession football looking for an opportunity and clear pass into feet.

Jephcott wasn't in the game and perhaps his recent layoff with injury has caught up with him.
Reeves didn't shine as a second half replacement for Grant and we lost ground in midfield during the early stages of the second half.

Abraham hardly saw the ball as a late sub so he can't be judged just yet.

Mayor had a good game and was once again our creative spark.

Credit to Lowe for always sticking to Plan A, it works more often than not so why look for Plan B or C?

Overall, a win built on patience and sticking to the game plan.

Man of the match - Nouble.

M Cooper 7, Aimson 6, Canavan 5, Watts 7, Fornah 6, Moore 6, Grant 7, Mayor 7, G Cooper 7, Jephcott 5, Nouble 8. Subs Reeves 5, Abraham n/a, Okopu n/a.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
A game we deserved to win. It was a bit frustrating to watch at times, as our very patient build up play often came to not very much.
Nouble and Jephcott were both quiet for the first 30 minutes. Frank came alive after his goal and could easily have scored another in the second half.
Watts had an excellent game in defense and of course scored our winner, so was my MoM.
I thought Byron Moore could have also done better for the goal we condeded.
Mike Cooper did pretty much everything well, apart from an occasional distribution error. Georger Cooper and Mayor had a good first half and Mayor still makes you sit up when he gets the ball. He is exciting to watch, and, even though it doesn´t all come off for him, or us, we are lucky to have him.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Posty sums it up nicely.

Happy with the win, performance was fine. I just think we need to try playing through the lines a bit more.

Mayor was different class, but Nouble and Watts had great games too.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
A very fair summary from Posty. A decent start from us as new players are bedding in. The true test will come in the next 4 games against some decent opposition 3 of which are away. Another 5 points to give us 16 from our opening 10 games will be a solid start and something to build on.

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
Canavan wasn’t the only one at fault for the goal. It was like a parting of the Red Sea! It was a mad five minutes when Harriman seemed to advance at will completely unmolested.

We were fortunate not to concede a second.

What a fantastic reflex save just before the goal by Cooper, I think Lowe is spot on about his potential. Nouble was excellent and a constant pain for the Northampton defence to deal with. We certainly have competition for places up front now particularly when Hardie is back.

I had grave doubts about Watts but he had a good game and a great finish for the goal. Also congratulations to the commentary team they were very good today.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Really excited about the fact that we seem to be getting better. And should only get even better as the new players totally bed in and we get more used to the league.

And possibly even more excited about M Cooper, whether it’s his future playing contribution or transfer fee.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Larry David":301w8849 said:
Canavan wasn’t the only one at fault for the goal. It was like a parting of the Red Sea! It was a mad five minutes when Harriman seemed to advance at will completely unmolested.

We were fortunate not to concede a second.

What a fantastic reflex save just before the goal by Cooper, I think Lowe is spot on about his potential. Nouble was excellent and a constant pain for the Northampton defence to deal with. We certainly have competition for places up front now particularly when Hardie is back.

I had grave doubts about Watts but he had a good game and a great finish for the goal. Also congratulations to the commentary team they were very good today.
Fantastic reflex save by Mike Cooper. Also, he came out and confidently caught the first long throw early in the game and another good catch under pressure in the second half, even though he was fouled.
Tuesday’s game at Lincoln will be interesting with Mike Cooper and Alex Palmer in opposition.

B

bristolgreenblood

Absolulety delighted for both Bears and Chiefs winning Europhean trophies. Even more delighted with the greens start in League 1. Onwards and upwards to Lincoln on Tuesday.

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
It was a very similar game to Burton last week, with Northampton as ordinary. We dominated possession in the first half, without really threatening, and suddenly scored with an opportunistic strike.
We huffed and puffed at the start of the second half, and then conceded a soft goal. Although the defence should have dealt with it much better, I thought Mike Cooper made it easy for him to finish by not getting his angles right- he was too far over to the right when coming out. I noticed it in the Blackpool game too, when CJ Hamilton ran through our defence, although Cooper compensated by making an excellent save. An area of his otherwise exemplary start that might need a little more work.
I thought we had our best spell of the match after they scored, with Nouble, Mayor and Cooper at the forefront. Our late winner, a lovely, composed finish by the increasingly impressive Kell Watts, was deserved.

M.Cooper 6
Aimson 6
Canavan 6
Watts 7
Fornah 6
Moore 6
Grant 6 (Reeves 6)
Mayor 7
G.Cooper 7 (Opoku N/A)
Jephcott 6 (Abraham N/A)
Nouble 7

OnicknowlePete

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 6, 2004
Plymouth
Although it was frustrating at times, i think we deserved the win, my only gripe is that the single camera doesn't always keep up with play, why can't ifollow sort this out, it is more than frustrating at times with this only view,
Pete

Jun 27, 2019
A character-building win against a side who look relegation favourites even at this early stage.

We dominated possession throughout but it was the same old story of failing to convert that possession into goalscoring opportunities. Mayor looks a better player than last season and very obviously scares the life out of teams, but we would be so much more dangerous if we had another creative outlet from midfield who could do what he does. Maybe Reeves can be that player? RL obviously wants a left footer in that RCM role and from what I've seen Reeves offers more of an attacking threat than Grant, though he couldn't quite get going in his 45 minutes today.

Northampton had a purple patch either side of their goal and we did well to ride that out and take the game back to them. In truth, though, we didn't have to be at our best to win today - Northampton are still League Two standard and if they'd got a point out of us it would have been a travesty.

Mayor, Watts and Nouble were our stand-out performers, with G Cooper also influential in patches.

Jephcott had a day to forget against the Northampton National Express, but his was probably the only disappointing performance.

We still don't know how good we are because we've only played two of the current top half, but we're certainly good enough to stay up and maybe even have a stab at the playoffs in a fair wind.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
A deserved win and another 3 points against a fellow promoted side also still finding their way in a higher division.

Still far too early to gauge how we compare with the rest of the Division but nothing to fear so far.

Jephcott was pretty ananymous as an attacker but did some good work back-tracking to help the defence. Watts caught the eye, perhaps his best game yet.

Another poor goal to concede with a definite reluctance to close down the player on the ball by at least 3 Argyle players.

More of a test in the next few weeks with some tricky looking away games which will really start to tell us where we are.