Chairman's Chat 19/10/20 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Chairman's Chat 19/10/20

Jul 14, 2008
I’m not sure Argyle should be offering refunds. It was clear when season tickets went on sale that they were non refundable. It will harm the club quite considerably if a reasonable percentage of season ticket holders ask for refunds.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Herts_Green":3jwm1yjo said:
I’m not sure Argyle should be offering refunds. It was clear when season tickets went on sale that they were non refundable. It will harm the club quite considerably if a reasonable percentage of season ticket holders ask for refunds.

It wasn't clear when season tickets went on sale that crowds may not be allowed back in to watch games until after xmas.
I won't seek a refund but Argyle have to abide by the common law. If what you sell someone is not as described then you should offer redress.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
I imagine some might have more of an issue with the fact ST holders are essentially paying 50% more than non-season ticket holders for iFollow rather than not being allowed in to the ground.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Liam Vercoe":1heth5l5 said:
I imagine some might have more of an issue with the fact ST holders are essentially paying 50% more than non-season ticket holders for iFollow rather than not being allowed in to the ground.
One consideration is that renewing annually secures your seat for the next season ( if we are all allowed back next season).

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Liam Vercoe":1qclohoz said:

IFollow for overseas subscribers is £140 for all 46 games at £3 a game.
There can't be much money going to the club under that deal.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=111870

Topboy

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Oct 2, 2003
Plympton
Forgetting the refund issue, it's another great example of what this man is doing for our club.

Excellent communication on a number of topics - frank and honest and above and beyond what has to be done.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
davie nine":cq797ju4 said:
Liam Vercoe":cq797ju4 said:
One consideration is that renewing annually secures your seat for the next season ( if we are all allowed back next season).

That is true, and that is one of the reasons I renewed mine, although like you say, at this rate who knows when we can be back in.

PL2 3DQ":cq797ju4 said:
Liam Vercoe":cq797ju4 said:

IFollow for overseas subscribers is £140 for all 46 games at £3 a game.
There can't be much money going to the club under that deal.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=111870

I wonder who sets the prices for iFollow; whether it's Argyle, the EFL or whoever?

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Doesn't 90% or more of the ifollow money go to the club? £140 is admittedly great value for me overseas and I would pay £200 perhaps. It is no substitute for being there though. Any more than £200, more than half the price of a season ticket and I wouldn't pay upfront for a season so the club would get no more. I would probably pick 20 of the more attractive fixtures at a tenner a game. The point of overseas subscriptions was because fans aren't allowed to watch live screened games in the UK but overseas residents couldn't anyway. This season is a one off situation and season ticket holders particularly are paying dear for watching on ifollow which highlights the cheaper overseas cost, the price of which was never an issue until recent weeks. It was all extra revenue to the club. Many overseas residents have firesticks on which they can watch live any EFL game of their choice, most of course have it to watch their favourite team, all for free. I choose to pay my £140 to ifollow as most of it goes to my club.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Surely it is now later in the week, where is the release? :think:

Oct 31, 2015
Just read the chairmans notes and i am so happy we have a real business man and Argyle fan in charge. The letter was open and honest and his support shone through.

I spent over a grand on season tickets this year, yes that was my choice but I don't think people should put pressure on anyone about refunds. This season is different to the end of last season and there will be people who had to cobble together their money for the ticket. I won't be asking for a refund but I get others will and that's fine

Back to the article and what a brilliant update. Sounds like recruitment had been well planned and executed. I like the way the club is trying to get other revenues of cash in to help cashflow and we definitely have a more business like feel about us now more so than I have ever seen. Off the field is as important as on the field if the club is to be sustained.

There is also sense in what he says about the prem deal that fell through.

Very good article which keeps updated about our club. Nice one Mr Hallett :thumbup:

Sep 22, 2020
offering refunds which are then donated back to the club has two material tax benefits.

Firstly where a refund is given the club can claim back the VAT declared on the income so at say half of a £385 ticket that is £32.08 ticket. if the money is then donated to the Trust, rather than the club, the Trust can claim gift aid on that donation which is a further £48.12 per ticket.

So Argyle refund £385 x 50 per cent = £192.50 and claim back VAT of £32.08. The £192.50 is then donated to the Community Trust with Gift Aid of £48.12 so Argyle have actually only 'lost' £192.50 less £80.20.

Not sure if Argyle are structuring the arrangement in this way but lots of EFL clubs are so the initially perceived loss actually becomes a credit of £80.20.

Most things are done for tax so i guess this will be a large part of the planning on this issue.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Brechin Hedge":1x3jk0rl said:
offering refunds which are then donated back to the club has two material tax benefits.

Firstly where a refund is given the club can claim back the VAT declared on the income so at say half of a £385 ticket that is £32.08 ticket. if the money is then donated to the Trust, rather than the club, the Trust can claim gift aid on that donation which is a further £48.12 per ticket.

So Argyle refund £385 x 50 per cent = £192.50 and claim back VAT of £32.08. The £192.50 is then donated to the Community Trust with Gift Aid of £48.12 so Argyle have actually only 'lost' £192.50 less £80.20.

Not sure if Argyle are structuring the arrangement in this way but lots of EFL clubs are so the initially perceived loss actually becomes a credit of £80.20.

Most things are done for tax so i guess this will be a large part of the planning on this issue.

Gift aid can only be claimed for donations charities. Is The Trust registered as a charity? My apologies if it is.

Sep 22, 2020
which is why i suggested the trust and not the academy which under EFL rules must be the same entity as the club itself.