What we are missing | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

What we are missing

Aug 4, 2011
I’m surprised it’s not been commented on much if at all, but the type of player I feel were badly missing is Sarcevic.

Was never his biggest fan, but we’ve not really replaced him in terms of a player who wants to drive into the box, take a shot from outside the box, or lead from midfield.

We have undoubtably got some talent in that midfield, but the players are all too similar. Nice close control, neat and tidy passing, but very rarely do they run into the box with the ball or have a shot on goal from outside the box.

Watching last nights game, I think Cooper at wing back (away from home) has run its course. Play mayor in the number 10, Jephcott up front, and cooper the left side of 3 midfields with either Moore of Opoku at LWB and Camara and Fornah occupying the other 2 central midfield slots. That way at least Cooper will be in a position to make some attempts on goal and still link up with Mayor as they do so well. This time a bit more centrally where we can hurt the opposition a bit more. Pains me seeing him back in our final 3rd trying to win throw ins or defending crosses.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I'm not so sure. I liked Sarcevic, however, I frequently said that I didn't feel he quite suited our system, that may seem odd because he played every game pretty much and performed well, but for the system we play to be at it's best it requires more position aware, technical/cultured midfield players. Last night I think we actually missed Conor Grant more than anything. If Sarcevic returned tomorrow, I definitely don't think he'd be a shoe in for the first team.

Jul 12, 2016
We are too much of a soft touch.All well and good having technically gifted players but sometimes you need somebody who can stamp their authority on the game and rally the troops.

Sep 6, 2006
football-bet-data":2efla2e5 said:
I’m surprised it’s not been commented on much if at all, but the type of player I feel were badly missing is Sarcevic.

Was never his biggest fan, but we’ve not really replaced him in terms of a player who wants to drive into the box, take a shot from outside the box, or lead from midfield.

We have undoubtably got some talent in that midfield, but the players are all too similar. Nice close control, neat and tidy passing, but very rarely do they run into the box with the ball or have a shot on goal from outside the box.

Watching last nights game, I think Cooper at wing back (away from home) has run its course. Play mayor in the number 10, Jephcott up front, and cooper the left side of 3 midfields with either Moore of Opoku at LWB and Camara and Fornah occupying the other 2 central midfield slots. That way at least Cooper will be in a position to make some attempts on goal and still link up with Mayor as they do so well. This time a bit more centrally where we can hurt the opposition a bit more. Pains me seeing him back in our final 3rd trying to win throw ins or defending crosses.

I agree. It's all pass pass pass mainly sideways often back until it gets to Mayor who usually tries to beat one too many. I like Camara but we have few players who can 'hurt' the opposing defence. Also where are the ball winning 'Mauge' types? Lincoln were so in their comfort zone. Perhaps Cooper in that role at home but not away(wouldnt have thought it would make a difference with no crowds but it still seems to). Am far from convinced re Jephcott though.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I'm noticing quite a difference in League 1 compared to League 2. Edwards, Sarcevic and Moore to name a few have never really been more than very average in League 1 but all looked good players in League 2 and I'm sure the management are slowly bringing in players more suited to challenge strongly in League 1but it can't all be done overnight. It is very early in the season so Lowe is probably tinkering a little before a more settled starting eleven evolves.

Dec 30, 2011
Cooper needs to play as an outright attacking player, perhaps as an impact sub away from home

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Wingbacks.

We need more pace and better end product to enable us to hold the ball further up the pitch.

Cooper isn’t a wingback and Moore isn’t clicking on the right.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Tugboat":3ioksf15 said:
Wingbacks.

We need more pace and better end product to enable us to hold the ball further up the pitch.

Cooper isn’t a wingback and Moore isn’t clicking on the right.

I was thinking exactly the same this morning. Arguably, in Ryan Lowe’s 3-5-2 formation the two wingbacks are THE critical players for making the system work. They have to be quickly able to get back into their defensive positions otherwise they leave the wide centreback on their side horribly exposed (which has happened plenty so far this season) but they are also the main point of attack and must be quick, skillful and offer good connection with the other attacking players and excellent delivery into the penalty area. Both Cooper and Moore have some of the necessary attributes but neither is really able to provide strong enough defensive cover and I am not sure that Moore is offering enough going forward either. It’s a huge ask. We’d be a MUCH better team if we had two proper attacking fullbacks - players like Ng of Crewe. I think that until Lowe gets the wingbacks right, which he might do by converting Cooper and Moore over time but there is no guarantee, then we’re never going to function properly in the 3-5-2 system.

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
oldage":3hmhfdab said:
We are too much of a soft touch.All well and good having technically gifted players but sometimes you need somebody who can stamp their authority on the game and rally the troops.

I agree. A cross between Roy Keane, Gatuso, Friio, Maugé and Nalis.
Not much to ask is it?
I feel we have been too soft for a few years now and a midfield general/hard man could be the missing link. Someone to get in the ref's face a bit.
It also can't help at the moment having a different captain every other game (no fault of the team or gaffer, just circumstances).

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Lousy_Pint":il3zewx5 said:
oldage":il3zewx5 said:

Not much to ask is it?
I feel we have been too soft for a few years now and a midfield general/hard man could be the missing link. Someone to get in the ref's face a bit.
It also can't help at the moment having a different captain every other game (no fault of the team or gaffer, just circumstances).

Ernie Machin (showing my age now!) :scarf:

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Lousy_Pint":2ldjgxmz said:
oldage":2ldjgxmz said:

Not much to ask is it?
I think that you missed out Steve Castle.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Mark58":16sbqa3g said:
Lousy_Pint":16sbqa3g said:
oldage":16sbqa3g said:

Not much to ask is it?

Ernie Machin (showing my age now!) :scarf:

Russel Coughlin? I love a player who can 'dig in' AND play the game!! :nworthy:
(Not dissing Our Ernie in any way. Class act! :nworthy: Just another option. )

Aug 10, 2006
we could do with another midfielder to drive into the box mayor does it but for some reason he rarely gets a shot away, I know we play a patient build up game but how many times do we move the ball into the opponents half and the ball ends up back with the keeper.

Sep 22, 2020
strikers with a goal threat is what we lacked on tuesday. maybe service was poor but we were no threat in the last third, certainly second half.

Lincoln were and it made them a better overall team. with palmer in goal they look as though they could be a decent team in this league this season.