Asian footballers of Argyle! | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Asian footballers of Argyle!

Jul 18, 2020
Following interest in the Jack Leslie Campaign, a chap has contacted me about a podcast he is making about the history of Asian footballers playing In England (notably less than black players)
Can anyone think of any players of Asian background that have played for Argyle?
Thanks!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
We had our eyes on a few Japanese players during 'that' period, but can't think of any Asians/British-Asians that actually signed.

Bar the famous Korean and Japanese players, and a few Chinese... I'm struggling to think of any in English football at all.

Zesh Rehman? Michael Chopra?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Back in 2008 the club directors did announce we were in talks with several Japanese players and hoped to sign at least one. Kagami was a director at the time but nothing came of it, I think there were problems getting work permits.

Bernie Bernbaum

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 29, 2015
The only British Asian player I can remember is Ricky Heppolette of Leyton Orient.

Jun 27, 2019
GregFoxsmith":tjwfuzg1 said:
Following interest in the Jack Leslie Campaign, a chap has contacted me about a podcast he is making about the history of Asian footballers playing In England (notably less than black players)
Can anyone think of any players of Asian background that have played for Argyle?
Thanks!

Depends what he means by 'Asian'. There have been quite a few South Korean and Japanese footballers in English football, but if he means British Asians then that's a different matter altogether. There have been very, very few, and certainly none at Argyle.

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
Graham Evans":o9ma84b9 said:
Afew years ago we had a turkish player on loan from Celtic i think . His name (apologies fir incorrect spelling } was Cifki i think.

Nadir Cifici...2017....total dross.

Jun 15, 2013
As a South Korean, I hope to see Koreans in Argyle someday. Especially a player like Son! :greensmile: