First half v Second half

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
There's a pattern developing between our first and second half performances this season.

This table shows we are in second place in League One based solely on first half scores but fourth from bottom when taking just second half displays into account.

First half: Played 8 - won 5, drawn 2, lost 1. Goals for 7, against 3. Points 17.

Second half: played 8 - won 1, drawn 4, lost 3. Goals for 4, against 7. Goals 7.

Purely on second half in away games we are bottom of League One, in contrast in home games for the first 45 minutes we are top!

Is our falling away in the second half down to tiredness? Poor game management? The opposition raising their game? Lack of strong mental character? Lack of leadership?
Or just finding our feet in a new and tough League?

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
It looks to me that the opposition steps up for the second half and weā€™re slow to respond. If it was a fitness issue Iā€™d expect us to trail off throughout the second half, but we donā€™t, itā€™s straight from the whistle.

We have a young inexperienced playing staff which are rotated due to the amount of fixtures and payers unavailable for selection. Lowe is also inexperienced at this level. We havenā€™t had a settled team and weā€™re learning on the job, but weā€™ve got to learn quickly and stop making the same mistakes over and over again.

Sep 3, 2009
I think people need to manage their expectations. Weā€™ve lost 2 in our first 8 - both away to the teams in 1st & 3rd, in a division where the football has improved immeasurably in the last few years.

Weā€™re bedding in lots of new players and have been significantly disrupted by injury and illness.

Itā€™s a very solid start.

Aug 2, 2011
Very strange, we dominated the first half and should have gone in 2 or even 3 nil. Second half we looked slow, lack of shape and no appetite to win the ball with the exception of the final 8 mins. A complete reverse to the Hull game - we were outplayed throughout the first half and then came back into the game second half and probably deserved a point.

For me Fornah was outstanding in the central midfield role. As someone who has been a regular since 1958 it is quiet amazing how the standard of the game has improved in the lower leagues. We are embarrassingly in the ā€œoldā€ third division but to be fair the quality of the football is pretty good.

Feb 8, 2005
PL2 3DQ":2f0lntkk said:
There's a pattern developing between our first and second half performances this season.

This table shows we are in second place in League One based solely on first half scores but fourth from bottom when taking just second half displays into account.

First half: Played 8 - won 5, drawn 2, lost 1. Goals for 7, against 3. Points 17.

Second half: played 8 - won 1, drawn 4, lost 3. Goals for 4, against 7. Goals 7.

Purely on second half in away games we are bottom of League One, in contrast in home games for the first 45 minutes we are top!

Is our falling away in the second half down to tiredness? Poor game management? The opposition raising their game? Lack of strong mental character? Lack of leadership?
Or just finding our feet in a new and tough League?

I understand the reasoning for questioning. Your stats do ask the question.

I suspect that opposition managers know the way we play before the game starts and sets up his team to negate our tactics in the first half, a holding game if you were. They will have their own game plan as well for the first half.

The opposition manager will have seen how his tactics in the first half have gone and will decide, especially when at home, to change his system for a more attacking and 'in your face' second half which means we have to react to the different tactics employed. Sometimes this disrupts the rhythm we had in the first half.

Sometimes it can be difficult to get out of a rut, and sometimes it takes a while for our coaches to adjust our game accordingly.

I would suggest that a more consistent team sheet will help us to blend together. At the moment we are obliged to keep chopping and changing because of covid and because of injuries, and we are dropping points because of it. We need consistency in our team.