Plymouth Argyle v Doncaster Rovers - the build up + Q&A | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle v Doncaster Rovers - the build up + Q&A

Site Manager

Administrator
Apr 3, 2013

Doncaster Rovers
Official website
Fans forum
Twitter
Latest news

The Countdown to Doncaster Rovers

Sunday

Buy your iFollow match pass .... here.

Alan Young is the man in the middle for the game, so far this season he has issued 23 yellow cards and no reds in six games, he was last in charge of an Argyle match in January last season when the Greens drew 2-2 with Crawley Town at Home Park. He will be assisted on Tuesday by Simon Shaw and Ravel Cheosiaua while the fourth official is Matt Russell.

The Greens have played Doncaster 22 times at Home Park, winning eight games, drawing six and losing eight. The last game was in September 2018 and finished in a 3-2 away win for Rovers.

Doncaster currently occupy seventh place in League One, winning four games, drawing one and losing two.

Sky Bet have an Argyle win placed at 15/8, a draw at 12/5 and a Doncaster win has odds of 13/10.

Doncaster Rovers fan Ben from the Supporters Club has kindly agreed to give Pasoti users an insight into his club with a Q&A ...
Q: How has your club coped through the Covid-19 pandemic?
A: Coping through the pandemic has been very challenging for us along with every EFL team. Last season ended prematurely, with us finishing in 9th place on the points per game method, 6 points off the play offs. That really seems a distant memory now, the majority of club staff were placed on furlough, and redundancies have sadly followed. The club were very grateful and appreciative with the response from fans who donated money to the club, and an overwhelming number of fans not taking up the option of part refunds on season tickets from last season for games not played. The owners subsidise the club every season and have agreed to further subsidise to make up the additional shortfall. For this I will always be exceptionally grateful for.

Q: What are your thoughts on manager Darren Moore?
A: I think the majority of Rovers fans were hopeful of appointing Darren Moore back in July 2019, after Grant McCann had left us. However I think most fans felt he would be beyond our reach. Darren is very fondly remembered as he played for us from 1995-1997, where he was an absolute rock in defence for us. He has a reputation for developing, and working well with young players, and certainly seems to have plenty of contacts in the game, which he has used to sign numerous promising young players on loan. Darren doesn't sign players for the sake of it, and certainly doesn't panic buy. He knows who he wants and is prepared to wait for them. The signs are very encouraging and we have a very level headed and thoughtful manager.

Q: How do you rate Doncaster's business during the summer transfer window?
A: I think we have done very well in the transfer window. We signed a very highly rated goalkeeper on loan from Stoke in Josef Bursik, who is an England U20 international. We permanently signed two young players who we had on loan last season. Winger Jason Lokilo from Crystal Palace and centre back/left back Cameron John from Wolves. I don't think many fans expected us to be able to sign John permanently. We haven't seen much of another permanent signing in Ed Williams to judge fairly. Taylor Richards has signed on loan from Brighton. The midfielder has a very impressive range of passing at his disposal. Two further loans were signed just before our first league game. Tyreece John-Jules from Arsenal, an England U19 striker, and Rayhaan Tulloch a winger/striker from West Brom, who also has England experience. Tulloch got injured very early on, John-Jules looks very useful, however he is sadly currently injured as well. Veteran centre back Andy Butler rejoined the club on a short term deal to provide cover at the back. This is a deal that suits all parties as he's from Doncaster, lives in the town and also manages the Doncaster Belles. We finished our transfer business on deadline day with two further loans who I think we did very well to sign. Full Wales international Matt Smith, a midfielder from Manchester City looks like he has good vision and an eye for a pass.

Josh Sims from Southampton, a very pacey winger also with England experience. In a short space of time he has already impressed. We did make one further signing, right back Charlie Seaman, previously with Bournemouth. He was immediately loaned out to Maidstone to get some playing time. He would have been in our development squad, but that was sadly scrapped due to covid related financial cuts. The majority of our signings have been loans, but they all look like they will bring something positive to the squad. Having said all that I think most Rovers fans would agree that the best thing about the window was what didn't happen. Rovers board turned down seven figure bids for our captain Ben Whiteman.

Q: What are your expectations and predicted finishing position in League One this season?
A: I see us as playoff contenders. When we are on form I would favour us against anyone in the division. In games where we are not at our best, I still feel we have a goal in us. My big concern is we only have two out and out strikers on the books, which I fear may cost us. I would say 6th position is a realistic finish for us. Sometimes I do think it could be higher, but try not to get too carried away.

Q: Without giving too much away what style of football and formation are Doncaster likely to use against Argyle?
A: Our style of play is to play out from the back and pin teams in their half with patient passing play. We do have a high tempo passing game, which is when I believe we are at our best, breaking quickly with vibrant and snappy passing and movement. This can be a lot harder to do at home, as most teams pack their own half to deny us space. I think away from we can often look more dangerous. Both fullbacks will push on just as much away as they do at home. When we use width we can look very dangerous. An open game will give us a better chance of showing what we can do. We will play with a standard back four, two central/defensive midfielders, wingers, attacking midfielder and an out and striker. So basically a 4-2-3-1.

Q: Looking from afar what are your views on Plymouth Argyle?
A: Lately Argyle seem to be a team too good for League 2 and trying to stabilise in League 1. My recent memory is of the three way tussle between ourselves and Portsmouth in 2016/17, where Pompey somehow managed to finish as League 2 Champions. I am looking forward to seeing your redevelopment main stand.

Q: Finally, do you have a prediction for the game?
A: Now for the big question - score prediction. Not much between us in the table, we have won 2 out of 3 away league games, I reckon we will sneak it 2-1.
--------------------------

Doncaster Rovers fan Paul from the Supporters Club has also kindly agreed to give Pasoti users an insight into his club with a Q&A ...
A: We have coped quite well so far during covid thanks to the fans not asking for money back for missed games last season. We also have income from the use of our car parks from local  business's and the weekly car boot sale and 5 a side pitches  and good cost cutting measures by the generosity of the directors, management, CEO and staff along with the government furlough scheme. But the longer it goes without fans more clubs will find it difficult to survive.

A: Darren Moore is a great manager , has the respect of the fans and has great relationship with players and fans and plays attractive footballl and has great links eith other clubs to get loan players who have mainly improved the team.

A: We have been very shrewd and as said before Darren has called on his contacts to lend us some good players, Josh Simms from Southampton looks class, we also got Bursik in goal who is an England under 21 international and we managed to hold onto Ben Whiteman.

Q: What are your expectations and predicted finishing position in League One this season?
A: I think Rovers will finish in and around the play-offs, we need to keep free of injuries and suspensions but we need to be consistent, we have just beaten Pompey and Ipswich then lose to Crewe.

Q: Without giving too much away what style of football and formation are Doncaster likely to use against Argyle?
A: I think we will play 4-5-1 with the wing backs being prominent, our defenders have chipped in with a couple of goals recently and we like to play through mifield but love to attack. We have a settled side with a strong centre back partnership.

A: It's has been a happy hunting ground for us in our past couple of visits, probably my favourite away game of the season, there's always been a bit of spice especially the other year with McCormick getting the legend James Coppinger sent off!
I will miss the oggies, ie: pasties!
i was based at Devonport so got to see quite a few Argyle games, it's a great set up there but I miss the old Barn Park terrace although the new grandstand is impressive.

A: I think will be a very close game but I reckon we will sneak it 2-1, also my neighbours are Argyle fans so I want the bragging rights.
As a supporters club member I will miss coming down for a stay at New Continental hotel, usually 50 of us stop there for the weekend, Claire the boss there is an Argyle season ticket holder so have good banter with her also I'm good friends with Sara Raine who used to be sports editor at Plymouth Herald newspaper l.

Monday

The Doncaster game is the final time season ticket holders will have to use a match code to access iFollow, from the Swindon Town game onwards email addresses will be used to watch iFollow.
IFollow match codes for the Doncaster game were sent out to season ticket holders last Friday - 23 October.

Doncaster Rovers fan Adam from website Into The Empty Net has also kindly agreed to give Pasoti users an insight into his club with a Q&A ...
A: With difficulty! Staff and players were furloughed early in lockdown which has allowed us to keep going, and many fans have been generous when it comes to refunds on Season Tickets and getting involved with funding initiatives, but it is a tough time for everyone at this level and we are just trying to see it through intact.

A: He's brilliant, a very popular figure amongst fans and an astute tactician when it comes to the game. He has found answers for most problems that have arisen in his time managing Rovers and we all hope he stays here for years to come. I doubt we could've attracted anyone better to take the job when he applied last summer.

A: For once we have been proactive and built a well-balanced squad full of talent. It is a very young side as Darren likes to lean on his knowledge of Youth football to maximise the club's efforts in the loan market, and so we only have two players over 30 on the books. Some very talented players have joined on loan, notably Josh Sims from Southampton and Tyreece John-Jules from Arsenal, but overall we have made quality, sensible additions for minimal outlay this season. 

A: I expect us to push for a Play Off place as we have the last couple of years, and our strong start backs up that ambition as we have won away at Charlton and Portsmouth before playing Ipswich off the park at home last week in a 4-1 win. There is no reason why we can't shoot for a top six finish.

A: Barring a shock, Rovers will line up with a 4-2-3-1 formation spearheaded by Fejiri Okenabirhie up front and with three fluid midfielders who interchange roles in the centre of the pitch, of which the most accomplished is our captain Ben Whiteman. We will look to play the ball on the floor, get it out wide and utilise quick but patient passing build-up with the aim of getting around and behind the Plymouth defence.

A: I think Plymouth are about where they'd hope to be at this early stage of the season, winning games against some of the less fancied teams but coming unstuck against the bigger sides. The comeback 4-4 draw with Wimbledon stands out as well! It looks a team with some talented attacking players and I'm sure it will be an evenly contested game on Tuesday night.

A: I'm not one for score predictions but I do think this will be close and have gone for a draw. Probably a score draw!

Doncaster have scored in six of the seven league games played so far, keeping one clean sheet.
The Greens have scored in six of eight league games and have kept two clean sheets.

Doncaster match Frequently Asked Questions ... club website

Ryan Lowe will still be without Conor Grant, George Cooper, Scott Wootton and Niall Canavan for this game as they continue their period of self isolation.

The cover of the match programme ...

Tuesday

Match preview .... Into The Empty Net.

Doncaster team news ... Yorkshire Post.

Rovers left-back Cameron John looks ahead to the game ... Doncaster club website.

Donny manager Darren Moore spoke about tonight's game .... Doncaster club website.
“We know it’s a tough place to go, you have to manage the length of the journey so it’s easy to see why they’re good at home.  
“They are a football club who are on the up after promotion last season, and will be looking to make further strides this season.”
Match preview - Conor Grant may be in contention for a place in the squad following a bout of coronavirus ..... club website.

Oct 14, 2015
Despite losing at home to Crewe on Saturday I predict our excellent home record will come under serious threat this evening. With valuable players missing I can see us losing this one to a Doncaster side I’d expect to be in the mix at the end of the season. Happy to be wrong though